A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

'Spose it depends on the amount the country / individual is prepared to spend.
Assuming the average household consists of three kids & two adults they would be looking at around $30,000.00 to be pretty in dependant of mains power. There could be times where backup power is needed to top batteries, in my case it's a quiet 5kve generator. Solar restricts the ability to have heating appliances (cooking, jugs / kettles, heaters in winter, hot water units also don't think about heavy power tools, welder etc). Then one has to consider solar hot water with some type of backup for those three to four times a year when it's needed, gas for cooking (it's near impossible to get a gas oven with a gas grill!!!).

I wouldn't have a clue as to the average power bill, but mains power is a necessity for society to function, though personally coal is not the ideal way to generate power, my favourite being small geothermal plants scattered through the 'burbs.

I'm at (almost) retirement age, I don't have any super, just the property I own at Maleny, so my plan is to sell this off & relocate to a smaller less expensive property & even if it's connected to mains supply we intend to set up a stand alone solar setup there. So, to me, the cost does come into it but the advantage of being pretty independent is a huge incentive.

In short it's not cheap, but IMO it's worth every cent. We're not going to get away from "the unclean" side of any technology, but if we can do some small things to help lower outputs of s**t into the atmosphere I know which way I lean. We just have to try & convince the manufacturing countries to come to the party as well. That's the hard part.
Cheers Crimso , interesting stuff.:thumbsu:
What I should have bolded, and what I was really questioning was;
"alternate clean energy", really isn't that clean
Even with all the 'unclean' nasties going into solar manufacturing, is it not still carbon negative?

Cheers CrimsoEven with all the 'unclean' nasties going into solar manufacturing, is it not still carbon negative?

I've looked into this before when researching a more balanced CSG article. At this stage, the energy used to create a solar panel and the toxic chemicals in the production don't seem to make it a genuine "clean" energy alternative. At the same time though, the potential is there if the industry sees a genuine boom in R&D.

It gets worse when you add batteries in for larger arrays.

Cheers Crimso , interesting stuff.:thumbsu:
What I should have bolded, and what I was really questioning was;

Even with all the 'unclean' nasties going into solar manufacturing, is it not still carbon negative?

Batteries are the weak link. The panels, inverters etc all last for quite a long time, batteries have a finite life cycle. If well looked after & never over discharged (no greater than about 50% of capacity) a battery bank can last probably 10 or so years. I get around 6 - 7 out of mine:oops:.

Battery technology is on the improve with lithium type becoming available (gotta have deeeeep pockets at the moment though) and they accept charge with very small amounts of energy wasted, I think about 1% inefficiency all up.
So at the moment after a period of time owning the panels & replacing the batteries it would probably run at break even, though with better technology you would think it would tip the scales towards the positive.
I suppose the main thing is we've reached / passed peak oil & there isn't too much coal being made now, so governments will probably look at nooklear for fuel supply, we've got a ton or two, it's cheap & the waste can be made into weapons, perfect!

I have been interested to read about our new found "culture of complaint". This new "culture of complaint" is just another version of the old "culture of complaint". That is not even an opinion, it is a fact. The entire nation has been complaining ever since I remember be it the footy team losing through to the price of fuel and the biggy has always been law and order. Crime was always a lessor issue for society when we were young. No one protested! So that Underbelly stuff was a thing of fantasy and those riots I caught in places like King George Square were only ever a figment of my imagination. Sigh! Pig City was such a waste of a good protest song considering that there was no "culture of complaint". But then who listened to the words of ditties such as Pig City? I mean did not one of our PM's claim to be a Zimmerman fan but said he never really listened to the words and enjoyed the tunes? Could imagine him humming along to Oxford Town and declaring what a great little tune it was but not being sure as to the meaning of the words!

This all brings me to the point. (Yes I know I know "get on with it") interestedly I am making a rare foray into the world of the Curious Snail and they have an item on this "culture of complaint". I am intrigued by the final statement in the item I am reading that says "Social commentator and demographer Bernard Salt said the average household now had plasma televisions, travelled overseas and often ate out at cafes and restaurants." Well there you go! Among other oft told tales from the past my mum tells the story of her mum crying when first getting a washing machine, when the NHS first came to war weary Britain after WW2 being able to go to the dentist and doctor without fear of where the money was coming from. I am intrigued about plasma televisions, travelling overseas and often eating out at café's and restaurants though because to paraphrase a certain billionairess (sic) the trouble with the proles is they spend far too much watching TV, travelling to places afar and sipping flat whites and eating Hungry Jacks when they should all be working hard to compete with those in Africa on $2 a day. As to going to the footy!

