List Mgmt. A-grade midfielders at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Blitz has done some extraordinary things, but if he grows the necessary 2 inches over summer I'll eat my best hat.
I think there's been a lot of threatened hat-eating going on this weekend. :D
Perhaps Blitz will revolutionise the whole ruck position? ;)

Seriously though- I can see we might struggle in the ruck for some years yet. If we bring in a mid-20s 200+cm player from another team, he's going to have to learn our setups etc plus settle in at the club and his new home. If we rookie a newbie or take the tallest player on the draft, we'll be waiting a few extra years for him to mature.

I think we will just have to continue our modified slingshot tactics of rebounding from defence - which means shoring up our currently ageing backline, patching it where necessary, until we've filled the ruck position with a capable No. 1 ruck and also strengthened the midfield, which is still a couple of years from its best.

You kind of need your number one ruckman to be able to win hitouts. He averages 8 hitouts a game this year.
Blitz has done some extraordinary things, but if he grows the necessary 2 inches over summer I'll eat my best hat.

He averages 10 as a backup ruckman sometimes even third ruck when McIntosh and Simpson played and he's 198 cm, that's not that short for a ruckman.

I think ideally we would recruit another ruckman to start. But if we can't snag a decent one he may be our best bet with McIntosh a year older and Simpson's back problems.

He was a good footballer.
He went into the live TV commentary gig straight after retiring.
He regularly and repeatedly mis-named or confused players in his commentary.
They were Sydney Swans team-mates he'd played with the season before.
Did he get repeatedly hit in the head when he played footy? That might be the reason for the memory problems.
I didn't play footy but sometimes I get my kids' names mixed up :( and that can be embarrassing when I'm mixing the boys' names up with the girls' :(

Did he get repeatedly hit in the head when he played footy? That might be the reason for the memory problems.
I didn't play footy but sometimes I get my kids' names mixed up :( and that can be embarrassing when I'm mixing the boys' names up with the girls' :(

They weren't memory problems, he just didn't recognise his team-mates because he had been and was so self-centred.

Seriously though- I can see we might struggle in the ruck for some years yet. If we bring in a mid-20s 200+cm player from another team, he's going to have to learn our setups etc plus settle in at the club and his new home. If we rookie a newbie or take the tallest player on the draft, we'll be waiting a few extra years for him to mature.

I don't think this is too much of an issue, recently there have been a lot of mature ruckman changing clubs and fitting in straight away, players like Jolly, Mumford, Maric, Jacobs, Griffen of the top of my head.

I don't think this is too much of an issue, recently there have been a lot of mature ruckman changing clubs and fitting in straight away, players like Jolly, Mumford, Maric, Jacobs, Griffen of the top of my head.
I've read a few names floated about here but how many of those would be ready to be the #1 ruck at Geelong? (I'm assuming the worst case scenario here - Simpson retiring and HMac unfit) Most sound like they're the third wheel at their own club and still only young.

I've read a few names floated about here but how many of those would be ready to be the #1 ruck at Geelong? (I'm assuming the worst case scenario here - Simpson retiring and HMac unfit) Most sound like they're the third wheel at their own club and still only young.

From the top of my head

Giles from GWS
Bellchambers from Essendon
If we are desperate Griffen from Freemantle (he's 28 or 29 years old)
Warnock from Carlton
If we are really desperate Currie from North (he isn't much better than VFL standard)

I reckon McCarthy has all the skill to be a Robbie Gray type forward-Mid, hope we persevere with him despite his injury proneness

I reckon McCarthy has all the skill to be a Robbie Gray type forward-Mid, hope we persevere with him despite his injury proneness

We have to, there's no one else that fills the dynamic small forward role at Geelong apart from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You kind of need your number one ruckman to be able to win hitouts. He averages 8 hitouts a game this year.

Agreed. We have about 20 #2 ruck options. It's the #1 we need. And blitz as good as he has been and as high as his ceiling might be will be man things in this game... A #1 ruck is not one of them. I just don't see that.
Go Catters

Agreed. We have about 20 #2 ruck options. It's the #1 we need. And blitz as good as he has been and as high as his ceiling might be will be man things in this game... A #1 ruck is not one of them. I just don't see that.
Go Catters

It's not something I see him doing consistantly, It wouldn't be fair to ask him to do it, but he can fill the role occasionally, after all other option are exhausted.

So you are not a fan?
Time for a PM
OK, I've read your PM (thanks for the time and courtesy) and in the light of what you've told me, I unreservedly withdraw my characterisation of him.
It was based solely on his media persona, and I've reminded myself (for the 456th, but probably not the last, time) that using a person's TV image to judge what they are really like is utterly stupid.
Sorry.:thumbsu:

And unfortunetly if that happens I cant see anything other than yet again pandering to the unfit , finding a spakfilla type from somewhere , hoping Vardy can change his dna and not get injured , hope Blitz keeps developing , trade for a 20/22 year old ....or do something really far out...draft a ruckman and develop him.

