A TISM question

Remove this Banner Ad

The following is part one of an audio recording with Humphrey B. Flaubert and Ron Hitler-Barassi hosting a music programme on RRR in 2004:

[youtube]

RHB: "We'll be taking you for the next three hours. We apologise straight away for our lateness. We were standing at the tram stop at the corner of Heatherton and Springvale Road in South Springvale. We actually thought that the only way a RRR DJ was able to get to RRR was via tram and the tram at the corner of Heatherton Road and Springvale Road is quite inconsistent. Inconsistent to the point of non-existence.

After a futile four hours of waiting for that tram, we had to get into our Toranas and come in all the way into the inner-city. I'm not sure if RRR listeners know anything at all about the inner-city. It's a strange beast. It's full of weird left-hand turns; strange rules when a tram is stopping [pause] and lesbians.

RRR listeners, we are here to take you through three hours of heterosexual, non-lesbian, non-dance troupe, non-government-funded Australian rock music.

To start off, we thought we'd play a little bit of Died Pretty. TISM actually played with Died Pretty at the very first Livid Festival in Brisbane. Died Pretty at the time were a marvellous band with Ronnie Peno up front. I remember seeing him backstage with a beetroot red face and his slightly greying temples, exhausted and yet exhilirated by the power and glory that was Died Pretty's music.

What I want to concentrate on, however, is the state of the toilets at the Livid Festival.

Dante himself could not describe the sort of filthy odeur that permeated the air where one sat on that disgusting abattoir. With the fecal matter splattered, almost coalescing in the air, one could feel the gray sweaty nature of that fecal stench deep inside one's inner-most recesses.

We will never play at the Livid Festival, again. The only reason for that is: TISM are no good.

RHB: Humphrey, there's been a lot of good theories, of course. There's been Einstein's theory, Archimedes' theory; there was Marxist theory of capital, but I think you've got probably the best theory in Oz rock at the moment.

HBF: Yeah, I reckon calling your band something "Theory" is fantastic, you know? I reckon "Shannon Noll Theory" has a nice ring to it.

RHB: Yeah, "Jet Theory"

HBF: Yeah, I actually saw this band live and my big sister's high school social. Can you imagine people trying to dance to this music? Well, they were.

RHB: You were. You're an arcane man and a recondite connoisseur of the subtle interlaces in the great kaleidoscope of Oz rock.

Now, MacKenzie Theory obviously has been a great influence on you. What was MacKenzie Theory's genre?

HBF: I guess, loosely, if you want to put it into today's terminology, it'd be a sort of nu-progressive, but really I just think it's great music to have a terrible punch-up to, you know? Because, when I was young, I saw a lot of people have the s**t beat out of them to MacKenzie Theory.

RHB: The MacKenzie Theory; I can see just like there's a new rock movement and rock 'n' roll's back in. Do you think there could be a new MacKenzie Theory movement sweeping Oz rock?

HBF: I think the possibility is quite enticing, Ron. I think you can judge by Rob's later career move after he got the government grant. He came back to Australia and unsuccessfully tried to start a band called "MacKenzie's Menthoids".

I think Australia at the time wasn't ready for Mackenzie's Menthoids, but I think they are today and it's a sad thing.

Last edited:
The following is part one of an audio recording with Humphrey B. Flaubert and Ron Hitler-Barassi hosting a music programme on RRR in 2004:

[youtube]uZ_yLBYnVho[/youtube]

RHB: "We'll be taking you for the next three hours. We apologise straight away for our lateness. We were standing at the tram stop at the corner of Heatherton and Springvale Road in South Springvale. We actually thought that the only way a RRR DJ was able to get to RRR was via tram and the tram at the corner of Heatherton Road and Springvale Road is quite inconsistent. Inconsistent to the point of non-existence.

After a futile four hours of waiting for that tram, we had to get into our Toranas and come in all the way into the inner-city. I'm not sure if RRR listeners know anything at all about the inner-city. It's a strange beast. It's full of weird left-hand turns; strange rules when a tram is stopping [pause] and lesbians.

RRR listeners, we are here to take you through three hours of heterosexual, non-lesbian, non-dance troupe, non-government-funded Australian rock music.

To start off, we thought we'd play a little bit of Died Pretty. TISM actually played with Died Pretty at the very first Livid Festival in Brisbane. Died Pretty at the time were a marvellous band with Ronnie Peno up front. I remember seeing him backstage with a beetroot red face and his slightly greying temples, exhausted and yet exhilirated by the power and glory that was Died Pretty's music.

