Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

What was Voss's comment? I am only guessing about this from what my friend said.
Voss mentioned in his QandA that Aaron is best suited for the 3rd tall role in the seniors, despite being a primary target the next level down. His message was that Aaron had to work very hard on his fitness over the breal to really smash that role. It was actually really clear and concise on Vossie's behalf: "Here is your task and your objectives, ball's in your court now".

Quote below

Ace (Cornelius) is a third tall, he's not a primary tall. At NEAFL level he'll look like a primary forward, but he's not. As a result of that, he's got to get himself fitter and that's what will cap him. If he can get himself to the next level, which he's more than capable of, we'll have a pretty handy third tall. We all believe he can get there and we all believe he can play a significant role because I think everyone has seen the talent he has. There's a lot of things we need to get right in the role we need him to play and there's certain physical requirements that need to happen for that to take place. He's probably one of those we've fought between exactly what his position is, but we don't believe he's a primary forward. He has the capacity to play minutes there, but not games there. That's something that will shape him going forward.

Voss mentioned in his QandA that Aaron is best suited for the 3rd tall role in the seniors, despite being a primary target the next level down. His message was that Aaron had to work very hard on his fitness over the breal to really smash that role. It was actually really clear and concise on Vossie's behalf: "Here is your task and your objectives, ball's in your court now".

Quote below

Perhaps because my friend does not see Acorn all the time, he was seemingly bigger, I dunno, thanks for the info though.

had a great chat to Ace today down here in Hobart today

he is getting over his niggles and is looking forward to a good year , chatted about the club, his contract, browny, patty k , molony, vossey, the ressies and heaps of things about life as a lion !! he knows all about big footy and the stuff that gets bandied about both good and bad !

good news is i expect him to stay a lion and yes he does love the club :thumbsu:

told him i need him to have a great year so i can say i told you so !!

he is getting over his niggles and is looking forward to a good year , chatted about the club, his contract, browny, patty k , molony, vossey, the ressies and heaps of things about life as a lion !! he knows all about big footy and the stuff that gets bandied about both good and bad !

good news is i expect him to stay a lion and yes he does love the club :thumbsu:

What did the big fella say about patty k?

That sounds awesome, any more info you could give about what he said would be brilliant to hear.

And Moloney?

carnt say too much i guess but he was injures in the ressies for the last few games and struggled to move in the GF which he found very frustrating. voss has faith in him and the ball is in his court to go what he needs to do, he reckons patty k mum realy looks after him and feeds him well he is a real family boy ! was realy happy about moloney and thinks he will make redden a real champ this year. so happy also that black is going around again

carnt say too much i guess but he was injures in the ressies for the last few games and struggled to move in the GF which he found very frustrating. voss has faith in him and the ball is in his court to go what he needs to do, he reckons patty k mum realy looks after him and feeds him well he is a real family boy ! was realy happy about moloney and thinks he will make redden a real champ this year. so happy also that black is going around again

Cheers for sharing irish, really appreciate it. So it seems we need to move Pat's mum up to Brisbane then. Great to hear Ace is pumped for next season at the club though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, hopefully he'll have a strong pre-season and can have the break out year we know he capable of.

yeh listen I really hope he makes it this year, for me he is the biggest tease on the list...he has shown glimpses of what he is capable of, lets hope he can put it all together this year and cement his spot in the 22

no worries ! he is a great young man , just trying to make a go of it at the lions. get to talk to him a couple of times a year when he gets back home was very interesting to hear first hand how things operate up there at the gabba.

one thing he did say was he thinks the team isnt too far away from being something special just need the cards to fall our way

It says a lot about both the team environment, respect for coaches and belief in the direction the club is heading hearing this. I have seemed to think he must be getting a little discouraged at not breaking regularly into the team. To hear he loves the club and is really keen to continue on hard is great news. I think it says a lot about the character of him. :thumbsu:

Just watching the 2001 GF, and I've got two questions.

If Ace put on some more weight in the gym, could he become like Bradshaw (strong contested marking target that can wrestle the 2nd best defender, and lay a mean tackle)?

Or if he builds his engine are we more likely to see him turn into a young Copeland (quick and hard running defensive efforts)?

Personally I'd love to see him sprout some shoulders and guns and follow in Bradshaw's footsteps.

Watching those highlights makes me think we have to persevere a little longer. No doubt he has improved every year. With an improving midfield you have to think with another per season under his belt he has the chance to be the dangerous leading forward we want. I think he has the Bradshaw attributes, hopefullybhe can put it all together. C'mon Ace get it done!

