Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Don't see much point using him at all imo

Taking games of kids at his age is pointless

We not gonna make the 8 so use every game we have to teach the kids

Those that think he will suddenly step up coz he played well in the VFL are kidding themselves

Oh dear ! Thought you had started to mellow.
Silly thing to say MD , he will be needed , and by the way deserves a spot.

I have him in my Supercoach side. Gonna be a good cashcow.

take him out - he will get upgraded, he might even play round 1, but his job security is poor imo. I can see him being in and out of the side on a needs basis.

Take Clancee Pearce instead.

Cori

All Australian
Aug 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I reckon he'll end up playing 22 games! He offers what we need and can play anywhere on the ground really. Creeps forward and kicks goals, gonna roll the dice with him for sure!

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oh dear ! Thought you had started to mellow.
Silly thing to say MD , he will be needed , and by the way deserves a spot.

He wasn't close to good enough last year so now all of a sudden he is?

Slow and poor disposal under pressure.

He is clearly pretty good at VFL AND NAB games but simply ain't up to AFL level so I would think getting a game into kids is more important than padding his numbers.

In fact I'd even play Hrovat before him that's how pointless I see him playing is.

Unless Moyd gets injured he doesnt even get close to my 22

He is clearly pretty good at VFL AND NAB games but simply ain't up to AFL level so I would think getting a game into kids is more important than padding his numbers.

I think we have to do as much as possible to look after the kids and not burn them out. Im not going to argue about the abilities of Goodes because for most of his skill level in general I agree with your sentiments. If we have kids getting tired and susceptible to injury we may have to cop it this year as a result. Once the kids come in to their own I dont think we'll see much of him after this year

One of those scary, rare times when I mostly agree with Mattdougie :p
Goodes hasn't been good when he's gone up to AFL level in the past. He showed flashes now and then, but was frustrating for the most part.

I think he'll play games, probably early, but I wouldn't be relying on him much.

One of those scary, rare times when I mostly agree with Mattdougie :p
Goodes hasn't been good when he's gone up to AFL level in the past. He showed flashes now and then, but was frustrating for the most part.

I think he'll play games, probably early, but I wouldn't be relying on him much.

Difference being though was that we have never seen him play in his best position at AFL level. He has always played his best footy as a bigger body in the midfield/wing which is exactly where he has been played this pre-season and surprise surprise he has looked decent.

I don't know how many games we give him this year but there is most definitely a role he can play through the body and is a very talented player. I think he can protect a few of the young guys through out parts of the season.

Big Wilbur

Club Legend
May 17, 2011
Wantirna
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He wasn't close to good enough last year so now all of a sudden he is?

Slow and poor disposal under pressure.

In fact I'd even play Hrovat before him that's how pointless I see him playing is.

Unless Moyd gets injured he doesnt even get close to my 22
Agree. Wouldn't want to see Goodes robbing Jong of senior games.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Difference being though was that we have never seen him play in his best position at AFL level. He has always played his best footy as a bigger body in the midfield/wing which is exactly where he has been played this pre-season and surprise surprise he has looked decent.

I don't know how many games we give him this year but there is most definitely a role he can play through the body and is a very talented player. I think he can protect a few of the young guys through out parts of the season.

Looks decent last pre season also and played a few games and found out quickly he isn't good enough

Put him in the midfield in a "real" game and he will be an abject failure

Doesn't have the tools and is too late to learn them.

We have Moyd Wallis Stevens to protect the kids thru the centre

Goodes should be playing where he is best suited, whitten oval for Footscray

Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
West Ham
Looks decent last pre season also and played a few games and found out quickly he isn't good enough

Put him in the midfield in a "real" game and he will be an abject failure

Doesn't have the tools and is too late to learn them.

We have Moyd Wallis Stevens to protect the kids thru the centre

Goodes should be playing where he is best suited, whitten oval for Footscray
You have neglected to mention his early 2013 form. I think he deserves an opportunity to prove himself on the back of his preseason

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree. Wouldn't want to see Goodes robbing Jong of senior games.

True

Hopefully see both play a couple games so it's obvious they arnt good enough and thy make room for players that can make it long term

Last edited:
I love it when people barrack for players to fail. No "I hope they come good" it's "I hope they play and suck so I can say I'm right".

There's a fine line between realism and being a pain in the arse.

Who are these players who can make it long term who we can play this year MD?

