A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, the misuse of ED is more propaganda for a user pays system than having a massive effect on budget blow-outs in real terms. The majority of people aren't that stupid or arrogant to tie up emergency medicine, but like most things anecdotal evidence can make the impact seem a lot more significant.

Even the idea of emergency wards being tied up by alcohol fuelled violence and ice patients is a large amount of truth massaging. Emergency and acute intakes are slowed by mental health issues though a fair bit because mental health services are so under-funded and inadequate that the assessment end on that front is the bottleneck.

http://www.medicalsearch.com.au/mis...isruption-to-the-emergency-department/f/16650

This report mentions 1 in 7 presentations in ED being from alcohol misuse alone. Now while I don't know its credentials, if its true, and I cant be sure that that number seems like a lot to you, I'm also not sure it qualifies as truth massaging. For a self inflicted problem thats a lot of resources tied up.

And heres the link to another survey that talks about the numbers as well... some are a bit scary.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2014...sentations-australasian-emergency-departments

Last edited:
http://www.medicalsearch.com.au/mis...isruption-to-the-emergency-department/f/16650

This report mentions 1 in 7 presentations in ED being from alcohol misuse alone. Now while I don't know its credentials, if its true, and I cant be sure that that number seems like a lot to you, I'm also not sure it qualifies as truth massaging. For a self inflicted problem thats a lot of resources tied up.

Yeah, but welcome to the first world I guess. We have the luxury of lifestyle related illness. Sure, you could turf out the people with alcohol poisoning and/or cirrhosis ... but then what about the people with emphysema, heart disease and type 2 diabetes as a result of poor lifestyle choices? Where do you draw the line.

I don't see those people clogging up emergency departments as a problem with the ED system, or even misuse, that's just a wider health issue in general.

Last edited:
Yeah, but welcome to the first world I guess. We have the luxury of lifestyle related illness. Sure, you could turf the people with alcohol poisoning out and/or cirrhosis ... but then what about the people with emphysema, heart disease and type 2 diabetes as a result of poor lifestyle choices? Where do you draw the line.

I don't see those people clogging up emergency departments as a problem with the ED system, or even misuse, that's just a wider health issue in general.

You are right... its legal on top of it so it's a very hard one. I'm not sure you can draw a line really... if its universal health care that's exactly what it has to be. Like others, I'd hope we never have to change it.

Hopefully though we have enough forward thinking people to find better ways to deal with some of these issues, both preventive, and at a local hospital level.

And heres the link to another survey that talks about the numbers as well... some are a bit scary.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2014...sentations-australasian-emergency-departments

Sorry I wasn't clear enough in regards to alcohol misuse vs alcohol fuelled violence. Alcohol misuse is significant in EDs and you will get no argument from me on that, I poorly communicated the idea that the media trots out those figures without full context in stories about weekend entertainment area violence and believes that one in seven people in EDs are presenting for those reasons as a reason for draconian lockout laws and other liberty curtailing band-aid measures.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough in regards to alcohol misuse vs alcohol fuelled violence. Alcohol misuse is significant in EDs and you will get no argument from me on that, I poorly communicated the idea that the media trots out those figures without full context in stories about weekend entertainment area violence and believes that one in seven people in EDs are presenting for those reasons as a reason for draconian lockout laws and other liberty curtailing band-aid measures.

All good mate... there's been a bit of that going on in this thread... and I must admit I was feeling a little defensive at the time. Don't think any of us here really actually disagree with each other in terms of the bigger picture, its some how all got bogged down in semantics. :)

Haven't processed it all but looks to be a decided swing to the moderates (thank goodness).

Dick move by Andrews.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...shot-at-malcolm-turnbull-20150920-gjqtef.html

"Can I say that I'm disappointed that Mr Turnbull did not accept my offer to work with him. Frankly my remaining in this job was not about me. It was all about the stability of our Defence Force in Australia and its leadership.

No word from Andrews on how whinging about being replaced improves the stability of the Defence Force. It's definitely not about him though. Definitely about the good of the country. Yep.

Jokes aside, it looks like a reasonably strong cabinet. Hopefully we don't have to put up with Brandis as AG for too much longer, though.

Some interesting decisions by Turnbull re the new Cabinet. Takes on a decidedly Gen-X look.
Assistant Minster Wyatt Roy. The apocalypse is upon us.
As I expected, nothing for Laming.

LOL. Suck it.

Joe Hockey resigning for the "good of his family".