The last two will not help much next year , he will be well unders but trading in a 20 year may be slightly better than drafting an 18 year old...but if I had a chance Id love to get hold of that kid Wright. Solve issues up forward and in the ruck. What would it take to get Melbs P2?

And unfortunetly if that happens I cant see anything other than yet again pandering to the unfit , finding a spakfilla type from somewhere , hoping Vardy can change his dna and not get injured , hope Blitz keeps developing , trade for a 20/22 year old ....or do something really far out...draft a ruckman and develop him.

The last two will not help much next year , he will be well unders but trading in a 20 year may be slightly better than drafting an 18 year old...but if I had a chance Id love to get hold of that kid Wright. Solve issues up forward and in the ruck. What would it take to get Melbs P2?
We need to offload some personnel- pick your package of some hard workers and maybe a pick. How many spaces do Melb have on their list?
Bringing in a 20 year old brings things forward 2 years and shortens the period we have to wait for him to peak. I guess it's dependent on how good the very talls are in the draft. Then it'd be a matter of the slightly known vs the unknown.

Its hard to tell , I remember in an episode of on the couch after we lost to Carlton in 04 Robert walls said they only young player at Geelong that excited him was ablett and ling. Not many of our triple premiership players were rated highly when they were young.
Really back in 04 I was 8 and the only three names I heard of was Ablett, Bartel and Mooney

Not saying he would ever be an A grader but Murdoch needs to be flogged with some serious running drills this summer. Watching the likes of Atley and Polec run and kick it like they do, Murdoch can do that, but he seems to only get the ball a few times a game.

Maybe can you can't teach it and he is a lost cause but I think it would help if he had the running capacity for repeat efforts and not just occasional burst.

Gee he is a frustrating player. They need to think very carefully about what they want from Murdoch, because his current role is just not working. Need to hit re-set on his career and try him in a new role. Start him in the VFL next year as a midfielder. Leave him there for two months until he comes back a new player.

I don't want to just roll up in April and see Murdoch on a flank showing occasional flashes.

Not saying he would ever be an A grader but Murdoch needs to be flogged with some serious running drills this summer. Watching the likes of Atley and Polec run and kick it like they do, Murdoch can do that, but he seems to only get the ball a few times a game.

Maybe can you can't teach it and he is a lost cause but I think it would help if he had the running capacity for repeat efforts and not just occasional burst.

Gee he is a frustrating player. They need to think very carefully about what they want from Murdoch, because his current role is just not working. Need to hit re-set on his career and try him in a new role. Start him in the VFL next year as a midfielder. Leave him there for two months until he comes back a new player.

I don't want to just roll up in April and see Murdoch on a flank showing occasional flashes.

He is but he is still young. I have to remind myself that. I have wanted to blast him way more than I have and wanted him out on Friday night in favour of Bews. What might have been.

Also have to remember that he's got that flukey talent and pace to burn for breaking lines, and is the fastest bloke on our list according to those whom are on it.

I remember him either this or last preseason at KP vs Crows he drifted across HFF and took a pearler or a grab in front of the pack. Landed on both feet rolled onto his left and slotted it from 50 off about 4 steps.

The kid has the skills. I don't know whether the length of the season got him ( probably the first time he has played this many games this long) but yes its frustrating.

Thing is, he is young,is skilled, and has played in several finals now. Im still backing him in to be really really good at his height and pace.

Go Catters

Murder has skills we just don't see then enough but playing as the 3rd forward this year was a bit harsh on him IMO.Once Vardy was injuried Brown/Walker should of been in to take CHF jimmy to 3 forward spot mudder 4th.Hopefully he can have have a break out year like mots did next year now that McCarthy is fit mudder might get a new role and play up the ground.

He is but he is still young. I have to remind myself that. I have wanted to blast him way more than I have and wanted him out on Friday night in favour of Bews. What might have been.
Also have to remember that he's got that flukey talent and pace to burn for breaking lines, and is the fastest bloke on our list according to those whom are on it.
I remember him either this or last preseason at KP vs Crows he drifted across HFF and took a pearler or a grab in front of the pack. Landed on both feet rolled onto his left and slotted it from 50 off about 4 steps.
The kid has the skills. I don't know whether the length of the season got him ( probably the first time he has played this many games this long) but yes its frustrating.
Thing is, he is young,is skilled, and has played in several finals now. Im still backing him in to be really really good at his height and pace.

Go Catters

I don't think it was the length of the season that got him Daz, his stats confirm a remarkably consistent output all season long (apart from the 2 finals where he was just completely out of his class).
He just stayed at exactly the same level all season, with no improvement whatever, and that's his problem. He doesn't have to be a star in game 40, but he needs to be better than he was in game 20, and he's not, he's exactly where he was, and it's a whole season wasted for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back