A superior finals system to be played over 9 weeks with 11 teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanga man

Senior List
Feb 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let's face it. No one likes the current finals system, as it is inherantly complicated. We have this silly "crossover" method so that the Qualifying final teams can't meet in the Preliminary Finals, and not to mention the short 4 week timeframe. You play all year so it can be decided in 4 weeks?

The better system would be as follows:

The top 3 teams play each other over 2 weeks, playing each other twice. The team on the bottom of that mini ladder plays the winner of the 10th vs 11th three-match series in a knockout match in week four.

4th through to 9th (6 teams) play a mini-tournament of 5 matches against the 5 other opponents over 5 weeks.

10th play 11th in three matches in weeks 1,2,3. The first match and the third match are at 10th's home ground. If one team is winning 2-0 after two matches the third match still gets played. But with a catch. If the team can sweep their opponent 3-0 they get the CHOICE of who they play in the Prelim final if they progress that far.

The top two teams in the 1st-2nd-3rd three team play-off advance to week 6 (so they have a couple of weeks off) as teams 1 and 2

Week 4 is a bye for everyone.

The top-2 teams in the 4th-9th five-week play-off advance to week 6. These are teams 3 and 4

The 3rd team in that "4th-9th" group advance to week 6. They are team 5. The winner of the 10th v 11th triple header advances to week 6 as well as team 6.

So, now we get to week 6. Team 1 plays team 5 and 6 over two weeks, and they advance straight to the Grand Final IF they win both UNLESS they win by less than the combined margin that team 2 beats team 3 and 4 over their two matches. If team 2 beats teams 3 and 4 by more than what team 1 beats team 5 and 6, then team 2 advances straight to the Grand Final. But if team 1 is more than two games clear of team 2 at the end of round 22, then they get to advance straight to the Grand Final even if their two wins against 5th and 6th are less than the 2 wins by team 2 over teams 3 and 4.

The Prelim Final in week 8 is between one of the top 2 teams who won their two matches by the combined lesser margin and the 6th team (who was originally 10th or 11th), notwithstanding the "2 games clear on top rule" but only if they swept their original 3 match series. If they didn't, then the last Prelim spot goes to the best losing team (out of 3,4,5,6) who lost by the lower margin and/or has the best home and away record.

Team 6 (which is either 10th or 11th) has the wildcard option of being able to choose their Prelim finals opponent if they swept their original 3 match series 3-0 also, remember. So, they can override the above rule and play team 3 (if they choose to) if they believe they they are suitably advantaged by doing so. Or they could play team 4. It's their choice as it's their reward.

Then the Grand Final is in week 9

There are so many swings and roundbaouts and so many things happening week to week under this method, that makes it far superior. Sure it takes a bit of getting used to, but it would be a fantastic culmination to the season.

I have always been a big fan of having only one preliminary final.

The final 8 is ok but if they could somehow in the first weekend get to eliminate 3 sides and then after that play a normal top 5 system it would be better.

I started reading the OP and was thinking "this seems a little too complicated; anyway, I like the finals system as it is currently".

Then i got to THIS:

So, now we get to week 6. Team 1 plays team 5 and 6 over two weeks, and they advance straight to the Grand Final IF they win both UNLESS they win by less than the combined margin that team 2 beats team 3 and 4 over their two matches. If team 2 beats teams 3 and 4 by more than what team 1 beats team 5 and 6, then team 2 advances straight to the Grand Final. But if team 1 is more than two games clear of team 2 at the end of round 22, then they get to advance straight to the Grand Final even if their two wins against 5th and 6th are less than the 2 wins by team 2 over teams 3 and 4.

...and I thought "this guy is f***ing crazy"

Look-at-Me.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not complictated at all. It's just no one is used to it. I was speaking with my 9 year old son, Reuben, who has developed into a bit of a maths whiz, and he has been asking his old man to come up with something better. So I did.

The system has a number of benefits;

It goes for 9 weeks. Nine is 5 more than 4. That's more than double, so arguably more than twice as good.

It has 11 teams. 11 is three more than 8.

It gives 10th and 11th the incentive of sweeping the other team 3-0 and getting the choice of Prelim opponent. But only if they get that far

It gives everyone a week off in week 4 to refresh and renew. A breather!

It gives 4th-9th five guaranteed matches. How good is that!

It gives 1st an incentive to finish more than 2 games on top to get the benefits of guaranteed Grand Final entry. But only if they win BOTH their matches in week 6 and 7th versus teams 5 and 6. See the original post for a more detailed version of how this works.

It's better on so many levels. It's fairer. And most importantly the fans like it. It works.

Let's face it. No one likes the current finals system, as it is inherantly complicated. We have this silly "crossover" method so that the Qualifying final teams can't meet in the Preliminary Finals, and not to mention the short 4 week timeframe. You play all year so it can be decided in 4 weeks?...

Are you kidding? It's the most straight forward uncomplicated thing. This is why the NRL are copying it. If you want an example of complicated look at the AFL finals system pre 2000. The finals system we have is great.

Are you kidding? It's the most straight forward uncomplicated thing. This is why the NRL are copying it. If you want an example of complicated look at the AFL finals system pre 2000. The finals system we have is great.

You're only saying that because you're not used to mine. My system is much more straightforward.

Teams have guaranteed matches so you know if you finish 4th-9th you get 5 straight matches. It's linear. The current system is not linear like mine because if you win, you get a week off, if you lose you get a second chance; it's all over the bloody place. FFS :mad: It's un-linear, which makes it fraudulent in many ways.

And the incentive for finishing 2 games clear on top is simply a marvellous addition to what would be 9 weeks of non-stop footy action! :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back