A successful Australian in the WWE?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think we will see in the next 5 to 10 years a big time Australian wrestler in the WWE? I see guys like Sheamus, Cesaro, Del Rio, Mysterio, Barrett, etc currently in the WWE and just think to myself how awesome it would be to follow a fellow Aussie and see him at the top of WWE like Bret Hart was for Canada back in the 90's. And let's face it, us Aussies are one of the best in the world for s**t talking.

I would love to see it and I think it would make wrestling alot more popular down here to the point where we may even get a RAW or Smackdown down here like they do in the UK.

Thoughts?

Can not see it ever happening but i am sure if someone came around with some serious talent Vince would give him a shot he loves making money and i am sure an Aussie who was atleast mid card would bring in dollars

I think it can happen.

The tag team you're talking about is TMDK Shane Haste and Mikey Nicholls from EPW in Perth. As mentioned, they've had a good match in ROH against the Briscoes, as well as spending a lot of time in Pro Wrestling NOAH. They're equally good as singles wrestlers and both have big personalities, as they mature further I think they could get a chance.

Has anyone seen Matt Silva? From MCW in Melbourne if I remember correctly, bloke is huge, ripped and can work. He's a WWE type.

Damian Slater from Adelaide is a tremendous worker, but I don't know how well his style would translate to the WWE. He'd be a perfect fit for ROH IMO.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Dennis Commettis son signed a development deal. Not a great worker but he's huge.

Mexico, Canada and to a degree the UK appear to have independent scenes that aren't considered dross. It's also obviously easier for Mexican and Canadian wrestlers to work in America independents (how the visas are classified and what pay they get if any I don't know).

What does Australia have? I think that explains the lack of Australians in WWE history.

Unless you're working for a big company there isn't much money to be made in wrestling. And if you're working in Australia there's simply no money to be made. Thus we don't have many fully capable wrestlers to begin with and even less that WWE or TNA would feel like hiring (and if they did it would be due to the work they'd seen outside Australia).

Also when WWE or TNA hire someone who isn't American or already living in America they have the hassle of needing the US authorities to approve the working residency visa. Australians with no profile wouldn't be at the top of their priority lists.

For an Australian wrestler to get anywhere near WWE takes a lot of time, money (to travel to better rings around the world) and luck. Or they could be Nathan Jones and already live in America.

I see guys like Sheamus, Cesaro, Del Rio, Mysterio, Barrett

He's American.

I think it can happen.

The tag team you're talking about is TMDK Shane Haste and Mikey Nicholls from EPW in Perth. As mentioned, they've had a good match in ROH against the Briscoes, as well as spending a lot of time in Pro Wrestling NOAH. They're equally good as singles wrestlers and both have big personalities, as they mature further I think they could get a chance.

Has anyone seen Matt Silva? From MCW in Melbourne if I remember correctly, bloke is huge, ripped and can work. He's a WWE type.

Damian Slater from Adelaide is a tremendous worker, but I don't know how well his style would translate to the WWE. He'd be a perfect fit for ROH IMO.

Don't know if he ended up doing it or not, but he was trying to get over to Canada a few years back and train at Lance Storm's wrestling school.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He made it to WWE and also featured at Wrestlemania. I would consider that to be a success story.

Sorry I didnt see this lol.

It was not a success story at all... He was under contract with WWE for like 6-12 months!

Just because someone is fetured at WrestleMania, doesnt mean there classified as a success.

Outback Jack was briefly successful in the WWF ('86-'88)

outbackjackknife.jpg

I think it can happen.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Dennis Commettis son signed a development deal. Not a great worker but he's huge.

Commetti;s son is mark Silva.

Anyways, not a big enough market to plunk a little known Aussie and push him like Sheamus/Khali ect and a very small scene, More luck of an Expat Australian who left at 14 and moved to Canada/US becomming a WWE wrestler

Nathan Jones wasn't exactly a success, didn't he abandon his employment during an Australian Smackdown tour in 2002?
wasn't a success?
He was that good that it took Benoit or Angle to beat him.

I guess if he wasn't such a knob and had a better career, he wouldn't be considered better then he actually was.

I just feel he threw away a chance of being atleast a shitty mid carder. He was given a chance and he turned his back. I remember being 17 in 2002 in perth getting ready to see him wrestle in his home country first time i got to see WWE Live, i read online the day after i see smackdown he abandoned his employment, i was legit pissed.

Although it's not the first or last time he failed to show, he done the same thing for the Australian supershow3 in 2004.

i guess if 7 years for armed robbery doesn't make you a Knob, turning your back on a second chance does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back