List Mgmt. A-grade midfielders at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Slow as compared to good afl forward pockets. He is fine for up the ground but he is slow compared to the likes of Motlop, Milne, Betts, Garlett, Rioli, Thomas etc.

k. You are comparing him to the fastest 6-8 players in the league. Sure he would be slow as opposed to them in a match race.

Hmac is slow.

Go Catters

Converting Bews in to a tagger would be insanity. Why would we add to our list of self-inflicted problems by robbing ourselves of the only emerging small defender on our list?
My suggestion of using him in that role was more just to get him into the seniors more permanently as he has the defensive capability to play role very well IMO.

The MC seem hellbent on playing Kelly in the role that Bews needs to develop in and with Enright continuing I can see him being in and out again all next year when he desperately needs seniors experience. Cats supporters are crying out for a 'Nick Smith' type when we have a potential one that can't get game time.

I just hope that CS and the MC take a tougher stance with the senior players next year when they don't perform, I think they have too much job security and know it at the moment. Any of the young guys would have been dropped for the performance that Mackie, Kelly et al dished up on Friday night, they have to start getting the same treatment because while this transition period is flopping along nicely, we're not going to get to the top again until the next batch of kids, the Thurlows, Langs, Hartmans, McCarthy's etc get games under their belts.

Bomber had no hesitation in dropping Mackie in 2010 when he wasn't performing, I'm not sure CS is able to make those same tough calls. They need to know they aren't untouchable.

Last edited:
We do and I was probably a bit harsh on McCarthy. I just don't see the hype about him. He needs something other than just intense effort to make it. If he is to have a chance I think he needs to be more of a half forward flanker/midfielder like Chapman then a deep forward pocket given his lack of pace. Motlop is more than fine as a forward pocket if he was fit. as would Johnson be if he was fit. Varcoe doesn't really have the pace anymore. Murdoch is still our best bet. there really is no one else on our list.

Yep, for one simple thing - Murdoch kicks goals. Even when he disappears completely from the game, he can still pop up and kick a goal or two. McCarthy just hasn't done that yet at senior level. If he does, it could become a lot closer.

k. You are comparing him to the fastest 6-8 players in the league. Sure he would be slow as opposed to them in a match race.

Hmac is slow.

Go Catters
Forward pocket is the position where the fastest players play. There are no good slow forward pockets. The closest was S.Johnson but his one touch, evasion and goal kicking skills were elite. McCarthy is ordinary in all those areas.

I'm looking forward to seeing McCarthy play more footy because he has some traits that we don't see from many others - hardness, tenacity, even his vertical leap.

Seeds is asserting that small forwards must be fast. I would disagree. I reckon small forwards need to hit the scoreboard and hit it very, very frequently. Breust, Betts, Ballantyne, Thomas - they all hit the scoreboard monotonously.

This is the big question mark on McCarthy right now. I can't say I've ever watched him and thought, 'he'd be so much better if he was quicker'. I keep thinking, 'he'll be great if he can start hitting the scoreboard'.

Possibly some heresy here, but just asking, not implying-Wonder sometimes if Wells has seen better days. Is he still THE MAN? Or are we really victims of never dropping out of top 4 the past 7-8 years.

I think Wells is the man but something we need to try and do a better job at and I understand its not easy is recruit players who are not injury prone. I cant remember us having this many problems with injuries back when we were developing in 00-03. Obviously that's more a task for the medical staff

Possibly some heresy here, but just asking, not implying-Wonder sometimes if Wells has seen better days. Is he still THE MAN? Or are we really victims of never dropping out of top 4 the past 7-8 years.

I'd say yes he's still the , his mid range picks have been very good to excellent, only don't play Russian roulette with first rounders no need if you just stick with "blue chip"
Even I can pick a good first rounder!
I'm looking forward to seeing McCarthy play more footy because he has some traits that we don't see from many others - hardness, tenacity, even his vertical leap.

Seeds is asserting that small forwards must be fast. I would disagree. I reckon small forwards need to hit the scoreboard and hit it very, very frequently. Breust, Betts, Ballantyne, Thomas - they all hit the scoreboard monotonously.

This is the big question mark on McCarthy right now. I can't say I've ever watched him and thought, 'he'd be so much better if he was quicker'. I keep thinking, 'he'll be great if he can start hitting the scoreboard'.

Ballantyne isn't a great sprinter, he's tough and reads the play well, so is McCarthy,.... McCarthy's got the big leap on top!

The guy's had an injury ridden 6 games and people what to make assumptions based on that? 6 games!.... in any case, I thought he showed plenty of potential in his last game, in fact thought he should've played last week.

On fire today.

Him and Burbs just need to nail their shots , and if I have a query about the both it this lack built in goal nous that the best of the hungry shorts seem to have. And the other little concern I have with Linc in the forwardline is his leaping ability. I do like the adage that every strength is a weakness , and for a small guy to be able to leap is fine, perhaps better than fine but I dont like the idea of him flying for it when a good F&C type would position for the spill. I sort of feel Lang looks the smarter player atm, but that may be harsh.
Still he has a lot to offer, time will tell cause as much as these guys think they have heaps of time , its can be gone in a blink if a better type turns up. As you say , if he can have a day out somewhere it may be the making f him.