What I want to concentrate on, however, is the state of the toilets at the Livid Festival.

Dante himself could not describe the sort of filthy odeur that permeated the air where one sat on that disgusting abattoir. With the fecal matter splattered, almost coalescing in the air, one could feel the gray sweaty nature of that fecal stench deep inside one's inner-most recesses.

We will never play at the Livid Festival, again. The only reason for that is: TISM are no good.

RHB: Humphrey, there's been a lot of good theories, of course. There's been Einstein's theory, Archimedes' theory; there was Marxist theory of capital, but I think you've got probably the best theory in Oz rock at the moment.

HBF: Yeah, I reckon calling your band something "Theory" is fantastic, you know? I reckon "Shannon Noll Theory" has a nice ring to it.

RHB: Yeah, "Jet Theory"

HBF: Yeah, I actually saw this band live and my big sister's high school social. Can you imagine people trying to dance to this music? Well, they were.

RHB: You were. You're an arcane man and a recondite connoisseur of the subtle interlaces in the great kaleidoscope of Oz rock.

Now, MacKenzie Theory obviously has been a great influence on you. What was MacKenzie Theory's genre?

HBF: I guess, loosely, if you want to put it into today's terminology, it'd be a sort of nu-progressive, but really I just think it's great music to have a terrible punch-up to, you know? Because, when I was young, I saw a lot of people have the s**t beat out of them to MacKenzie Theory.

RHB: The MacKenzie Theory; I can see just like there's a new rock movement and rock 'n' roll's back in. Do you think there could be a new MacKenzie Theory movement sweeping Oz rock?

HBF: I think the possibility is quite enticing, Ron. I think you can judge by Rob's later career move after he got the government grant. He came back to Australia and unsuccessfully tried to start a band called "MacKenzie's Menthoids".

I think Australia at the time wasn't ready for Mackenzie's Menthoids, but I think they are today and it's a sad thing.

Love them together riffing off each other. Has a very Roy and HG feel to it.

I think the lead singer was the guy in TISM

You are correct!

I saw them at Queenscliff Music Festival earlier this year. If your in Melbourne, come to the album launch at the Social Club. I think its mid March, they are good value live

Bump. Have yet to dig into the back catalogue but have spent hours and days reading interviews and listening to their most popular few songs.

Eagle Empire if you were able to fix up all your Youtube links in this thread (just by removing the [youtube] tags and adding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= before the URL code) then it'd be greatly appreciated!

Bump. Have yet to dig into the back catalogue but have spent hours and days reading interviews and listening to their most popular few songs.

Eagle Empire if you were able to fix up all your Youtube links in this thread (just by removing the [youtube] tags and adding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= before the URL code) then it'd be greatly appreciated!

done

I recommend listening to poetry and spoken word pieces by the frontman that are found on the bonus discs of Machiavelli and tism.w***er.com.

My particular favourite is Don't Believe The Hype Is Hype.

Also, their classiest album is Great Trucking Songs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they're all teachers (bar one who's a lawyer. pun intended)... maybe one of them is your teacher. you should ask
ive heard that several times. because, they use to mainly tour during school holidays as well as on most of their albums they credit one of the schools in Ringwood from memory

The thing I like about TISM is something a lot of people don't actually get: their cultural and political observations and critiques. They weren't just saying * and talking about King Street, there was something analytical and profound about why they selected certain footballers over others in a throwaway line. They also took the piss out of the music industry. I always seriously loved that line about Public Enemy saying don't believe the hype, but that everyone believed that.

Whatareya – yob or w***er. Everyone's something, most of us are a bit of both because we like beers and say campaigner a bit too much but also don't mind a novel. I always thought accepting that duality was like... nice and self-deprecating; how's Australians should be, before we all got pampered and soft because we were born in the 90s.

I Rooted A Girl... I always thought it was cool that everyone knew an AFL footballer and in Melbs, everyone has a story about how they swear they saw Swanny out, that Dusty's really shy at nightclubs, and how he's actually gay, and not only that, he's going out with him! It's so funny how the cult of celebrity intersects with the normality of these working to lower-middle to middle class guys. There's something cool about the way they tapped into that – that and the inanity of standing in a lift with Steve Waugh, a s**t, pointless story that you tell anywhere, or the joy and camaraderie of when your mate tells you "you're in!" at a club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back