A sensible discussion about Tom Scully's football

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with your points, but am quite bemused as the term severe acceleration :p

Probably a little over the top on my behalf, and I do rate Trengove, I just think he needs to improve his first few steps when he has the ball and be a little more urgent with his play.

Scully is a genuine inside/outside mid that are worth their weight in gold. He can extract the ball, has very quick hands, good speed and can run all day. If his body (knee mainly) allows he'll be a star of the competition once he fills out.

If I was to compare what I think he'll be like with a current player I'd think a shorter version of Judd. Not saying he'll be as good, being 8cm shorter will definitely affect his ability to build a big enough body to do as much grunt work, but he'll work hard and provide a lot of skill at the stoppage then run hard to help with link up play, even burning his opponent occasionally and breaking the game open.

I expect this year to be a crap year for him too. The knee, the contraversy of last year and how crap GWS will be this year will all conspire to make it a difficult year for him. If he gets through it though he'll be a star.

675dd212.jpg

What's most startling about this photo, is Pick 25 - Sam Reid, which was North's pick! Therefore they rated Reid and had pencilled him down as their selection, but went with Aaron Black. He ended up falling to Pick 38.

Ouch!!

Either this proves this wasn't North's board or it was a tragic discussion on the moment of the pick. Very curious.

No, along with most we rated Aaron Black higher than 25, which is where we got him. I believe we had him certain inside the top 20, probably top 15.

Martin is easily the best of the three (Trengove lacks severe acceleration).

The fact that Melbourne didn't even interview Martin before the draft is a disgrace.

Interesting to think that the swans always saw Martin as the true number 1 draft picks which is why they offered to the tigers there 2 first round pick plus a player for there pick 3 (Martin).

That said Scully is a talent and will most likely develop into one of the better mids in the comp.

Will be competing with Cotchin for Brownlows in the next 2 to 3 years.

Very easy for other recruiters to come out with rubbish about who they would've risked pick 1 on.

Expected more from him the other night. It's only nab cup but you would think
He would want to come out and prove his worth. His best spot is right in the guts but he seems relegated to the wings. His kicking has never been a highlight. Neither has Chris Judds though and that doesn't really bring down his value. We will see the best of scully when he has the body to compete at the stoppages. I expect him to be a top 10 player in the league. Let's hope I'm wrong! :)

No, along with most we rated Aaron Black higher than 25, which is where we got him. I believe we had him certain inside the top 20, probably top 15.

Yet -

a) he's not listed on the board at all.
b) they took Bastinac ahead of him at 21 understandably since they rated him at 18. If they had Black ahead of Bastinac, they would have taken him 21 and Bastinac at 25.

Either, your story doesn't stack up or it's not North's board.

I didn't watch the games due to the lack of Foxtel. Here are my thoughts from watching him at Melbourne:

1) At his best, he has Ben Cousins written all over him due to his fitness, ball-winning ability and determination.
2) His kicking needs improvement. It's much too high and loopy. It's great that he can kick with reasonable competence on both sides of his feet but I'd rather him have a stronger left boot.
3) He has the skills (great hands and vision) that should make him an inside midfielder (I wish Bailey played him inside more often) but his body has not matured yet. I'm not sure why he's still so skinny when other guys in his class like Trengove and Martin are becoming fairly big already.
4) He will quite possibly be the #1 tagged midfielder at GWS. Ward is a better player at the moment but teams often tag not the best player but they player they think they can nullify the best. Scully is pretty good at coping with a tag IMO but even at Melbourne had had more strong bodies around him to help out. He won't get much of that at GWS.
5) There will be a LOT of pressure on him to perform. Everyone knows that Hunt and Folau are on ridiculous salaries given their football abilities but everyone also knows that they are there as a marketing gimmick first, football player second. Ablett is on a huge amount of coin because he is arguably the best player in the league. Scully isn't in the same ballpark as Ablett as a player, or the same ballpark as Hunt and Folau as a marketing tactic. I have no doubt that he'll become a superb player down the track but when you are on that kind of coin already, the team and public will be expecting big things sooner than other players his age.

Yet -

b) they took Bastinac ahead of him at 21 understandably since they rated him at 18. If they had Black ahead of Bastinac, they would have taken him 21 and Bastinac at 25.

It is certainly North's board. I recall it being discussed on our board when it came to light.

It goes like this: we wanted Black at our second pick, 21. But when Bastinac slid we saw the opportunity as too good to pass up and gambled that Black would still be there at 25. If he wasn't, we would have taken Reid.

We also knew that West Coast had the next two picks and were sure to take Basti. So we gambled and got Black as well. If we didn't have pick 25 from trading Josh Gibson, we would have just taken Black.

