akneal

All Australian
May 1, 2012
woop woop
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
I have been thinking of this idea for a while now. And knowing the AFL there is close to 0 chance it will ever happen, but I still think it's a good idea and is worth throwing out there.

So there is a reasonably general consensus that Ethiad stadium isn't great for footy. Well 9/10 games there are Victorian teams (Usually Dogs, North, Saints) playing interstate sides where there isn't a big crowd expected. So what would it be like if the AFL gave funds to St Kilda, North Melbourne and Bulldogs to extend their training venues so games against teams like GWS, Gold Coast, West Coast, etc.
The extensions don't have to be huge, maybe a capacity of around 20k (half of it could even be standing). This would make the "home ground advantage" a genuine thing, would bring back a bit of heritage to the game and somewhat a grassroots type of atmosphere, what was a terrible crowd at Ethiad would be a great crowd at these venues and have a great atmosphere.
Even Carlton could use Visy Park...
I think you would lose no more than a couple of thousand attendance MAX and if the AFL think more than that will be lost just fixture it at the G.
One thing I like about the NRL is that each team is actually from somewhere, whereas the AFL Vic team just plays at the G or Ethiad.
What do people think of this?

I have been thinking of this idea for a while now. And knowing the AFL there is close to 0 chance it will ever happen, but I still think it's a good idea and is worth throwing out there.

So there is a reasonably general consensus that Ethiad stadium isn't great for footy. Well 9/10 games there are Victorian teams (Usually Dogs, North, Saints) playing interstate sides where there isn't a big crowd expected. So what would it be like if the AFL gave funds to St Kilda, North Melbourne and Bulldogs to extend their training venues so games against teams like GWS, Gold Coast, West Coast, etc.
The extensions don't have to be huge, maybe a capacity of around 20k (half of it could even be standing). This would make the "home ground advantage" a genuine thing, would bring back a bit of heritage to the game and somewhat a grassroots type of atmosphere, what was a terrible crowd at Ethiad would be a great crowd at these venues and have a great atmosphere.
I think you would lose no more than a couple of thousand attendance MAX and if the AFL think more than that will be lost just fixture it at the G.
One thing I like about the NRL is that each team is actually from somewhere, whereas the AFL Vic team just plays at the G or Ethiad.

I have no idea why you Vics rag on Etihad so much

"Etihad stadium isn't great for footy"... Victorians confuse me.
When you have a Ferrari in your garage, a Holden just isn't as good. No matter how new. It doesn't matter that other people drive beat up 1980 Fords, you have a Ferrari so whenever you have to drive the Holden it just isn't the same.

You want the AFL to just fork out a few 100 million dollars so 3 teams can have some kind of 1070s home ground advantage ?

Funds for each club to build a new venue, or build one venue that all of them can share?

That's the boutique stadium argument all over again, but apparently can't happen till 2020 or something* because the Victorian government signed a contract with the owners of the Docklands stadium not to approve construction of any new stadium that might compete with them.

*not sure of the exact date.

The majority of clubs, everyone except Essendon actually, have terrible stadium deals with Etihad. Smaller clubs got shafted needing 40k attendance to break even.

The poster said "it wasn't great for footy" but didn't exactly expand on that. Is it the stadium deals or the stadium itself? Never been but it seems a quality stadium to me and seems to have better viewing angles than say, Subi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You want the AFL to just fork out a few 100 million dollars so 3 teams can have some kind of 1070s home ground advantage ?
Ah yes, the drama of the 1070s. The Roman Reptiles playing their home games at the Colosseum, when the Greeks wanted them to have to play in Pompeii. Dark times, they were.

Stupid idea.
False economy.
It does not make sense to spend millions building stadia to 'save' millions.

While not as good as the G, Ethiad is a great venue. You feel on top of the action, it's a modern stadium with modern design and it's in a good location.
It's bad financially for the clubs and the surface is awful though.

The extensions don't have to be huge, maybe a capacity of around 20k (half of it could even be standing).
This would make the "home ground advantage" a genuine thing, would bring back a bit of heritage to the game and somewhat a grassroots type of atmosphere, what was a terrible crowd at Ethiad would be a great crowd at these venues and have a great atmosphere.

Someone has never heard of economics before...

