A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
This campaigner should be in jail. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-...ly-$290k-just-2-weeks-before-sackings/7093096

Sends another business broke, hundreds onto welfare all the while syphoning millions into his political pocket. I bet he's pissed that up against a wall too. Grub.

This represents the kind of thing that I just don't get with people, especially in QLD. They love and put their faith into a guy like this because he's some kind of maverick who's going to 'shake things up' or something. He gets proven to be a self-interested jerk and people lose interest but then when the next jerk comes along they'll still follow them. Meanwhile, decent people who understand and respect processes etc but are also different like good quality independents or minor party candidates get no love whatsoever. As a society we shoot ourselves in the foot.

I had a chat to a PUP person who handed out flyers outside a school at the last election. She had no interest in politics or government, she was a uni student getting $20 an hour to stand and hand out flyers for 8 hours that day and she was one person at one electoral booth. Palmer's business's must have paid out millions just to get him elected. His employees have ultimately paid the price.

I had a chat to a PUP person who handed out flyers outside a school at the last election. She had no interest in politics or government, she was a uni student getting $20 an hour to stand and hand out flyers for 8 hours that day and she was one person at one electoral booth. Palmer's business's must have paid out millions just to get him elected. His employees have ultimately paid the price.

Yeah, a lot of people from the nickel mine were being paid to attend these types of things and hand out flyers.

He has wanted to get rid of the mine for quite a while and it all has just come to ahead now. Pretty amazing how much money he's moved around using it.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why is the QLD government throwing money at coal ports in the current coal market?
I'm guessing because coal is still a money winner. Also with infrastructure in place it will entice foreign investors. Would rather that cash go towards greener energy sources such as nuclear though... but that's another debate.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With respect - it is Queensland - you tend to stay a little bit behind the times - remember Joh?
It's also one our of states biggest earners that employs tens of thousands of workers. It's not going anywhere soon. Anyway it will slowly get phased out in about 50 years time. Coal is just too cheap too pass up as a fuel source that the developing nations can utilize.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
It's also one our of states biggest earners that employs tens of thousands of workers. It's not going anywhere soon. Anyway it will slowly get phased out in about 50 years time. Coal is just too cheap too pass up as a fuel source that the developing nations can utilize.
You hit the nail on the head "just too cheap to pass up"

If we as a planet were serious about climate change we'd put in the effort to go green ahead of time - it's not like we don't know about the consequences.

I flew over the Hunter last year - it made me sick

Crimso

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2002
Maleny
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
You hit the nail on the head "just too cheap to pass up"

If we as a planet were serious about climate change we'd put in the effort to go green ahead of time - it's not like we don't know about the consequences.

I flew over the Hunter last year - it made me sick

But we are serious about climate change, it's been too nice for too long, time for a bit of excitement!

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Big night for Bernie Sanders in Iowa. Will probably fall just short of Clinton but he is the big winner coming from a long way back. He will make an impassioned speech to capitalise on the momentum and his grass roots and Internet fundraising will go absolutely nuts from here. He will win New Hampshire comfortably.

On the GOP side, not surprised to see Cruz ahead of Trump. Trump's "stupid" comment was always going to hamstring him in Iowa. Scary to see how well Trump is doing across the board though. Doing very well with the evangelicals too which will terrify the s**t out of Cruz.

Strong third placing for Rubio - he is the big winner on the red side tonight. When the Trump circus begins to grind on more and more people, Rubio looks like a safe, electable establishment bet.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Bernie has cred
image.jpeg

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some kind of law that states the President of USA must be born in the USA? I had a quick Google of the potential winning candidates and Ted Cruz is apparently born in Canada?

NVM it seems it was a myth...

"Cruz, who was born in Canada, has maintained there are no constitutional barriers that prevent him from running. And so far the challenges to his candidacy are few and far between."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...uz-born-canada-eligible-run-president-update/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some kind of law that states the President of USA must be born in the USA? I had a quick Google of the potential winning candidates and Ted Cruz is apparently born in Canada?