Same as the year after. We always wanted Kieran Harper and were going to pick him at 17 but then Atley slid and we felt he was too good to pass up. Luckily we then got Harper anyway with pick 27 we'd traded.

Anyway, this is off topic re: Scully.

Interesting to think that the swans always saw Martin as the true number 1 draft picks which is why they offered to the tigers there 2 first round pick plus a player for there pick 3 (Martin).

I think you mean Port Adelaide offered its pick 8 & 9 for pick 2. They wanted Trengove.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair dinkum...some of you blokes genuinely have no idea when you see a gun due to your bias. The kid (and he is still a kid) had 41 touches in a game of footy in his first year. Someone said that at best, he will be a Rob Harvey. Do you even know how good a footballer Rob Harvey was??

Scully is a genuine gun. Last year was write off due to injury. He doesn't have the fitness base to miss a large chunk of training and still be able to run games out. Hence I completely dismiss 2011 and look at 2010 as a sign of what to expect. And as long as his body holds up, he will be one of the premier midfielders in the competition in a couple of years time. I do think he will struggle a little bit with being the #1 man the opposition will focus on this year but as soon as his teammates mature and develop, look out.

As for draft order, couldn't care. It's not his fault he was taken at 1. Whether he is a 1 versus a 2 or 3...time will tell. However I do know that more than half the teams in the comp had him as a 1 going into the draft.

You Melbourne supporters bagging him as a s**t footballer are a disgrace. I can understand you blokes bagging him as a mercenary (same as Barassi and many others who have taken the cash). But please stop bagging him as a footballer. If he still played for the Dees you would be defending him as a worthy #1 pick (which I believe he is).

He should be a gun. He prepares himself aswell as any other player in the league, this alone will see him maximise his potential.

He has good speed and great endurance. He may not be a great kick, but neither is Judd and he is a champion. You don't get 19 touches in a last quarter of football in a wet, close contest against a top 4 team without having quality. Especially when it is your 10th game of AFL.

Think Ben Cousins, he has the same tools as him coupled with the same gut running ability. The only thing that will stop him is his knee. If it is stuffed like Cooney then he will be a good football player, if it comes good he will be a gun.

Yet -

north's top pick isnt' on the board either, looks like they took their own picks down

675dd212.jpg

What's most startling about this photo, is Pick 25 - Sam Reid, which was North's pick! Therefore they rated Reid and had pencilled him down as their selection, but went with Aaron Black. He ended up falling to Pick 38.

Ouch!!

Either this proves this wasn't North's board or it was a tragic discussion on the moment of the pick. Very curious.
What?

All it proves is they were discussing some hypotheticals of how it would go, and mapping them out.
This was probably one of 23046904 different combinations they went through, to see how likely it was that they'd have talls/smalls/whatever available at pick X, Y or Z.

Bar Shaw (did he get drafted?), and missing Long (looks like we over-paid a bit) it seems pretty close to what went down, as well.

Talk about long bow!!!

Guy is gonna be a gun. Most likely elite but give him time. He hasn't even played 30 games. Needs to work on pushing forward I.e Marc Murphy and Dusty Martin to round his game out more.
At the moment Martin on top of Trengove and Scully but I think it will be interesting to look in a few years and see where they all stand. Either could be the best.

He'll be a good footballer. He does need to develop his body to be stronger around packs, but once he does he has that break away speed that can be deadly. It does depend a lot on how his body is managed over his career if his knee needs to be managed.

At this stage on what they've produced thus far it's Martin>Trengove>Scully. Not sure if that will change for the remainder of their careers either.

Fair dinkum...some of you blokes genuinely have no idea when you see a gun due to your bias. The kid (and he is still a kid) had 41 touches in a game of footy in his first year. Someone said that at best, he will be a Rob Harvey. Do you even know how good a footballer Rob Harvey was??

You Melbourne supporters bagging him as a s**t footballer are a disgrace. I can understand you blokes bagging him as a mercenary (same as Barassi and many others who have taken the cash). But please stop bagging him as a footballer. If he still played for the Dees you would be defending him as a worthy #1 pick (which I believe he is).

Are you directing that at any Melbourne supporter in this thread? Or if we say Dusty or Trenners will be overall better do you think we really just mean Tom to is a 's**t footballer'?

Given the subject matter I'm surprised your post isn't applicable but it seems we are being sensible and showing Tom respect.

yet Bastinac, Macmillan, Kennedy and Norris are still there.
There's no way any club didn't rate Cunnington top 30 before that draft.

Sure, he's had his injury issues since drafting, but that whiteboard isn't telling the full story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back