Quick summary for our interstate friends, please now stop asking

- their clubs lose money playing there, rather than making it (not an issue for us thankfully)
- train is fine, for those who choose to drive (can be easier with young kids etc), parking is either (a) impossible, or (b) like $35 to park at the stadium. Yes, they charge the car more to get in than the driver
- if you wish to pre-book, you pay a ridiculous booking fee
- if you want to buy at the gate, you line up for about 35 mins as they generally have about 20% of the ticket windows open. Or you can arrive 2 hours early and stare at empty grass
- the prices are ridiculous. You can't get a seat for the regular price unless it's in the clouds. If you want a more reasonable seat, the prices go up very steeply
- standing room isn't catered for except for a small bay on either wing. Standing anywhere else gives a s**t view
- there's nothing around the ground for before or after the game. A couple of tiny bars which hold about 12 people each, otherwise you have go walk for 15 mins down to the docks (which are dead. Kind if like a serial killer's haunt), or go to King St, maybe to the strippers and/or get king-hit by some maniac in the street
- the Docklands area was to make Melbourne into a waterfront city. More than anything else, the catastrophic design and placement of the stadium destroyed that. Docklands is now a wasteland. People resent it. It's all so amateur.
- it replaced Waverley which was much loved by many in the far outer east and right down to the Peninsula. Huge footy loving population and many are still bitter
- the surface is often s**t, players slipping over which can ruin a game
- if the roof is open, the huge shadows cast by the design make viewing (and playing) difficult as the ball constantly goes from pitch black to blinding light
- the gloss is taken off every big game there. A full house of 50k is fine, but you just know it could have been up the road with another 20k+ people there

Yes, it's better than Subiaco. Big *in deal. Melbourne 2013 was better than Fitzroy 1996.

You have to keep in mind this was a very modern, terribly expensive stadium that was sold to everybody as worlds best. Over promise, under deliver has a lot to do with it.

That's 4 years after the battle.....The Battle of Hastings

In 2025 the stadium will be owned and operated by the AFL.

Quick summary for our interstate friends, please now stop asking

- their clubs lose money playing there, rather than making it (not an issue for us thankfully)
- train is fine, for those who choose to drive (can be easier with young kids etc), parking is either (a) impossible, or (b) like $35 to park at the stadium. Yes, they charge the car more to get in than the driver
- if you wish to pre-book, you pay a ridiculous booking fee
- if you want to buy at the gate, you line up for about 35 mins as they generally have about 20% of the ticket windows open. Or you can arrive 2 hours early and stare at empty grass
- the prices are ridiculous. You can't get a seat for the regular price unless it's in the clouds. If you want a more reasonable seat, the prices go up very steeply
- standing room isn't catered for except for a small bay on either wing. Standing anywhere else gives a s**t view
- there's nothing around the ground for before or after the game. A couple of tiny bars which hold about 12 people each, otherwise you have go walk for 15 mins down to the docks (which are dead. Kind if like a serial killer's haunt), or go to King St, maybe to the strippers and/or get king-hit by some maniac in the street
- the Docklands area was to make Melbourne into a waterfront city. More than anything else, the catastrophic design and placement of the stadium destroyed that. Docklands is now a wasteland. People resent it. It's all so amateur.
- it replaced Waverley which was much loved by many in the far outer east and right down to the Peninsula. Huge footy loving population and many are still bitter
- the surface is often s**t, players slipping over which can ruin a game
- if the roof is open, the huge shadows cast by the design make viewing (and playing) difficult as the ball constantly goes from pitch black to blinding light
- the gloss is taken off every big game there. A full house of 50k is fine, but you just know it could have been up the road with another 20k+ people there

Yes, it's better than Subiaco. Big ****in deal. Melbourne 2013 was better than Fitzroy 1996.

You have to keep in mind this was a very modern, terribly expensive stadium that was sold to everybody as worlds best. Over promise, under deliver has a lot to do with it.

whereas in india you just share your 2 room house with 42 other people, palestine you are merely constantly in fear of a warhead destroying your suburb, and in rural china there is only f*** all to eat and the drinking water is full of smelted titanium.

must really suck having to watch the footy at etihad 11 times a year!

for a final or big occaisions nothing beats the MCG, but for regular home and away matches etihad is an excellent venue.

whereas in india you just share your 2 room house with 42 other people, palestine you are merely constantly in fear of a warhead destroying your suburb, and in rural china there is only f*** all to eat and the drinking water is full of smelted titanium.

must really suck having to watch the footy at etihad 11 times a year!
You're right. We shouldn't dislike anything. Ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back