Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched him in particular on the replay. Interesting game, white hot at first, bristling with confidence and energy.

Then was much quieter once they moved Frost onto him. But as opposed to previous seasons he was not actually completely shut down. Kept on having a go and had a number of opportunities but he just could not execute at all. Seemed to have lost all his confidence, dropped simple marks and missed gettable shots.

I put that down to a good amount of onfield time, heat / endurance catching up. He didn't stop trying though, which is a big plus.

Ace has shown a bit these last few weeks. Has been highlighted that his direct man hasn't been a top flight defender. My hopes are that he's able to kick/create a few each week whilst adding pressure/intensity in the forward 50 but most importantly to not lose his bundle when things don't go as smoothly for him during a game. 30-40goals would be massive for our boys this year.

It is going to be interesting to see how Cornelius goes this year. Some weeks, he's going to get a decent opponent - guys like Michael Johnson, Rivers/Taylor, Chaplin, Gibson etc may play the 3rd tall defender role. Other weeks, he might get an opponent who can't match him aerially or on the lead.

But, just by being out there and being seen as a goal scoring threat, it creates knock-on effects for the rest of the side. If Bewick gets a true small defender as an opponent as opposed to a third tall, he will be dangerous most weeks. If the opposition is worried about Ace, it may cause his opponent to play more defensively, limiting the amount of run they can provide. And, if he can't get into a contest, he can play a role by simply creating space for one of the other forwards, leading his opponent away from Brown etc's space.

As long as Ace presents himself as a genuinely dangerous forward every week, and doesn't get burned when the opposition has the footy, he will make a big difference to the structure of our side.

He seems to have found a little bit of enjoyment in tackling now and some of the physical stuff instead of just wanting to sit on blokes heads. I think the higher work rate will never be natural, but as long as he finds some pleasure in other aspects of his role and executes something to keep his confidence up throughout the game he is always a danger of popping up creating a score.

v GWS - 13 disposals, 6 marks, 1 tackle
v Collingwood - 12 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles

Even leaving out goals, that is enough to get him games up forward IMO. Last year, Browny averaged about 15 touches, 7 marks and 1 tackle a game - and he is the primary target up forward.

It is the challenge Ace has as the 3rd forward. It's not an easy position to play. Key forwards take marks and kick goals. 3rd talls need to be decoys, keep their opponents accountable, work hard across the ground and try have a scoreboard impact. I agree with POBT, some weeks he will get a quality defender and his scoreboard impact will be nullified, he needs to work hard in keeping them accountable, leading up the ground and working them over, taking them out of the play and creating space for other forwards. Link up on the wings and let players like Bewick who might have a good matchup take that space up forward. Just needs to play smart, work hard and do the team role.

It's this part of his game he has needed to develop to lock down a spot.

Watched him in particular on the replay. Interesting game, white hot at first, bristling with confidence and energy.

Then was much quieter once they moved Frost onto him. But as opposed to previous seasons he was not actually completely shut down. Kept on having a go and had a number of opportunities but he just could not execute at all. Seemed to have lost all his confidence, dropped simple marks and missed gettable shots.

It's also worth noting that there was a least 2 occasions where Bewick running back with the flight of the ball snagged some kicks that were probably meant for Cornelius so he didn't stop presenting all night which is great to see.

But his final shot on goal of the night which rocketed straight out on the full I think showed that fatigue had set in for him.

If he and Bewick are up there with JB, it may stop a lot of the double / triple teaming against the big fella.

Cornelius earning his place
13th Mar 2013
Gordon Clark

NOT tall enough, not desperate enough, not fit enough and not consistent enough.

Former highly-rated Tasmanian junior Aaron Cornelius knows exactly why he has played just 22 games for the Brisbane Lions after being taken with pick 57 in the 2008 National AFL Draft.

His marking has been one of the highlights for the Lions in their 2013 NAB Cup campaign, which has seen the team earn a place in Friday night's grand final against Carlton at Etihad Stadium.

But it has been his improvement in other areas that has Cornelius hopeful 2013 could be the year he comes of age, pointing to the benefits of a high-altitude training camp in Arizona in November.

"I've certainly had one of my best pre-seasons. My fitness is good, I'm getting to a lot more contests - training in Arizona definitely helped me in that," he said.

GettyMar12__AaronCornelius_t460.jpg

As most have said he had a pretty disappointing game in the final, but just thinking back to the Collingwood game this makes it 6 quarters in a row that he's been off his game. Does anyone know if something happened at half time in the Collingwood game that made him lose his confidence?

Not all forwards are consistent, and lets face it he was on the end of a couple of mongrel punts from Moloney. The lad can mark, he can kick and his groundwork has come a long way. He will develop into an excellent forward. For those with a short memory it took Merret several years to get to grips with footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Short memories or not... I am not sure the Merrett comparison is apt. Merrett was a hell of an athlete but had little experience playing the game (came from a Rugby League background). Cornelius is more the other way around. Great footballer but not gifted athletically.

Not saying for a second that I don't think Cornelius has improved, but I think it oversimplifies things to say "That guy took a while and eventually became a gun, so therefore this guy will as well".

I wasn't really getting at that anyway, I was just more wondering if anyone had perhaps noticed an incident in the first half (perhaps an incident or injury) in the pies game that might have sapped his confidence.

Two steps forward, one step back. To take his game to the next level he needs to: a) find a way to get in the game if things aren't happening for him; and b) play well against good teams.

look i would conceed ace had a poor game in the final but has had a hell of a good preseason , leading goal scorer in the nab cup , nothing to be dismissed easily. the mix with him and martin is helping browny no doubt. we dont know what his game day instructions were , ie lead away to free browny maybe ? my mail is the coaching staff were not to un stisfied with his game, but he needs every game to be a step forward to keep his spot so hope fully he gets a gig round one becauce i believe he has done enough. but he will need to keep that head up take those grabs and tackle like his life depends on it

he will i am sure

Watched him live in the final, seemed to present okay but couldn't hold any grabs. Didn't seem to drop his head but did seem to accept the situation a little easy. Progress yes, but still a ways to go.

Wonder how much time he'll be given?

Watched him live in the final, seemed to present okay but couldn't hold any grabs. Didn't seem to drop his head but did seem to accept the situation a little easy. Progress yes, but still a ways to go.

Wonder how much time he'll be given?

Just turned 22. We have very little quality to replace (help anyway) Browny with. He'll be given the time, he just needs to solidly contribute every week with a couple of goals. He has the ability to kick 6 and rout a team from time to time, but I am sure they'd prefer 2 - 3 + team efforts every week.

A passing comment by Al Lynch on Insider tonight when the panel were reviewing the Lions was not promising. Something to the effect, "looks like a line has been drawn through Cornelius' name".

No idea whether that is fact or just Lynch's opinion, but a big call on national tv nonetheless.

Q&A b/w Greg Davis and Michael Voss

A number of young players like Patrick Karnezis, Aaron Cornelius and Billy Longer amongst others seem to be in and out of the senior side on a regular basis. Should you leave them in the top side for an extended period to give them a chance to find their feet?

In an ideal world, you'd like to pick and stick. But they've got to be ready. They've got to understand that there is a certain level needed to play senior level and if it is not met, it is met with the same consequences as everybody else. You'd love to give them enough time to be able to get into their role and be able to work through it.

Sometimes you might have to give them a rest after a few weeks because the intensity of senior footy gets too much. Those sorts of guys will form part of our core but we also have to manage how we introduce them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back