Big Wilbur

Club Legend
May 17, 2011
Wantirna
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love it when people barrack for players to fail. No "I hope they come good" it's "I hope they play and suck so I can say I'm right".

It's amazing isn't it? Instead of looking for some positives in a player and hoping these can be further developed, it seems more important to desparately hang onto the hope that they don't make it even if it is to the detriment of the club you purport to love. That's what it seems like anyway.

Where some see potential, others see limitations. When some are encouraged by a player's rapid improvement, some prefer to see it as coming off a low base. Instead of being excited that someone from a non footy background could possibly become a success story, some would prefer they fail in the belief it makes them look like a good judge.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I'm not barracking for them to fail, more than happy to see them make it but in my opinion they won't so this year we see that and move them on

Sorry I didn't realise supporting a footy team means dreaming blokes are suddenly gonna become superstars at the age of 30.

Jong and Goodes are not long term footballers for our club so find out this year and if they arnt move them on and replace them with guys who might be, and if thy arnt replace them and so on. We have carried sh!y players on our list for far too long now let's be bruyal and stop p!dsing around with blokes that simply won't ever make it.

Don't keep anyone of the list longer than they can be useful simply coz it makes some of you happy and the feel good story makes you all smile a little. I don't care where Jong started or what base or how far he has come, he ain't good enough and never will be so get him out. This is AFL footy not a feel good movie, I'm sick to death of excuses.

But hey let's just think everyone that pulls on our jumper Is going to be the next Johno and slap each other's backs and not live in reality coz who wants honesty ?

There's a fine live between realism and living with your head up your a$$ also.

Last edited:
I'm not barracking for them to fail, more than happy to see them make it but in my opinion they won't so this year we see that and move them on

Sorry I didn't realise supporting a footy team means dreaming blokes are suddenly gonna become superstars at the age of 30.

Jong and Goodes are not long term footballers for our club so find out this year and if they arnt move them on and replace them with guys who might be, and if thy arnt replace them and so on.

Don't keep anyone of the list longer than they can be useful simply coz it makes some of you happy.

But hey let's just think everyone that pulls on our jumper Is going to be the next Johno and slap each other's backs and not live in reality

Over the top MD. No one said the next Johnno or superstar. He only needs to play his role as does everyone else in the team.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Over the top MD. No one said the next Johnno or superstar. He only needs to play his role as does everyone else in the team.

Hyperbole Maddog

It seems that if you don't stroke very player on the list your a pariah

I've said only 4 blokes on our entire list are shite

Funny no one comments on the other 40 odd I'm happy with isn't it?

Goodes is 30 years old, poor in traffic, poor decision and disposal under pressure, not part of future teams so he shouldn't have a role UNLESS injuries dictate.

He is one bloke and wot change the team a lot so play a kid and let's find out what they have instead of a blow we already know has.

Makes no sense at al to play him unless the coaching staff think we can make the 8 and if they think that then ... Well I'm not saying anymore

Hyperbole Maddog

It seems that if you don't stroke very player on the list your a pariah

I've said only 4 blokes on our entire list are shite

Funny no one comments on the other 40 odd I'm happy with isn't it?

Goodes is 30 years old, poor in traffic, poor decision and disposal under pressure, not part of future teams so he shouldn't have a role UNLESS injuries dictate.

He is one bloke and wot change the team a lot so play a kid and let's find out what they have instead of a blow we already know has.

Makes no sense at al to play him unless the coaching staff think we can make the 8 and if they think that then ... Well I'm not saying anymore

I get where you are coming from but The Professor has swayed me lately towards always playing your best side and make the kids fight for games. If Goodes is playing better then play him. If not then don't. Forget about ages.

His brother seems to have longevity and I reckon our Goodes would not be thinking he has one year in him but 3-5 years. I firmly believe he has only now become close to fit enough for AFL.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I get where you are coming from but The Professor has swayed me lately towards always playing your best side and make the kids fight for games. If Goodes is playing better then play him. If not then don't. Forget about ages.

His brother seems to have longevity and I reckon our Goodes would not be thinking he has one year in him but 3-5 years. I firmly believe he has only now become close to fit enough for AFL.

I guess I should say I don't think he will play majorly better than any of the kids he will be taking the spot off

But if by some miracle he does "turn it on" then of course play him

Just personally think its a bit ridiculous to think he will at this stage

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like Goodes. Actually plays a lot like luke hodge the way he goes about it. Long Left foot, has a few tricks, and doesn't take a backwards step. Happy to have him in the side.

Back