A role at the club for Brett Goodes? In 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

No I firmly believe he was a publicity stunt to begin with

He has more than proved he is more than that as I be said many times but people seem to ignore I've given the guy massive credit time and time again just don't think he is capable of the next step

This post does you no credit MD. Disrespectful to Jong too.

Goodes does NOT deserve a position on footscrays list. He deserves a place on the Western Bulldogs list though :)

Sorry it how I and many many felt when he was first put on list

Got to declare my bona fides and agree with this. Not in a malicious way, but at the time I thought drafting Jong was to some degree about appealing to the Asian community in Footscray.

I am the first to congratulate Jong and the club for the vast and rapid improvement he has shown. Save for the Bont, I don't get as excited more by any other player than when Jongy gets the pill these days.

I'm not barracking for them to fail, more than happy to see them make it but in my opinion they won't so this year we see that and move them on

Sorry I didn't realise supporting a footy team means dreaming blokes are suddenly gonna become superstars at the age of 30.

Jong and Goodes are not long term footballers for our club so find out this year and if they arnt move them on and replace them with guys who might be, and if thy arnt replace them and so on. We have carried sh!y players on our list for far too long now let's be bruyal and stop p!dsing around with blokes that simply won't ever make it.

Don't keep anyone of the list longer than they can be useful simply coz it makes some of you happy and the feel good story makes you all smile a little. I don't care where Jong started or what base or how far he has come, he ain't good enough and never will be so get him out. This is AFL footy not a feel good movie, I'm sick to death of excuses.

But hey let's just think everyone that pulls on our jumper Is going to be the next Johno and slap each other's backs and not live in reality coz who wants honesty ?

There's a fine live between realism and living with your head up your a$$ also.

You never answered my question MD. Simply mate, as one straight talking Dogs supporter to another, who is goodes taking games off this year?

Keeping in mind we have one of, if not the, youngest lists in the AFL who need some rest throughout the year.

I am not arguing Goodes is best 22 and worth a five year contract, I'm arguing that he can be used to rotate in when the kids need a break and worth keeping for a year at a time.

You never answered my question MD. Simply mate, as one straight talking Dogs supporter to another, who is goodes taking games off this year?

Keeping in mind we have one of, if not the, youngest lists in the AFL who need some rest throughout the year.

I am not arguing Goodes is best 22 and worth a five year contract, I'm arguing that he can be used to rotate in when the kids need a break and worth keeping for a year at a time.
BUT WHAT IF GOODES IS TAKING GAMES OFF HROVAT...

gyEJdBG.gif

No I firmly believe he was a publicity stunt to begin with

He has more than proved he is more than that as I be said many times but people seem to ignore I've given the guy massive credit time and time again just don't think he is capable of the next step
Even if you have your negative opinion of Jong there is no doubt in his athleticism. He was tested to be the fastest player at the club, has a massive vertical leap (granted, not as important for a mid compared to other positions) and had the height and size for a mod, being about 190cm.

Even if you ignore the leaps and bounds that he has come as a "natural" footballer, with his raw skills and ability to read the game improving, as well as the fact that he he's coming back from a broken leg in his second year that people are forgetting, just his raw atheticism alone is enough to be considered more than a publicity stunt.

Seeing that the deadline for roo0kie upgrades has passed, I take it Goodes won't be upgraded, or can the club still promote him given Libba's LTI status?
If so, does anyone have any idea whether he is likely or unlikely to be at this stage?

I don't mind if he is used as a stop gap I just don't think he should be any more than that.

Remember he is a rookie for a reason, he has been unable to take a spot on a pretty average list with not a lot of experience as you say.

So if he is playing he will take games off Darley Biggs Cordy Hamilton Daniel McLean Kelly Jong Hrovat Pearce Prudden Hunter Webb Honey Talia Fletcher and Hamling

Please don't tell me these guys can't be rotated thru and get more exposure than needing a rookied 30 year old to fill a hole

Seeing that the deadline for roo0kie upgrades has passed, I take it Goodes won't be upgraded, or can the club still promote him given Libba's LTI status?
If so, does anyone have any idea whether he is likely or unlikely to be at this stage?
Long term injury replacements can be named at any time. It was for clubs that still had room on their list that the deadline was yesterday. In my opinion Goodes will definitely be upgraded.

So you'd be happy for Jong and Hrovat to play before Goodes ... you must have a small amount of hope that they could become good players then.

Of course I would

Regardless what I think they are both young and obviously have more chance of improving and being long term players than Goodes.

I doubt it very much but it's logical they get more chances than Goodes at this stage in our list development although they would both be at the bottom of the young player list imo

I don't mind him being a stop gap, that's the point MD.

Look at Melbourne - they went all out with youth and that really cost them. It's only recent years with stop gaps like cross that they've looked like improving

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... was tested to be the fastest player at the club, has a massive vertical leap ... and had the height and size for a mod, being about 190cm.
Mods, take note. I hope you are all about 190cm, otherwise we'll be calling for a spill.

I can't really be bothered with a detailed response to the comments coming from MD. Clearly he bases his opinion on the mistakes a player makes instead of viewing them through the prism of the progress they can make. Jong makes mistakes and, most likely, will continue to do so. That is not a basis on which to judge any player. Rather you need to look at what else a player brings to the table and are they playing their role for the team. Jong's fast handballs, his running to initiate or keep a chain going, his courageous tackling and his goal scoring all suggest he is doing what is required of him.

My main query with him, and with a number of our younger players, is fitness to go the whole game and over a long season week in and week out. A tired young player will make more mistakes, lose confidence, not contribute by running enough. Bevo's game plan looks like it will be even more taxing if some team members start dropping off through fatigue. Jong seems to drift in and out of games. It's hard to tell on the TV if this is a fitness issue or whether he is playing a different role. But he does seem to be a lot more active earlier in the game.

IF Brett Goodes plays it is rotating through the midfield and forward he is up to AFL standard for a list that is very young through the middle. He is not nor never will be a hbf at AFL level and playing him there is detrimental to our list development, but if the younger players need a rest or a few injuries, Goodes is a reasonable back up and have no issue at all with him being on the list as a midfielder rotating forward, otherwise I agree with MD.

Jong, disagree with MD. His run, contest and skill are already AFL level as a definite role player. Experience will improve his decision making and will be a 100 game player, happy to have a bet on this one MD unless there are injuries

Hrovat, agree with MD in that he is overrated by many on this board. However, in saying that I am merely very sceptical about how far he will develop and his long term role. I will not be overly surprised though if he does become a 200 game player, would just like to see a block of 10 consistent games before any strong thoughts on the player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back