Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a decent leap. Good to see Toddy front and centre as well.

With talented, inconsistent guys, I tend to focus on what they can't do well enough.

I won't go into the things that Ace didn't do well enough in the past because I (and others) have banged on about them long enough. Suffice to say, if I compare Cornelius from 2011 to the Cornelius who played Saturday night, then the difference is remarkable. He is clearly working on the deficiencies which is all you can ask.

Having said that (and here comes the knock)......

Firstly, it was a shortened game which is tailor made for a guy like him, who has struggled to maintain intensity across 4 quarters. So he still has the asterisk against his form, despite the significant improvement in his all-round game. As Grim said, he needs to reproduce it in a proper contest.

Secondly, I think he still tends to mentally switch off during games. There were a few occasions on Saturday when his direct opponent managed to play in front of him. For a guy who isn't that tall, isn't big and isn't that quick, he simply can't afford for his opponent to out-read him. Without the natural gifts of many forwards, he needs to be smarter and more switched on than his opponent. He definitely is not a dumb footballer - therefore, it must be a concentration issue. By sitting on his heels when the ball comes inside 50, he is doing himself a disservice because those are the situations where his marking and game sense should be most advantageous. If he can be the first to react when the ball goes inside 50, he will be a significantly more dangerous 3rd tall forward.

But geez, if we are talking things that he needs to work on, the list has gone from very long to quite manageable over the course of 2 seasons. He might not be there yet but the signs are looking more positive.

Yeah, I thought the third tall options were all about equally effective. Ace sticks out because he does the spectacular but Lisle and Guns were solid as well.

Ace is worth persisting with over the longer term simply because if/when he does get it all together he could be a terrific player.

Secondly, I think he still tends to mentally switch off during games.

Agree with your post POBT, and another thing I have noticed is that 2nd efforts aren't instinctive for him. Someone like Zorko does it without thiking but he has to really concentrate to maintain the intensity. You can see he's trying but it does make him prone to lapses.

Agree with your post POBT, and another thing I have noticed is that 2nd efforts aren't instinctive for him. Someone like Zorko does it without thiking but he has to really concentrate to maintain the intensity. You can see he's trying but it does make him prone to lapses.

I'd agree with that. You almost see him pause after his first effort and then say "oh s**t" and then put in the yards to get to the next contest. Guys like Zorko, Banfield, Black and Redden just seem to automatically gravitate to the next spot they need to be in. It is a more manual adjustment for Ace.

Still, as you say, he's definitely trying.

reckon its time to back ace in , he has worked hard on his game even in the quick glimpse that was at the weekend showed that. way to much analysis , lets all get behind the him he could be a sensation for us and he is one of ours lets keep him that way.
i see a great year ahead for him , he just needs backing and a chance to perform

This guy is at the improvement age of his career in my opinion. Give him a crack this year and see where it leads. If he fails then let him go.You need to be aconsistent performer in the position he is suited for and he doesn't have the tank for the backline. Make or break for Aaron.

Can someone give me a comparison player for Aaron? I can't really picture a good one...

I always thought if he bulked up he'd be a bit like Jack Riewoldt (obviously not exatly)... but doesn't appear he will ever bulk up enough for that.

Cornelius impresses Lions
March 04, 2013
Greg Davis and Marco Monteverde

BRISBANE'S search for a third tall forward could finally be over.

Aaron Cornelius continued his eye-catching start to 2013 by kicking 5.4 in the Lions' three-point NAB Cup win against GWS in Wagga Wagga on Saturday night.

The 22-year-old Tasmanian also kicked crucial goals in Brisbane's first-round victories in the NAB Cup, and was prolific in an intra-club match two weeks ago.

Brisbane need a foil to Jonathan Brown, and the resting ruckman in the attacking 50 and Cornelius, who has played 22 games since his 2009 AFL debut, shapes as the likely candidate.

295432-aaron-cornelius.jpg

Can someone give me a comparison player for Aaron? I can't really picture a good one...

I always thought if he bulked up he'd be a bit like Jack Riewoldt (obviously not exatly)... but doesn't appear he will ever bulk up enough for that.

Peter Curran

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A

And Riewoldt is 195cm.

Fair comparison that.

I have often thought he reminds me of a fellow Tasmanian, Russell Robertson, although I suspect Ace is taller.

That's the name I've thought of a few times as well.

He looks a lot more athletic this season. His body looks similar to Patfull's so I think it's clear that he's in the best shape of his career. A couple more solid performances in the next 2 weeks and he'll play in the seniors in round 1.

It was fun scrolling back a few pages and reading about him being out of contract, whether he'll still be on the list. It may have been a close call for Aaron if Retzy was still around.

I am glad he is now starting to deliver on everything the coaching staff envisioned. Keep up the good work A-Corn.

It was fun scrolling back a few pages and reading about him being out of contract, whether he'll still be on the list. It may have been a close call for Aaron if Retzy was still around.

I am glad he is now starting to deliver on everything the coaching staff envisioned. Keep up the good work A-Corn.
Really impressed with his defensive pressure last night...he has taken this up a noticeable notch!

Laid a massive tackle on Russell in the last quarter.

Laid a massive tackle on Russell in the last quarter.

One thing I noticed about his tackling was that he tended to go the bear hug, ensuring he held the ball in instead of letting it pop out. Was very good to see.

However I was a little disappointed with the lack of shepherding that he was guilty of on quite a few occasions. Really needs to work on that.

Watched him in particular on the replay. Interesting game, white hot at first, bristling with confidence and energy.

Then was much quieter once they moved Frost onto him. But as opposed to previous seasons he was not actually completely shut down. Kept on having a go and had a number of opportunities but he just could not execute at all. Seemed to have lost all his confidence, dropped simple marks and missed gettable shots.

One thing I noticed about his tackling was that he tended to go the bear hug, ensuring he held the ball in instead of letting it pop out. Was very good to see.

However I was a little disappointed with the lack of shepherding that he was guilty of on quite a few occasions. Really needs to work on that.
I thought he struggled with the heat. As I said in the match thread, he didn't look to be running as well as he did in previous weeks. Beamer was the same IMO.

But this is a winter game and him struggling with hot weather hardly comes as a surprise. In past years, that lack of energy would have worried me. I'm less concerned this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back