A-League - Round 27: Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading mv.net is gold right now. Sydney's 2 goals were of course flukes and Melbourne were far better on the day but it just wasn't their day.

:rolleyes: :thumbsu:

First one was,second one was a very good strike by the bloke that The Cove booed then all of a sudden did a turnabout face yesterday.:eek:

Looking at the stats,Victory did indeed dominate.

Just didn't have the firepower up forward.

REVENGE THURSDAY LADS WHEN THE REAL FANS OF THE A-LEAGUE ROAR!:cool:

LOL@ The rent a Cove booing him one week then cheering him off the ground the next.

Happens all the time in sport, people love a player when they're winning games and loathe them when they're not. Not all fans are like that, but a large number of them are and you're naive if you think it's just a Sydney thing.

No they didn't. Sydney were by far the better team and over the course of the season were more consistent than Melbourne.

With all the injuries I can see Melbourne going out in straight sets.

More consistent? Bit of a strange call given they were separated by one point, Melbourne led the league for a lot of the season and lost fewer games than Sydney. In fact, neither side was really what you would call "consistent" - both sides lost about a third of their games. Both sides had up-and-down seasons in a campaign that went down to the last match.

Personally I thought that Melbourne were unlucky yesterday and deserved at least a draw. Things could easily have been very different. Not much went the Victory's way (though we were also at fault at times).

Agree with your last point.

The fact that it was 5-0 to Sydney against Melbourne during the season is the difference to me. Not being sarcastic or trolling, but when the final standings are so close it's fair to say that scoreline means Sydney deserve to be on top.

I'll give credit for Melbourne having some of the most passionate and loyal fans, but by all reports your mob was pretty placid yesterday and the home fans created an awesome atmosphere.

If you were there you would've seen that's not even close to true (Victory fans being placid that is).

Ill have some vids I'll be able to post soon as well. Yesterday was the best non-final away support contingent of the season. (visiting Adelaide + Perth fans at Etihad a very close second).

Merrick is a flog.

what was he doing, using a back 3, when all we needed was a draw??

and subbing Angulo for Surat had me completely stumped. Angulo was one of our best players up till then.

s**t hit the fan after that point.

If you were there you would've seen that's not even close to true (Victory fans being placid that is).

Ill have some vids I'll be able to post soon as well. Yesterday was the best non-final away support contingent of the season. (visiting Adelaide + Perth fans at Etihad a very close second).

Feel free, I wasn't there so I'm not making claims I'm just going by what I've heard/seen. To say Melbourne was the hype is ridiculous though, you don't need to be there to see and hear what the Sydney supporters were like.

We were the hype. I did enjoy your stadium but that was largely due to our large contingent of fellow travelers.

Sydney's 'once a season fans' are an embarrassment. There is no denying the best fans in the league are Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. Sydney fans are behind Wellington fans IMO due to their fickle nature.

Hey, everywhere sydney goes, the crowd swells at away games. The hype is not just when your lot come here, it's when we go to you.

Yes, Sydney has always been a tough sporting market to crack for football, for a number of different reasons, but make no mistake, the A-league needs a big Sydney, and Melbourne knows it. Saying that, the culture of the club is starting to slowly but surely develop. I think you might be pleasantly surprised over the next few years at the development of sydney FC.

Merrick is a flog.

Firstly, who was there at his disposal to play in the back 4?
Secondly its hardily the coaches fault 2 players missed guilt edged chances that would have killed the contest early.

and subbing Angulo for Surat had me completely stumped. Angulo was one of our best players up till then.

Disagree. Angulo is too light and soft to play at a-league especially with refs like Breeze. For all his trickery, I haven't seen many goal scoring opportunities arise yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they didn't. Sydney were by far the better team and over the course of the season were more consistent than Melbourne.

With all the injuries I can see Melbourne going out in straight sets.

Sydney only had 2 shots all game that troubled us.

We were on top in midfield & our defence was on top as well. They hit us on the break twice, one of which was a pot shot which Kisel hadn't come close with all game. I'm not sure they even had a shot in the penalty area.

The difference was there defence was killed every attack and we played without luck.

Over the season, they were more consistant than us thats for sure. I believe that our best is better but we didn't play to that level often enough.

Merrick is a flog.

Angulo's biggest issue is his lack of size. Very skillful but gets taken off the ball to easily.

IMO, I would have brought on Surat for Broxham and brought on Elasi with 30 mins to go for Pondeljak or Ward.

the key to going to the football in australia and any event in sydney is to know the right game or event to go to.

the weekend before Perth Glory were in town but the weather was absolutely shocking, i was put off by the fact the central coast mariners vs newcastle jets match was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch the night before. the crowd for that game was only 8000 at parramatta stadium. but the weather was appalling that day as well and i made the right call in not going in the end.

however melbourne v sydney even though im not a supporter of either team, i went because of the fact it was 1. the premiership up for grabs, 2. melbourne/ sydney rivalry - cant go wrong there... 3. for a while there the weather was actually good.

nothing beats going to a game of soccer when you have actual singing of songs (not aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi at the cricket or tennis). or the library-like atmosphere you sometimes get at other codes

the key to going to the football in australia and any event in sydney is to know the right game or event to go to.

the weekend before Perth Glory were in town but the weather was absolutely shocking, i was put off by the fact the central coast mariners vs newcastle jets match was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch the night before. the crowd for that game was only 8000 at parramatta stadium. but the weather was appalling that day as well and i made the right call in not going in the end.

however melbourne v sydney even though im not a supporter of either team, i went because of the fact it was 1. the premiership up for grabs, 2. melbourne/ sydney rivalry - cant go wrong there... 3. for a while there the weather was actually good.

nothing beats going to a game of soccer when you have actual singing of songs (not aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi at the cricket or tennis). or the library-like atmosphere you sometimes get at other codes

I actually think this bloke is being serious.

Xfactor1970, you have no understanding of sport (like many of your fellow Sydney residents). That's fine, keep turning up at whatever the latest Sydney trendy event is (as long as the weather's fine.) e.g. Posh Spice's husband v Sydney FC

However, it's probably best for everyone if you refrain further from making a complete tit of yourself on this forum.

Oh my f**king God!:eek::eek::eek:

Words do not describe how funny this is.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Firstly, who was there at his disposal to play in the back 4?
Secondly its hardily the coaches fault 2 players missed guilt edged chances that would have killed the contest early.

I would have started with a back 4 of surat, leijer, roddy and broxham.

I think Merrick's lineup was too attacking from the get go.

Disagree. Angulo is too light and soft to play at a-league especially with refs like Breeze. For all his trickery, I haven't seen many goal scoring opportunities arise yet.

Angulo was one of our best players up until being taken off.

With Carlos being manheld, he was the only guy that could create something. Should have been left on, and Pondeljak should have been the one to go imo.

Got to agree wholeheartedly with dood's post where he says we could go in straight sets. Kruse = OUT, Thompson = OUT, Vargas = DOUBTFUL. We can make these excuses, however, the depth of the squad needs to be questioned. I personally think we can still do it, but it is going to be an uphill battle. We need at least a two goal result against Sydney in Melbourne to get through to the GF.

Congrats to Sydney...deserved the win and have been the best side in the league this season imo. As a neutral in this finals series I hope they go on and win it now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back