Funny how so many pollies discover they have families after being turfed out of their portfolio.
Although he may be moving his family overseas soon 'for their own good' if reports about him getting a diplomatic post are correct.

Assistant Minster Wyatt Roy. The apocalypse is upon us.

Although he may be moving his family overseas soon 'for their own good' if reports about him getting a diplomatic post are correct.

U.S. Ambassador. What a disgrace.

Would probably get on famously with President Trump though. Two peas in a pod.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

U.S. Ambassador. What a disgrace.

Would probably get on famously with President Trump though. Two peas in a pod.
Will make Beazley look great in comparison.
To be honest, I'm not completely opposed to deadwood pollies being pensioned off to cushy diplomatic roles if it means renewal within government. If that's what it takes to bring new talent through, then I can live with the cronyism.
You may have a point. But I think we should draw that line at diplomatic posts in important areas. I don't like the idea of the potential difficulties a government might face in dealing with a an ambassador who was formerly on the other side of politics. You'd expect better of most people, but you can never be sure(although from what I've been told, most of the ex-pollies do absolutely nothing and let the real diplomats run things). Pension them off to Italy/Spain/Switzerland or similar where they couldn't do any damage even if they wanted to.

Bolded is what I'm focusing on, to tell you the truth, total garbage.

What you described is so rare (except the drugs thing).

Ive worked in the ED at one of the big hospitals in brisbane over the past 18 months and can confirm that it is rare for any of those examples to happen, at least in Brisbane anyway. One problem is the way ED mental health currently works, it is common for mental health patients who are homeless present to ED looking for a place for the night. They know they will have somewhere safe to sleep and get sandwiches and breakfast and then they are happy to move on. That is wasting hospital resources which should be dealt with by another service.

Ive worked in the ED at one of the big hospitals in brisbane over the past 18 months and can confirm that it is rare for any of those examples to happen, at least in Brisbane anyway. One problem is the way ED mental health currently works, it is common for mental health patients who are homeless present to ED looking for a place for the night. They know they will have somewhere safe to sleep and get sandwiches and breakfast and then they are happy to move on. That is wasting hospital resources which should be dealt with by another service.
Not sure I see that as a "waste" of resources.

Not sure I see that as a "waste" of resources.

I'd argue it is - you can manage it a lot more efficiently with proper homeless accommodation rather than running it through the ED.

Mental Health, govt want nothing to do with it. Disgusting!

Thought I'd share;
Butch the Rooster
Sarah was in the fertilized egg business. She had several hundred young pullets and ten roosters to fertilize the eggs.

She kept records and any rooster not performing went into the soup pot and was replaced.

This took a lot of time, so she bought some tiny bells and attached them to her roosters. Each bell had a different tone, so she could tell from a distance which rooster was performing. Now, she could sit on the porch and fill out an efficiency report by just listening to the bells.

Sarah's favourite rooster, old Butch, was a very fine specimen but, this morning she noticed old Butch's bell hadn't rung at all! When she went to investigate, she saw the other roosters were busy chasing pullets, bells-a-ringing, but the pullets hearing the roosters coming, would run for cover.

To Sarah's amazement, old Butch had his bell in his beak, so it couldn't ring. He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job, and walk on to the next one.

Sarah was so proud of old Butch, she entered him in a Show and he became an overnight sensation among the judges.

The result was the judges not only awarded old Butch the "No Bell Peace Prize" they also awarded him the "Pulletsurprise" as well.

Clearly old Butch was a politician in the making. Who else but a politician could figure out how to win two of the most coveted awards on our planet by being the best at sneaking up on the unsuspecting populace and screwing them when they weren't paying attention?

Vote carefully in the next election. You can't always hear the bells.

I started watching the Bush v Gore race during the primary season and followed it through to the final death throes of the Florida debacle (I had just moved into a new place and it came with Foxtel ... so of course I got all my news 'fair' and 'balanced'!)

I pretty much ignored the next one (Bush take 2)

I followed the Obama vs Clinton (for some reason I never think of it as the Obama vs McCain or Palin one ;) although I did enjoy watch Palin write Tina Fey's skits for her :rolleyes:) pretty much the same - it caught my attention early and kept it through the process.

I pretty much ignored the next one (Obama take 2)

I have been caught up in the current one (presumptively Trump vs Clinton although not sure tbh that either Clinton or Sanders will get the nomination) even watching some of the debates (thank you YouTube) and based on historical patterns anticipate following this one through to the end as well.

I feel like a Microsoft operating system :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back