A-League Crowds 12/13

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the Perth v Victory game and I swear the stadium had more than 17,676 in it, it looked at least 75 per cent full from where I was sitting.
Seems to be a common occurance at Victory games.

I'm not buying that the stadium fits 30k, reckon it's more like 26-7k tbh.

The issue which makes it harder to understand Victory crowds at AAMI Park is we compare to Storm, Rebels & Heart crowds who all close parts of the Stadium off making it look like there is more people there but the Top Deck on Old Olympic Park wing (Camera Side) is closed or in Hearts case both Top Decks on the wings. Victory are the only club that makes use of the full stadium for each and every match.

At the game it does look like 20k+ however on TV you could see 17,676 looked about right.​

Seems to be a common occurance at Victory games.

I'm not buying that the stadium fits 30k, reckon it's more like 26-7k tbh.

Seems as though the discussion surrounding AAMI Park's capacity hasn't stopped even after the venue has been built lol.

Good to see all sports doing well in pulling crowds to the only world class rectangle stadium in Melbourne.

Top ten Crowds at AAMI Park:

29,442 - Australia v New Zealand (International Rugby League - Stadium Opening)
28,580 - Melbourne v Brisbane (National Rugby League)
26,579 - Melbourne v Melbourne (A-League)
26,395 - Melbourne v Melbourne (A-League)
28,897 - Melbourne v Melbourne (A-League)
25,543 - Melbourne v Manly (National Rugby League)
25,524 - Melbourne v New South Wales (Super Rugby)
24,214 - Australia v Saudi Arabia (FIFA World Cup Qualifiers)
24,081 - Melbourne v St George Ilawarra (National Rugby League)
23,059 - Melbourne v Melbourne (A-League)

^Ah fair enough I didn't know there had been that many crowds around the 28k mark

Also I remember hearing that the stadium is designed to look fuller than it actually is (however that works lol).

Running season averages
Round 1: 18,752
Round 2: 17,563
Round 3: 16,376
Round 4: 15,466
Round 5: 15,036
Round 6: ??
Round 7: 14,319
Round 8: 13,705
Round 9: 13,404

As previously posted, this seems to be a trend that doesnt seem to occur in other codes, although I could be wrong, I dont have actuall figures. Although figures are great for the start of the season, and attendance to date is well up, the trend itself should be a worry. It shows that while getting in big name players works for attracting interest, the A-league struggles to hold that interest. A decline of over 5000 (29%) average attendance over just 9 rounds should be ringing alarm bells.

Will the new TV deal have an impact on crowds?

Pretty good crowd, hope Adelaide get a bit of momentum from it. Not looking forward to the Heart crowd today, could be very low.

Running season averages
Round 1: 18,752
Round 2: 17,563
Round 3: 16,376
Round 4: 15,466
Round 5: 15,036
Round 6: ??
Round 7: 14,319
Round 8: 13,705
Round 9: 13,404

As previously posted, this seems to be a trend that doesnt seem to occur in other codes, although I could be wrong, I dont have actuall figures. Although figures are great for the start of the season, and attendance to date is well up, the trend itself should be a worry. It shows that while getting in big name players works for attracting interest, the A-league struggles to hold that interest. A decline of over 5000 (29%) average attendance over just 9 rounds should be ringing alarm bells.

Will the new TV deal have an impact on crowds?
Well there's the issue of cultural significance. That's the underlying difference between A-League attendances and those of the AFL and NRL. Your A-League side isn't as ingrained into you as your AFL club, or, at least for the majority of people. An example: Richmond and Heart are both lingering just below finals potential, but above the bottom. The Tigers fan will probably go to every Tigers home game, but possibly only two or three Heart ones. The core base of A-League clubs doesn't really change an awful lot. The fluctuations are due to bandwagon effect (via success of marquee names).

More prominent codes in Australia have less reliance on the notion of a marquee. When it happens, it's very rare. Chris Judd going to Carlton might not have a huge effect for the first four games, then a waning one. Why? Because teams are so divided in these markets. Not many will go to a Carlton game just to see Judd. Yet that passion and parochialism doesn't exist in the A-league (to the same degree) as fans have less attachment: Bandwagoning is more acceptable.

Well there's the issue of cultural significance. That's the underlying difference between A-League attendances and those of the AFL and NRL. Your A-League side isn't as ingrained into you as your AFL club, or, at least for the majority of people. An example: Richmond and Heart are both lingering just below finals potential, but above the bottom. The Tigers fan will probably go to every Tigers home game, but possibly only two or three Heart ones. The core base of A-League clubs doesn't really change an awful lot. The fluctuations are due to bandwagon effect (via success of marquee names).

