A game a round requiring online subscription?

Remove this Banner Ad

What if (shock horror) people actually like other things on Foxtel that aren't just footy?

Foxtel cops a lot of hate when it is leagues ahead of FTA. I know there's a lot more ads then there used to be on the entertainment channels, but ad-free sport and ad-free movies is pretty good in this day and age

They should go all out and model it off something like NBA League Pass. I'd happily pay $200ish a year to get access to all games in HD and on-demand.

**** Foxtel as far as I'm concerned

NBA league pass is blacked out in the US where ever the games are available on fta or cable.

So they are following that model exactly. they have AFL pass overseas.

But that is to watch it on your computer or tablet.

I want it on my TV in HD.
As I said earlier, if the AFL puts a channel on Roku and Apple TV and all channel aggregators then they'll have a winner
I watch it on my tv dude - either Apple tv or chromecast - flick up from the bottom of your Apple device and AirPlay to apple tv

Doesn't as of yet get broadcast in hd - but here's hoping - perhaps they could divide the non payers vs the payers on definition - fta gets downgraded 720 - pay the Internet subscription and get 1080p

I suspect this may be the start of club based subscriptions, where a viewer would pay $X per season for a certain club's games. A lot of people wouldn't mind that, since they may only be interested in games featuring the team they follow.
Could it be incorporated into your club membership? Login with your membership barcode to watch on any computer?

You know you can listen to it for free on the radio, right?

Or you could go to the pub and watch it for free, or maybe, just maybe you could pay for fox footy

Ffs stop whinging
Foxtel can't service my area without getting a satellite.

Wow! More stuff to pay for? At least the chips are less expensive though right Gil'?

I'd be thrilled if it entitled me to access ALL matches, or a limited number (say 30) of matches that I choose, but why would I pay for?:

A) Foxtel, if there's no guarantee that all the games I wish to watch would be available (add in all the other crap that I'd have to pay for)
B) Online subscription, when there's no guarantee games I wish to watch would be available.

The only option for a dedicated (and well-off) footy fan is to subscribe to A&B, which is of course just a cash grab.

If the AFL is serious about expanding the game, they'd shun moves like these. The fans are the heart of the game, and this would just make it more difficult for them to stay connected with the sport.

Those championing streaming via the AFL may be forgetting how data-intensive streaming a three-hour game is, and then doing that 180+ times a year

Not everyone has, or can afford to have unlimited internet, and certainly not everyone is willing to be with Bigpond to get what would likely be umetered downloads via the AFL
It doesn't matter if you can or can't afford it. There should be a choice for those that want it.

This would capture such a tiny user base unless they chucked every Collingwood or West Coast game on there (which they wouldn't). Reeks of trying to get Foxtel to pay more.

About the only thing the AFL has gotten right with online stuff is the Smart Replay.

I w......................................................................................a.................................................................n...........tt............................o
........................................................re....................................................................p
ly
buffering.jpg

I watch it on my tv dude - either Apple tv or chromecast - flick up from the bottom of your Apple device and AirPlay to apple tv

Doesn't as of yet get broadcast in hd - but here's hoping - perhaps they could divide the non payers vs the payers on definition - fta gets downgraded 720 - pay the Internet subscription and get 1080p

You still need a tablet device before it hits your TV though. I don't have an Apple tablet or apple TV and don't want one.

At least it's a step in the right direction though but they need to release a channel on all devices, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Fire TV. That bypasses the need for a tablet or roaming device. It hooks straight into your TV and internet

I can see the AFL stuffing it up and only allowing access to BigPond subscribers on their Telstra T-Box thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth should the AFL help News Corp and Telstra make money, when they can just deliver live games directly to subscribers to their own service ?
It's a great idea honestly, the only concern is delivery.

When the AFL can start providing a streaming service like the NBA, they should completely ditch foxtel. It will be a different media landscape by then, a roku or apple tv in each home, or direct to a samsung smart set etc. navigating the apps for you subscription services like channels. A lot of people do this already and it is slowly becoming the norm in the US

What if (shock horror) people actually like other things on Foxtel that aren't just footy?

Foxtel cops a lot of hate when it is leagues ahead of FTA. I know there's a lot more ads then there used to be on the entertainment channels, but ad-free sport and ad-free movies is pretty good in this day and age
Its a shithouse product. Expensive, repetitive, lacks on demand content and rarely has desired premium shows.

When the AFL can start providing a streaming service like the NBA, they should completely ditch foxtel. It will be a different media landscape by then, a roku or apple tv in each home, or direct to a samsung smart set etc. navigating the apps for you subscription services like channels. A lot of people do this already and it is slowly becoming the norm in the US

Yep.
I've got a Roku with Netflix, Hulu etc.
Plenty of other channels as well.

It's the way of the future

You mean the one that blacks out all games available in your area on cable and fta ? If we had that it would blackout every game in every state.

Then how does this help you ?

Now you have to do all of the above and pay for this extra exclusive game or the Ainsle footy club does and theyll have to set up streaming etc as well as pay for foxtel.

IF they streamed all the games then thats different but making people who want to watch all games pay for foxtel AND this online thing is a joke.
It won't help me next season. But my original post pretty clearly flagged that I like it as it suggests a move to eventual digital distribution, which is awesome, for the reasons outlined.

It'd only happen if it's simulcast on Foxtel I think. AFL isn't going to make enough just from online subscriptions (not with this decade's internet infrastructure).

Are the "paying to watch is crap grrr" posters remembering some fictional age where every game was on free to air? That has never happened.

It'd only happen if it's simulcast on Foxtel I think. AFL isn't going to make enough just from online subscriptions.

Are the "paying to watch is crap grrr" posters remembering some fictional age where every game was on free to air? That has never happened.

Every game was produced by Channel 7 at one point, mid 90s to 2001, it's just that you didn't get to see literally all games in the tv market you lived in... you got a few full games, and a few highlights packages. If you had C7 (the cable channel), you were able to see a few more games that were not shown on FTA locally.

If it's just an extension of the AFl Live app I'd be perfectly happy. I already pay for all 9 games live via that service anyway, so hopefully that continues - get all 9 games live, not just the 1 extra that you can't get on FTA or Foxtel.

Only thing is it isn't in HD, but that doesn't matter so much to me. As long as they enforce clash jumpers so I can watch the game on my tablet without stressing my eyes - it should all be good. * Uncle Rupert and Foxtel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back