Ace has all the talent in the world its only his body that is holding him back. He isn't tall enough and his bones structure aren't large enough to allow him to turn into a power forward, he doesn't have any leg speed or endurance to allow him to be a true 3rd up tall either. Can't play anywhere within the midfield, not so sure about defence but probably would get run off his feet. Just don't see a place for him in the team, unless he somehow gains some fast twitch muscle fibres and plays as a deep forward in the mold of Jumping Jack (which he has been likened too)

Aaron Cornelius 2012 End of Season Review
by IanHaso84

2011 review

Senior games: 8
Goals: 13
Dreamteam: 418
Supercoach: 383
Club Best and Fairest: 4.5

6710844599_437558bf46_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

The 'Casey Junior' Foward: I think I can I think I can...

Aaron Cornelius by all reports needed a big preseason to separate himself from the pack and cement his spot in the starting 22. Training reports seemed to indicate that he was putting in the effort, and was well in contention in what was perceived to be his competition for a forward spot with Jordan Lisle and Bryce Retzlaff. With Brown going down on the training track in a lightening striking thrice scenario, it seemed certain that one if the the 3 would make it into the firsts for the start of the season. To the consternation of many supporters, Voss controversially moved Merrett up forward, and was prepared to leave what many thought at the time to be a hole in the back line rather than bring our boy Aaron (or either of the other two) into the side. He wasn't quite ready, yet, it seemed.

Aaron didn't make it into the side until Round 4 for QClash 3, which turned out to be his best game of the year, statistically speaking. His 4 goals, 12 kicks, and 10 marks, which culminated in 107 dreamteam points, provided many with hope for his future, along with many hypothetical 'I told you so's directed at our fearless leader. His following two games however, in rounds 5 and 6 against Geelong and Essendon, were of a lower standard (in losing teams), and he was sent back to the Ressies for a spell.

A similar pattern emerged upon his return to the seniors in Round 9. In this close loss to North at Etihad, Aaron was a part of the group that brought the Lions surging back to within a couple of points of the Roos before narrowly losing. His 4 goals and excellent field passes were exceptional. The following 2 games against West Coast and Hawthorn were again not bad, but not exceedingly good either, with one goal, in each, 4 kicks 3 marks against West Coast, and 2 kicks 1 mark against Hawthorn. This again saw him dropped back to the Ressies to think about what he'd done.

Aaron returned for 2 more games, again another 2 in a row against the Saints (loss) and the Gold Coast for QClash 4 (win) in Rounds 16 and 17. His performances in these games were a little better statistically than his previous 2 (2 kicks, 3 marks and 1 goal, and then 9 kicks, 5 marks and 1 goal), but again he did not light up the track so to speak, nor did he stand out particularly. He was not seen again in the seniors for the rest of the year.

Throughout his stints in the NEAFL for the Lions Reserves, Aaron proved that he can dominate at that level, kicking multiple goals at Full Forward throughout the year, forming a formidable partnership with Retzlaff pre-ACL and Jordan Lisle. Aaron also participated in the finals series where the Lions reserves won the Northern Conference Grand Final against the NT Thunder, and then the cross-conference Grand Final versus Queanbeyan. Although appearing to be hobbled by a niggle, perhaps, he contributed well to a winning team.

It seems that there are areas of Aaron's game that require further work to truly cement his spot in the starting 22. His defensive game, and his mobility and run have been highlighted. At age 22, he can be forgiven for still being stuck in a development phase, and should still have a lot of improvement to go. There is evidence to suggest that he is taking feedback on board, and that aspects of his game are improving. Throughout the year, his field kicks were long, pinpoint, and amazingly executed. Along with these, a thunderous bump on Brent Guerra in Round 12, and a 100 metre sprint and chase down to ensure that the ball went out to Brisbane's advantage versus Geelong in Round 5 stand as evidence of his improvement and further potential. It seems that he simply needs more time and continued effort to maintain quality and consistency.

In his end of season Q and A, Voss was explicit in his view that although Aaron is a great Full Forward at Reserves level, he is a 3rd tall at seniors level, and that he needs to develop his run and fitness to occupy that role. Aaron knows what to do, and we look forward to seeing him do it. We think you can, Ace!

Looked like he made progress this year with his work ethic and desire to work harder, but just lacked the fitness to maintain it, and his up and down form I think shows that. He needs to play as a 3rd tall on the 2nds, or a wide roaming CHF to help get that side of his game going. Playing at FF at NEAFL level won't improve him any further. Lisle and Martin as the key forwards, Ace as the 3rd tall and Longer in the ruck for the 2nds next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back