More prominent codes in Australia have less reliance on the notion of a marquee. When it happens, it's very rare. Chris Judd going to Carlton might not have a huge effect for the first four games, then a waning one. Why? Because teams are so divided in these markets. Not many will go to a Carlton game just to see Judd. Yet that passion and parochialism doesn't exist in the A-league (to the same degree) as fans have less attachment: Bandwagoning is more acceptable.
I agree, and I suppose that once the A-League gets a foothold and becomes more viable to the point where young kids growing up following an A-League club, we will begin to see that love and attachment for their clubs. It is a bit of a tough road ahead, but I think we will get there...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 10

Adelaide v Melbourne: 14,115 - Hindmarsh
Heart v Perth: 4,505 - Swan Street
Newcastle v Central Coast: 13,112 - Hunter Stadium
Wellington v Sydney: 7,375 - Westpac Stadium
Western Sydney v Brisbane: 6,755 - Parramata

Total: 45,862
Average: 9,172

There looked to be a lot more at the wellington game, however what you see on the TV is often misleading because they move a lot of people to the side facing the camera

Will put up the terrible form and 37 degree heat as reasons, but it is poor. A one-off crowd below 5k isn't quite GCU-like though.

Seems to be a lot of excuses made in here for poor crowds. People putting poor crowds down to wet weather, hot weather, poor performances etc. Just an observation. The GCU-like was a joke made in jest against my side's local rivals.

Heart should get Ronaldinho. Oh, and a coach who isn't obsessed with forming a Dad's Army. Aloisi always seemed an alright person, and he's an iconic Australian sports person... but jesus, he's killed the crux of the club (youth culture) and injected nothing of real worth.

Why would the Heart get respectable crowds? They're behind, but in time they'll notch that 10k average. They just need an identifiable image and a title or four.

Victory has five years on them. Victory have won titles. Victory are a well known name and brand and shirt. Victory had Kewell.

Over on the Heart forums most agree that in a dream world we would be playing in a small 15k stadium in a distinct geographical location to differentiate ourselves from the Victory, because at the moment, we are basically the same, just in red and white.

We still do have our youth policy and it has been quite successful, Babalj and Good are two examples, both playing overseas, Behich also has a bright future, Goodwin got his start here. The issue this season, is that so many talented young players left and we have had to fill that hole quickly, which is why we have recruited guys like Garcia, Grella and to a lesser extent, Tadic (but he is only 24 so it really doesn't count). We have very talented young players coming through now such as Walker, Vrankovic and Garrucio, but we cannot fill our team with all of these young players and expect to do well. We need experience too.

All valid points. But the main issue with Melbourne is that no geographical divide exists. Even Perth probably has more of a separator that could split two clubs. I mean, things like socio-economics are also mostly irrelevant these days in sports. Marquee and title. Marquee and title. Marquee and title...

Over on the Heart forums most agree that in a dream world we would be playing in a small 15k stadium in a distinct geographical location to differentiate ourselves from the Victory, because at the moment, we are basically the same, just in red and white.
Wrong. Heart aren't scum ;)

Adelaide, if it had enough people, could probably play off two teams in a "us v them" encounter.

IMO, the West is more working class with most of the East being your more "well-to-do" types.

The North is just a mess. It has some decent spots if you go looking far enough, but most of it is a mess

All valid points. But the main issue with Melbourne is that no geographical divide exists. Even Perth probably has more of a separator that could split two clubs. I mean, things like socio-economics are also mostly irrelevant these days in sports. Marquee and title. Marquee and title. Marquee and title...
I agree, lets just say that the Heart decide to move to a new stadium (hypothetical of course) and base themselves in the Eastern Suburbs, that is all fine and good, but then you alienate people from the west (like me), that is why in the early days of our existence we really pushed the whole grassroots thing and being a welcoming and friendly club (and when talking to guys in Yarraside, that is why they came to support Heart), unfortunately that doesn't resonate with the average joe who wants to see a winning team and couldn't care less about that. I have no issue with being a small, friendly club who supports grassroots soccer and promotes youth, as long as it is sustainable, and to get to that sustainability we have to start winning titles and getting marquees.

Speaking of Perth's geographical divides, if the support was there would a club based in Fremantle be viable?

Wrong. Heart aren't scum ;)
Haha, well most Heart fans would agree with that statement.

We still do have our youth policy and it has been quite successful, Babalj and Good are two examples, both playing overseas, Behich also has a bright future, Goodwin got his start here. The issue this season, is that so many talented young players left and we have had to fill that hole quickly, which is why we have recruited guys like Garcia, Grella and to a lesser extent, Tadic (but he is only 24 so it really doesn't count). We have very talented young players coming through now such as Walker, Vrankovic and Garrucio, but we cannot fill our team with all of these young players and expect to do well. We need experience too.

you do not have a youth policy. you never did and never will

the fact that people believe this is just ridiculous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back