A sensible discussion about Tom Scully's football

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a Carlton No1 pick. A good player, safe pick who will have a good career without ever being elite.

Has a good work ethic and will probably win a few club B&F's because he will do the things the club values.

Unfortunately for him, he's unlikely to ever live up to the media expectations on his pay packet.

I think he will be a better player at GWS than he was ever going to be at Melbourne. Personally I think Melbourne should've gone with Cunnington or Martin if they wanted a grunt, inside mid and we all talked about how much they could've used Butcher.

Scully though, is an accumulator. A Sam Mitchell/Rob Harvey type that won't smash a game in 5 minutes but rather kill you over the course of 100. He will get 25-30 a game, make a couple of mistake but overall he will be above average without being spectacular. One of those players who will have very impressive stats at the end of his career but it'll be hard to remember him really busting games open.

If I was to compare the GWS core to recent greats Brisbane/Geelong it would be something like this -

Scully = Lappin/Corey
Coniglio = Aker/Ablett
Sheil = Voss/Bartel
Tyson = Black/Selwood
Hoskin-Elliot = Power/Chapman
Bugg = C.Johnson/Enright

Very similar, not quick but look like they have all the time in the world, bit of Pendlebury in that way.

North recruiters rated the players Martin, Trengove and Scully in that order. I think they got it right. Pity we didn't have any of those picks.
  1. Trengove
  2. Scully
  3. Martin

This was posted on your board after that draft.

675dd212.jpg

Some BF draft tragics and Carlton supporters LOL'd at North leaving their rankings up at their open day.
Sure, there's plenty of time yet for him to prove himself.

But in terms of stuff like kicking, overhead marking, goal sense, he doesn't seem to have a stand out quality.

I just don't know if a hard running mid without an elite trait is a worthy 1 pick.

Also, is it just me or does he seem to have a body shape that indicates he'll be quite light (comparatively) for an inside mid? I know Melbourne fans got frustrated about him being pushed off the ball and that did happen a few times I saw last night.

Obviously he still has to grow into his body to an extent but when you look at contemporaries like Selwood and Ziebell and Koby Stevens and Josh Caddy, he does look a bit under sized.
Why does size matter?

Bastinac isn't big.

Consider how small Rioli, Thomas and Simpson are, yet they win their own ball. It took Thomas six seasons to have a breakout season and make an AA side. Thomas has filled out again. After seven pre-seasons, Murphy is now a tank and more of an in and under player.

This reminds me of the Wells is better than Goddard calls.
That's a very good assessment in my book.

I agree re: safe choice. And normally you'd say that if you could guarantee a player drafted would play 200+ games and win an All Australian you'd jump at the chance.

But the science of drafting has improved to the point where, while there will always be stuff ups you'd think the 1 pick would be pretty much definite to get you a gun.

Also interesting that even though they had the 2 pick they still went for safety on both.

I suppose I'm probably being harsh there though: you don't go around making speculative picks with top 1/2 ... even top ten ... even first round ... picks do you?
Speculative pick?

Leave the trolls for the Bay.

If Scully was a North player, you'd have him pegged as the next big thing after one season.

I think the fact he hailed from Melbourne was a huge plus as well.

With Martin, Even at a young age there was queries on Attitude, background so they probably decided with Trengrove. With such a young group i think the leadership abilities of Trengrove/Scully seemed a priority over Martin

I am not sure where this attitude rumour/myth came from, by all accounts he was fantastic at the interviews and it is why he went up in our list. I haven't met him but I hear he has always been a great kid with the right attitude with his football, has the right traits you want in a young footballer.

He's an accumulator. Kicking is average at best. Haven't seen a right foot either. Not slow but not blistering either. He's not strong and while he will improve in this area it won't ever be one of his better attributes. His natural frame looks like it won't pack on a heap of muscle. See the problem? Not many weapons. Won't be a massive game breaker IMO but will be a very good, consistent footballer for a long time. He will run around and get his 30 touches a week but I'm already convinced Martin and Fyfe will be better footballers long-term than him. Trengove possible too.

1. Trengove
  2. Scully
  3. Martin

675dd212.jpg

Some BF draft tragics and Carlton supporters LOL'd at North leaving their rankings up at their open day.

Are you sure that those are rankings and not a predicted draft order?

1. Trengove
  2. Scully
  3. Martin

Ahh, I stand corrected, thought it was the way I had mentioned it.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with Scully, he just has had more setbacks to deal with.

Why does size matter?

Bastinac isn't big.

Yeah, Basti isn't big. He might have a few cms on Scully but Scully is actually weighs a fair bit more than him.

Consider how small Rioli, Thomas and Simpson are, yet they win their own ball. It took Thomas six seasons to have a breakout season and make an AA side. Thomas has filled out again. After seven pre-seasons, Murphy is now a tank and more of an in and under player.

Scully is 181cm, while it isn't big like Pendlebury it is not small either. It is usually the sub 180s that are also a tad light that tend to get crushed. Like Judd and to a lesser extent Harvey, he will rely more on his agility and and footy smarts more than brute force.

This reminds me of the Wells is better than Goddard calls.

