A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it was a bit of a "you're on notice. There are at least 30 of us pissed about this..."

If I were Turnbull, I'd take some comfort out it. To have only 30 members register a protest vote is a good sign for the potential for party unity.

I reckon you could put the party into 3 groups: (1) Pro-Abbott / Anti-Turnbull; (2) Pro-Turnbull / Anti-Abbott; (3) Neutral but seeking stability. If 54 were clearly Pro-Turnbull after the Leader vote, the Deputy vote suggests another 16 just wanted stability and, once the leadership contest was known, were prepared to put their support behind Turnbull's running mate.

If I were Turnbull, I'd take some comfort out it. To have only 30 members register a protest vote is a good sign for the potential for party unity.

I reckon you could put the party into 3 groups: (1) Pro-Abbott / Anti-Turnbull; (2) Pro-Turnbull / Anti-Abbott; (3) Neutral but seeking stability. If 54 were clearly Pro-Turnbull after the Leader vote, the Deputy vote suggests another 16 just wanted stability and, once the leadership contest was known, were prepared to put their support behind Turnbull's running mate.
I do agree, but unfortunately it only takes one to whiteant.

I just hope they rise above the internal bickering and both sides shelve the pugilistic politics and do some bloody governing.

I do see this as a fork in the road. Will both Turnbull and Shorten now steer away from the super negative mudslinging "the other guys are rubbish so vote for us" politics to something more constructive?

Naive eh? I'm not suggesting I have super high hopes both sides will opt for the high ground, but I do maintain that the first party who does will win the next election.

Last edited:

I am in hope Laming was an Abbott supporter because I'm terrified he will end up on the front bench - unless they give him a portfolio of death. Need a 10point swing in Bowman to get him out.

I am in hope Laming was an Abbott supporter because I'm terrified he will end up on the front bench - unless they give him a portfolio of death. Need a 10point swing in Bowman to get him out.
You read that he voted for Turnbull, yeah?

Bad luck, from the article linked directly above your post:

A Queensland MP who backed Malcolm Turnbull in his leadership bid has declared the new Liberal Party leader is a “very easy person to like”.

Federal member for Bowman Andrew Laming described the new leader as a very good communicator but had previously been held back by decisions he had made in the party room.

I'd written the post this morning and it had been sitting as a draft after I thought I posted it. Although I hadn't kept on top of this mornings updates. Will make my first campaign meeting interesting this arvo...

Laming is a joke even amongst his colleagues. Will never get a front bench portfolio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...save-some-queensland-mps-20150915-gjmue2.html

Some of the discussion in here about the possible rise of a socially conservative party (eg Family First) is interesting. In some respects, this represents lost opportunity for PUP who, but for their implosion, would have been perfectly positioned to pick up the disaffected conservative voters who can't get behind Turnbull.

You mentioned it elsewhere but a party that could be both fiscally responsible and yet socially balanced would be the perfect middle ground. Labors issue is that it just can't understand the value in spending wisely and the LNP thinks that unless things have an immediate fiscal benefit that they don't matter. Ironically they aren't mutually exclusive.

The benefit out of Turnbull becoming leader is the debate will swing back towards the centre on most topics.

Labor supporters will have a hard time hating him as he eventually "modernises" the debate and LNP voters will vote for him just because he's not Labor.

If he loses the tendency to be swayed by populist media as easily as he did when he was opposition leader, he could be there for a while as the best compromise we've had for a long time.

I see there's been "speculation" that Bernardi might leave the Libs and form his own party. I'd support that on the basis that it might be the end of his political career...

I see there's been "speculation" that Bernardi might leave the Libs and form his own party. I'd support that on the basis that it might be the end of his political career...
One can only hope. Having said that, senators are a touch trickier to get rid of; see Brian Harradine.

And would allow the two majors to go head to head on sensible policy issues rather than having to pander to the nutty right... although they'll still want preferences I guess.

I'm just sick to death of these self serving people and their arrogance.

Just govern this country for the people and to take us as a nation into the future in a secure solid fashion! Build all roads/infrastructure that is needed across the country, whatever problems we have today on the roads will only be fifty times worse in 30, 50, 80 years time.

Build more dams to catch every drop of water that may fall, so that if we have a major drought, we have a hope of surviving it. Build more desal plants and use them, so that our waterways have a hope of regenerating..........secure the country against a water shortage in the future.

The future, people, govern for our future generations!!

Get back to basics of what made this country great in the first place. Our early politicians built for the future........these politicians of today leave a lot to be desired imo.

All about priorities though MacMum. I think roads are important but education and training should be our overwhelming focus. I worry my kids aren't going to be able to compete with the rise of the middle class in developing nations. We've got to be smarter and more innovative than our competitors. To do that, we need huge investments in education and all the things that drive an innovative economy.

And Health. We're heading towards a crisis as baby boomers start hitting that age...
That's almost a given. We're not going to be left with much choice. If only we'd spent more on preventative health over the years....perhaps the ageing population could have been balanced by a healthier population with fewer smokers and less chronic disease.

That's almost a given. We're not going to be left with much choice. If only we'd spent more on preventative health over the years....perhaps the ageing population could have been balanced by a healthier population with fewer smokers and less chronic disease.
Hello? Did anyone see Logan's Run.

Hello? Did anyone see Logan's Run.

Quality reference.

That said, it's not completely silly either. We do need to have a mature discussion at some point about aged care in this country and the benefits of prolonging life long after the appreciable quality of life has diminished.

Funnily enough economic studies show that smokers actually help reduce health spending because of their reduced life span and higher penchant for aggressive cancers as opposed to long dragged-out (and potentially unhelpful) treatments, which really drives up costs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back