So do journos writing for such veritable publications as the Snail pick up their ports each morning with the sangas and the flask that their good wives have packed and go to work with clear joy and understanding in their hearts and minds that they are all aware that they have never had it so good and have little to complain about? Like * they do! Just about all of them go and look for some poor sap that they can harass and harangue and blame and misquote and accuse and lie about. But I digress.

No one could deny that the average working class person is far better off today than they ever have been. Lets be frank 12 year olds are not being forced up chimneys any-more but with that Harold MacMillan style propaganda by the Snail I ask, after 4 or 5 years of telling us that we never had it so bad when now we have never had it so good is it because of some new phenomenon called a "culture of complaint" or have they just reaped what they have sewn?

Over to you.

Last edited:
Clearly the former.
I can tell you that, in Qld anyway, 'the union movement' is clearly focused on the Labor party at the moment. They are rallying and lobbying for further democratisation of the party and to get rid of the duds that have allowed the party to lose it's way. They know this must be fixed before they can have any hope of the Governments listening.

I know a bunch of people who left the union when the old QPSU (Qld Public Sector Union - which was not formally affiliated with any party) got merged with I think it was the ASU to form the Together union ... which was overtly part of the Labor Party movement side of things - they wanted to be represented and supported but they did not wan to support the Labor Party ... mind you since then a whole lot of other have left just because they came across as useless and incompetent on top of politically marginalised.

Many of them are not fans of dear sweet Uncle Campbell but they do not feel that their union is helping in any way ... and some of them even feel that the union must have been paid off to have given him everything he wants in substance while maintaining a facade of opposition...

Interesting times.

Yeah the Together Union was utterly toothless during the public service massacres of 2012.

Extremely low membership didn't help the cause but there was no real chance of strike action anyway. Those whose jobs were seen to be safe were too frightened to rock the boat - which is understandable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can tell you that, in Qld anyway, 'the union movement' is clearly focused on the Labor party at the moment. They are rallying and lobbying for further democratisation of the party and to get rid of the duds that have allowed the party to lose it's way. They know this must be fixed before they can have any hope of the Governments listening.

Most of the 'duds' are (ex) union leaders though aren't they? Isn't part of the reform process to try and distance the Labor party from the union movement? I thought one of the perceived problems was that the Labor party was dominated by union factionalism and power-broking to the point that non-union members and supporters (and potential supporters) had trouble having a real say in policy, leadership or representation. On the union side some feel that the connection doesn't serve the unions or their members very well any more as they're tied to supporting a party that has economic policies not that much different to the conservative side.

The Together Union are the biggest bunch of duds there have ever been be it an employers or employees association. See the con job video on YouTube that Can Dooooooo fooled them with. What was that blokes name? Bruce Scott? If he is still their secretary then he is a very luck boy as he got conned big time.

The Together Union are the biggest bunch of duds there have ever been be it an employers or employees association. See the con job video on YouTube that Can Dooooooo fooled them with. What was that blokes name? Bruce Scott? If he is still their secretary then he is a very luck boy as he got conned big time.

Alex Scott. I've been to a few of his press conferences, he has a solid message generally but he comes across as whiney and unlikeable. It's the problem with the soundbite culture of the relationship between PR and the media that the soundbites have to tick all the boxes if you successfully want to get a message across.

Alex Scott. I've been to a few of his press conferences, he has a solid message generally but he comes across as whiney and unlikeable. It's the problem with the soundbite culture of the relationship between PR and the media that the soundbites have to tick all the boxes if you successfully want to get a message across.
No soundbites at the barricades comrade.

When exactly did SEQ transition from using the word "bevan" to "bogan"?
sadly about 10-15 years ago. I pine for the days of 'bevans' and their Celica RA40s.

I may or may not have owned said model of preferred bevan transportation. :)

You're surprised that he lied? I'm at the stage where I'd fall off my chair if this government told the truth.

I am sure that Sir Humphrey was most convincing when he presented the statistics to the minister and that the minister did not proceed to do confirming research on his own bat once he had them ... especially when they suiting his preferred narrative so well (amazingly enough)

#Libspill is a thing on twitter already :eek:

On another note, Scott Morrison really is a terrible human being. Christopher Pyne not far behind.

Just chucked at a deleted post in another thread that seemed to imply that Nazi references in the media were the exclusive domain of The Guardian.

a1d3f23e-ffa7-11e2-82b3-338937740ac4_tele2--400x570.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back