No such law. The closest is that they must be a natural born US citizen, e.g. no naturalisation. At least one of Cruz's parents was a U.S. citizen, hence he was a natural born US citizen regardless of where he was born. The same applied to McCain (born in Panama) and would've even applied if the lies about Obama being born in Kenya were true as his mother was a U.S. citizen. The "Cruz is Canadian" angle is just being played up as a slur.

I think it got a bit of air time when it was rumoured that Arnie was looking to run for president a few years ago. Probably contributes to some of the misconceptions.

I think it got a bit of air time when it was rumoured that Arnie was looking to run for president a few years ago. Probably contributes to some of the misconceptions.
I'd attribute it to the deliberate misrepresentations around Obama's birth, personally. :)

Big night for Bernie Sanders in Iowa. Will probably fall just short of Clinton but he is the big winner coming from a long way back. He will make an impassioned speech to capitalise on the momentum and his grass roots and Internet fundraising will go absolutely nuts from here. He will win New Hampshire comfortably.

On the GOP side, not surprised to see Cruz ahead of Trump. Trump's "stupid" comment was always going to hamstring him in Iowa. Scary to see how well Trump is doing across the board though. Doing very well with the evangelicals too which will terrify the s**t out of Cruz.

Strong third placing for Rubio - he is the big winner on the red side tonight. When the Trump circus begins to grind on more and more people, Rubio looks like a safe, electable establishment bet.
The GOP is a scary place these days. Rubio's politics have very little alignment with my own but he looks the least worst option as next US president if the Republicans happen to win in November.

Speaking of November, the Democrats are favourites but not as convincingly as I had expected. Wonder if that has something to do with the malaise surrounding the Clinton campaign.

The only thing I'll ever remember Cruz for is saying that we should worry less about civilian casualties and more about killing the terrorists with drones.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea

NVM it seems it was a myth...

"Cruz, who was born in Canada, has maintained there are no constitutional barriers that prevent him from running. And so far the challenges to his candidacy are few and far between."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...uz-born-canada-eligible-run-president-update/
Seinfeld - Frank uses it as a reason for him never running for President

"They don't want me - I don't want them"

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
The GOP is a scary place these days. Rubio's politics have very little alignment with my own but he looks the least worst option as next US president if the Republicans happen to win in November.

Yeah, Jeb Bush started to look good for a while in this bizarre lineup. Who woulda thunk it.

Yeah, Jeb Bush started to look good for a while in this bizarre lineup. Who woulda thunk it.
They won't be able to control the middle of the political debate while they continue to put up exteme candidates. But a moderate Republican simply can't win the nomination. Catch-22 for the GOP right now. In some respects, a Rubio (who was Tea Party extreme when he first emerged) is their best bet. Enough conservative credits in the bank to win the nomination but with the ability to nab elements of the Dem. vote due to a few niche positions on issues like Immigration.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin

Speaking of November, the Democrats are favourites but not as convincingly as I had expected. Wonder if that has something to do with the malaise surrounding the Clinton campaign.
Cruz, Trump, Carson and co make Rubio look reasonable. Not saying much though, Rubio also makes Romney and McCain look great.
Such an embarrassing failure. Where do you go from there?
They won't be able to control the middle of the political debate while they continue to put up exteme candidates. But a moderate Republican simply can't win the nomination. Catch-22 for the GOP right now. In some respects, a Rubio (who was Tea Party extreme when he first emerged) is their best bet. Enough conservative credits in the bank to win the nomination but with the ability to nab elements of the Dem. vote due to a few niche positions on issues like Immigration.
Really odd group of candidates this time around. Even the Tea Party hates Cruz, most Republicans hate Trump, Sanders has essentially been an independent for most of his political career as well. If it weren't for the Clinton machine, there would be a reasonable chance of both parties ending up with candidates that their organised wings don't support. Trump or Cruz would be a nightmare for the GOP because a large portion of their base wouldn't be willing to vote for either candidate. You can't win an election if a significant number of your base moves into the undecided column, just won't be motivated to turn out to vote or would even consider voting for the other party out of spite. Same goes for Hillary to an extent, but I don't think it would be as electorally significant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back