Both Perth clubs this year had 4 big no.1 ruckmen. Fremantle: 211, Clarke and Griffin, Moller.

WCE: Cox (now retired), Naitanui, Lycett, Sinclair.

We'd be lucky to have 1.5 between Simpson and McIntosh (and their the only two on our list 200cm+).

Does any other team regularly play rucks under 200cm?

Does any other team regularly play rucks under 200cm?
The point I was making was that there are 2 types of ruckmen. Your genuine no.1 ruckmen and your backup no.2 ruckmen.

The first category are above 200cm. They are the dominant rucks, we only have 2 on our list, both of whom are hardly dominant atm and both are injury prone.

So we don't have enough depth in that department. Those Perth clubs do.

Essentially we lose Simpson and/or McIntosh and we're in trouble big time.

The point I was making was that there are 2 types of ruckmen. Your genuine no.1 ruckmen and your backup no.2 ruckmen.

The first category are above 200cm. They are the dominant rucks, we only have 2 on our list, both of whom are hardly dominant atm and both are injury prone.

So we don't have enough depth in that department. Those Perth clubs do.

Essentially we lose Simpson and/or McIntosh and we're in trouble big time.

Yeah I mentioned we should pick up those ex Crows rucks just for backup, it's free and both are 200cm+

Niether of them are probably no. 1 Rucks but probably better than playing Blitz/Walker/Vardy in there for a whole game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gerard Healy reckons Blitz can become an A-grade player and will be the number one ruckman at the club from here on out. He was VERY impressed by him it's safe to say. He's been a supporter of Blitz all year.

Blitz has done some extraordinary things, but if he grows the necessary 2 inches over summer I'll eat my best hat.

Gerard Healy reckons Blitz can become an A-grade player and will be the number one ruckman at the club from here on out. He was VERY impressed by him it's safe to say. He's been a supporter of Blitz all year.

You kind of need your number one ruckman to be able to win hitouts. He averages 8 hitouts a game this year.

I think Blitz could become an A grade defender, midfielder or forward but not a number 1 ruckman. Just not big enough

I respect Gerard's opinion but if he means an out-and-out A-grade #1 ruckman then I find that hard to agree with. Blicavs actually holds his own OK at centre bounces now despite his height disadvantage because his leap is excellent. But around the ground he lacks the strength to hold position against the really big ruckmen. Again, when he gets to leap at it he is much better equipped to compete but he doesn't get to do that if he's battling the opposition ruckman rather than going 3rd man up.

If Gerard means A-grade generally then, yes, that is a possibility if he keeps improving on his current trajectory.

I respect Gerard's opinion but if he means an out-and-out A-grade #1 ruckman then I find that hard to agree with. Blicavs actually holds his own OK at centre bounces now despite his height disadvantage because his leap is excellent. But around the ground he lacks the strength to hold position against the really big ruckmen. Again, when he gets to leap at it he is much better equipped to compete but he doesn't get to do that if he's battling the opposition ruckman rather than going 3rd man up.

If Gerard means A-grade generally then, yes, that is a possibility if he keeps improving on his current trajectory.

I actually don't respect Healy's opinion at all. He hasn't changed. He likes athletes first and footballers a very distant second. He always has. I'd rather just let Blicavs focus on improving where he is - as a 2nd ruckman. He's not a A-grade ruckman and isn't near it right now.

I actually don't respect Healy's opinion at all. He hasn't changed. He likes athletes first and footballers a very distant second. He always has. I'd rather just let Blicavs focus on improving where he is - as a 2nd ruckman. He's not a A-grade ruckman and isn't near it right now.
Maybe I should qualify what I said: I rate Gerard's opinion relatively more highly than most others commenting on football these days. I think generally he is much more measured in his assessments rather than the infuriating tendency of the likes of BT, Darcy et al to swing wildly in their opinions depending on what has happened in the last 5 seconds of their goldfish-brain existences!

What sort of comment is that?
Gerard Healy WAS an exceptional FOOTBALLER. He actually played the game at an elite level, and was a Brownlow medallist, 4x B&F, AA, Leigh Matthews medallist, etc. Unlike us keyboard wizards, his opinion is at least based on significant and relevant personal experience.
Unlike your assertion of his likes, he played like a true footballer, not an athlete.

What sort of comment is that?
Gerard Healy WAS an exceptional FOOTBALLER. He actually played the game at an elite level, and was a Brownlow medallist, 4x B&F, AA, Leigh Matthews medallist, etc. Unlike us keyboard wizards, his opinion is at least based on significant and relevant personal experience.
Unlike your assertion of his likes, he played like a true footballer, not an athlete.

He was a good footballer.
He went into the live TV commentary gig straight after retiring.
He regularly and repeatedly mis-named or confused players in his commentary.
They were Sydney Swans team-mates he'd played with the season before.

He was a good footballer.
He went into the live TV commentary gig straight after retiring.
He regularly and repeatedly mis-named or confused players in his commentary.
They were Sydney Swans team-mates he'd played with the season before.
So what?
Think his overall knowledge of the game and its players deserves some respect, even if he had some minor commentary faux pas.

So good footballers don't necessarily make good commentators.
Particularly when they're egotistical twerps.
Why is he hosting an award winning footy show, still commentating, so many years after retirement?
Somebody in high places likes him.
BTW, GH is not an egotistical twerp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back