Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ace bags 8 in Blacktown

One of the players who didn’t seem too affected by the delivery was Aaron Cornelius who bagged a season-high eight goals in a dominant display up forward.

“Aaron had a mixed bag in terms of how he scored his goals which was pleasing,” Harding said.

“He had a good work-rate, led strongly and gave us a target, and even kicked a couple from stoppages. He probably could’ve kicked some more if we’d been more effective and delivered the ball to him better.”

Despite Cornelius’ eight-goal haul, it was Patrick Karnezis who earned best-on-ground honours with another productive display in the centre.

Probable the best statement there would be the goals from stoppages. In a 3rd forward role he has to be really opportunistic with his goal scoring, so stuff like that would be great for the coaches to see. Fingers crossed they bring him back in this week after then (probably) send Stakes down back to cover Merrett.

Probable the best statement there would be the goals from stoppages. In a 3rd forward role he has to be really opportunistic with his goal scoring, so stuff like that would be great for the coaches to see. Fingers crossed they bring him back in this week after then (probably) send Stakes down back to cover Merrett.

IIRC two or three of his goals were from stoppages, and they were definitely more impressive than the other five or six from uncontested marks where the GWS defence simply had no one marking him.

IIRC two or three of his goals were from stoppages, and they were definitely more impressive than the other five or six from uncontested marks where the GWS defence simply had no one marking him.

I don't think he'll come in again...his papers have been marked :cool:

In any case, the Blues have only one legitimate tall forward in Waite...and Kruezer resting in there. I think Maguire and Patfull is enough with Lester/Staker for back up if needed.

I don't think he'll come in again...his papers have been marked :cool:

In any case, the Blues have only one legitimate tall forward in Waite...and Kruezer resting in there. I think Maguire and Patfull is enough with Lester/Staker for back up if needed.

Not sure how a post talking about his kicking for goal made you think it was being pushed he be selected to play in the backline. :confused:

If Staker moves back as you have stated, then there will need to be a replacement for him in the forward line and if they keep the same structure would be a 3rd tall type, which you would suspect be one of Cornelius/Papparone/Karnesis. However it's entirely possible they go small and simply bring Green back into the side.

Having gambled and lost with the tribunal visit of Brown, who would have been available for the Fremantle game with an early plea, coach Michael Voss will probably turn to one of the club's most enigmatic figures, Aaron Cornelius has booted 12 goals in his last two matches in the reserves.

I hope so.

I have no confidence if our forward line is left to Michael and Lisle, combined total of 7 goals at senior AFL level between them.

Personally I have as much confidence in Ace as I do in Lisle. Michael is untried really and I'm yet to evaluate him up forward. It will an interesting week with the selections, hopefully we can create an effective and useful forward with Ace in it.

I worry about Ace lining up against a key defender, when he struggles for impact against a third tall. But maybe it's time to roll the dice...

I hope so.

I have no confidence if our forward line is left to Michael and Lisle, combined total of 7 goals at senior AFL level between them.

Michael hasn't played a game up forward in the seniors and Lisle has played what, 13 games with a couple of those in defence. I'd be bringing Ace in though, much better suited to that third tall role.

if cornelius & karnesis are not picked this week ... i think we can draw the obvious conclusions as to their futures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the fringe
7 June 2013
Sam Lord

Aaron Cornelius and Patrick Karnezis are among a host of Lions players who have shown promising form during the pre-season and in the NEAFL, but are yet to replicate it regularly at senior level. As a result, the pair have managed just three senior games each so far this season.

“(Aaron Cornelius) has been able to win a spot, but hasn’t been able to hold it,” O’Donnell said. “He’s shown some good form in patches of games, more so when he actually comes and presents at the footy rather than perhaps waiting for the long ball.

“Like the rest of our team, his reaction to defence can probably be a little bit better and he’s working on that area of his game as well. He’s certainly got good hands, so when he does get in front the ball is hard to dislodge. That’s a strength of his game.

O’Donnell said a level of patience was required from the coaches, players and fans in terms of seeing improvements in the team. “You have to be patient, but we haven’t got a lot of time either,” O’Donnell said. “Once those guys on the fringe get the improvement, then the team comes on a little bit and we can sell a little bit of hope to our supporters.”

How is Acorn going in the reserves?

Just going. A few of us have mooted whether he knows his cards are marked and he is just going through the motions a tad now.

I don't think we will see him in the seniors again.

I'd like to see Cornelius bulk up a bit a la Jack Darling or build up a tank to play on the wing, and sneak forward like Gunston. At the moment he is pretty much pigeon holed in the forward pocket.

I'd like to see Cornelius bulk up a bit a la Jack Darling or build up a tank to play on the wing, and sneak forward like Gunston. At the moment he is pretty much pigeon holed in the forward pocket.

Yeah it's frustrating that Ace just seems to have that sort of wiry frame (like Jarrad Grant) that makes it seriously hard for him to bulk up, and he also seems to have issues (VO2Max perhaps) that prevent him from building a really good endurance base. Really holds him back at AFL level. :/

Yeah it's frustrating that Ace just seems to have that sort of wiry frame (like Jarrad Grant) that makes it seriously hard for him to bulk up, and he also seems to have issues (VO2Max perhaps) that prevent him from building a really good endurance base. Really holds him back at AFL level. :/

It's a shame, he has all the attributes you can't teach (leading nous, good hands). Physically he just isn't up to it.

Nah, that's crap IMO; it's all mental with ACE. Are you telling me our fitness staff couldn't get the work into him that would allow him to repeat 40m leads or chases (with on a small % at top pace) for years on end :confused:

I think he's lazy and is happy kicking bags in the 2's and just to be at an AFL club (obviously loves the Lions). Interesting to see what will happen with him now that Voss is no longer there...

If he gets another contract, and that's a massive if, I'd have him training without a footy until March 1 :cool:

He needs to watch how Jack Gunston gets seperation and easy shots on goal at Hawthorn - Gunston is similar in size and stature, but is a lot better at getting that 5m space through his footy nous and better running capacity.

Surely Cornelius has to go if Roosy is appointed coach. He is everything Roos doesn't want in a forward. Sydney already got rid of a similar type in Lewis Johnston.

Anyone got Cornelius' stats for the year? Seemed to be dominating in the NEAFL for the first two thirds of the year, and then fell away badly at the end. Suggests he saw the writing on the wall and the work rate went into decline.

Anyone got Cornelius' stats for the year? Seemed to be dominating in the NEAFL for the first two thirds of the year, and then fell away badly at the end. Suggests he saw the writing on the wall and the work rate went into decline.

Going off what I can find online (only I haven't been to any of the games) looks like he was pretty consistent with his goal kicking getting less then 2 goals only once in the back half of the season. Wasn't name in the bests since the end of June when we played the Swans and he kicked 4 goals until last the final last weekend (without Lisle in the team up forward obviously). Source:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...92524472&client=1-8334-112667-244530-16755858

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?id=16755858&client=1-8334-0-244530-0&compID=244530

Remove this Banner Ad

Back