Different kettle of fish, Wells got out to a very good standard before Goddard who struggle with bulking up, and we went from a competitive team to an uncompetitive team as Saints went from an uncompetitive team to a flag favourite. Even last year without the support at a good enough standard he looked a lesser player.

If we do go forwards in the next few years and the Saints slip I am sure the pendulum will swing again, unless Goddard jumps ship.

If Scully was a North player, you'd have him pegged as the next big thing after one season.

Absolutely, I would have been pretty happy to end up with him, he has a very good application of his football as a junior and unless his knee gives him grief will become a very good player.

1. Trengove
  2. Scully
  3. Martin

675dd212.jpg

Speculative pick?

Leave the trolls for the Bay.

Settle down. I have very deliberately not mentioned North or anything to with who we picked in that draft.

I've also said repeatedly that I think he'll be a very good player.

And you also seem to have missed the point in your hurry to accuse me of being partisan when I'm not.

I didn't say he was a speculative pick. In fact I said the exact opposite.

(As for the pic, that looks like a predicted order rather than our ratings. You could argue the two are similar. But they are not one and the same thing.)

I am not sure where this attitude rumour/myth came from, by all accounts he was fantastic at the interviews and it is why he went up in our list. I haven't met him but I hear he has always been a great kid with the right attitude with his football, has the right traits you want in a young footballer.
I have no doubt's about his attitude on-off field, however a bit rough around the edges in some sorts, stupid stuff like having tattoo's ect at 17 would have stuck in mind what he could turn into, No matter if he had never being in any trouble or had a good attitude towards football.

I am on the record as saying he is overrated, and he will go down as the biggest white elephant in the history of the game.

The Dees should be rapt he's taken a walk.

They get two nice first round picks, plenty of cap space, and they now won't get bagged for wasting a number one pick on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't really matter now that he's a Giant, but you'd hate to think Melbourne got two #1 picks wrong in a row wouldn't you? ;)

From what I've seen of the top 3 so far I'd take Martin with Trengove a close second, then Scully. I reckon all have a bright future and at this stage Martin looks the most physically ready with Scully 3rd on that list also. None look like facepalm selections at this stage anyway.

Who is to say Melbourne and Richmond didn't both get it wrong allowing Morabito slip to #4?

Fascinating graphic above. Crighton at 19! Not even sure he (Crighton) is going to make it.
As for Scully, his best is brilliant. Much too early to rate him yet (although I would have Martin and Trengove comfortably ahead at this stage and Morabito "should" be more damaging if he comes back ok from the reco.
I was gobsmacked when he ran Hill off his feet in his first year (Hill's 2nd) as I hadn't seen anyone do that over 4 quarters.

I think Scully's elite skills at junior level were his quick hands in the contest and his ability to extract the ball to the best option from a stoppage. At the senior level he hasn't had the size to get to the ball often enough to really shine. He and Cunnington were both super professional youngsters and may have got higher up the draft on the back of their work ethic.

I remember reading around the draft time that scully had been building through the juniors ages for a few years and was already on the radar of most clubs. Martin on the other hand had only came down from NSW the year before the draft and a lot of people thought he was a bit of a manchild. I also heard that Melbourne didn't even interview Martin as they were so sure of their first two picks.

Back to Scully, I think he might be a Sam Mitchell type once he gets enough size to hold his own.

North recruiters rated the players Martin, Trengove and Scully in that order. I think they got it right. Pity we didn't have any of those picks.

Sydney offered Richmond picks 6 and 14 for Pick 3 Martin, but they were wise to knock it back. Well played Richmond.

When you add it up with the Watts and Blease selection. Melbourne's recent recruiting is starting to look a bit poor.

675dd212.jpg

What's most startling about this photo, is Pick 25 - Sam Reid, which was North's pick! Therefore they rated Reid and had pencilled him down as their selection, but went with Aaron Black. He ended up falling to Pick 38.

Ouch!!

Either this proves this wasn't North's board or it was a tragic discussion on the moment of the pick. Very curious.

Martin is easily the best of the three (Trengove lacks severe acceleration).

The fact that Melbourne didn't even interview Martin before the draft is a disgrace.

The fact that Melbourne didn't even interview Martin before the draft is a disgrace.

I agree with your points, but am quite bemused as the term severe acceleration :p

I do think Scully will be a very good player, and it was hard to see him go. I do prefer Trengove over him though, and it stings knowing we could have taken Martin who - so far - has shown the most.

..Trengove can play anywhere for you guys though, in and out, contested or uncontested.. .... ..i also think he'll be ultra-consistent, both in his ability to get on to the park, and the performances he gives when out there..

..as for the O.P, Scully does have elite endurance,, but it's not as much an advantage in the AFL as it was for him in the juniors.. ..i think he'll need to sharpen up his disposal [professional/dedicated enough to work on it] to really get himself into his potential elite category.. ..however, IF it is true that his knee will require his career to be micro-managed then will he get enough consistency into his appearances on-field to elevate himself down the track..?..

It has been impossible to have a discussion about Scully for about a year without it turning into a Will he?/Won't he?/He did, he sucks/He did, can't blame him affair.

Isn't that mostly your fault?

End thread/

SweetLeftFoot alias Dawofperception has been leading the slagging off of Scully for 2 years now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back