Abbott launches plan to stop female genital mutilation, domestic violence and forced marriages

Remove this Banner Ad

One's deadly, one's not. One's illegal, one's not. Seriously dude.

Female genital mutilation would be perfectly safe if performed in hospital like male genital mutilation is.

It really is only accepted because it's a cultural custom, as female genital mutilation is to other cultures.

Female genital mutilation would be perfectly safe if performed in hospital like male genital mutilation is.

It really is only accepted because it's a cultural custom, as female genital mutilation is to other cultures.
Yeah, nah. It's a lot more complicated than simply cutting off the foreskin of a penis. There's a reason it's illegal here. Heck, even the crazy feminazis aren't calling for it to be legalised!

Yeah, nah. It's a lot more complicated than simply cutting off the foreskin of a penis. There's a reason it's illegal here. Heck, even the crazy feminazis aren't calling for it to be legalised!

I don't see a separation between the two, both are ancient customs of cutting genitals within a culture. One has been around long enough for judo-christians to become comfortable with it.

That a young boy doesn't have the tip of his penis cut off doesn't diminish the now needless violence against the child.

Most of the dangers of female genital mutilation stem from not using sterile environments and equipment, improper aftercare and a lack of medial training for the "practitioners".

I don't see a separation between the two, both are ancient customs of cutting genitals within a culture. One has been around long enough for judo-christians to become comfortable with it.

That a young boy doesn't have the tip of his penis cut off doesn't diminish the now needless violence against the child.

Most of the dangers of female genital mutilation stem from not using sterile environments and equipment, improper aftercare and a lack of medial training for the "practitioners".
I agree with you that both are outdated and unnecessary practices, but male circumcision is less risky even in a controlled environment. All surgeries pose risks, and FGM requires certain parts of the female genitalia to be cut out that aren't supposed to.

I agree with you that both are outdated and unnecessary practices, but male circumcision is less risky even in a controlled environment. All surgeries pose risks, and FGM requires certain parts of the female genitalia to be cut out that aren't supposed to.

Is a foreskin supposed to be removed?

Is a foreskin supposed to be removed?
No. Is it a more simple surgery? Yes. Male circumcision is performed in these barbaric countries with a much better success rate than fgm.

No. Is it a more simple surgery? Yes. Male circumcision is performed in these barbaric countries with a much better success rate than fgm.

I'm glad we have put the two on the same level.

Male genital mutilation and female circumcision are perfectly comparable in my view. See how I change the language, we need to avoid getting sucked into setting an acceptable level of child mutilation and ban both.

Good move.

Also, as others have noted, very important to establish that FGM is a cultural, not religious issue:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

Cultural, religious and social causes
The causes of female genital mutilation include a mix of cultural, religious and social factors within families and communities.

• Where FGM is a social convention, the social pressure to conform to what others do and have been doing is a strong motivation to perpetuate the practice.
  • FGM is often considered a necessary part of raising a girl properly, and a way to prepare her for adulthood and marriage.
  • FGM is often motivated by beliefs about what is considered proper sexual behaviour, linking procedures to premarital virginity and marital fidelity. FGM is in many communities believed to reduce a woman's libido and therefore believed to help her resist "illicit" sexual acts. When a vaginal opening is covered or narrowed (type 3 above), the fear of the pain of opening it, and the fear that this will be found out, is expected to further discourage "illicit" sexual intercourse among women with this type of FGM.
  • FGM is associated with cultural ideals of femininity and modesty, which include the notion that girls are “clean” and "beautiful" after removal of body parts that are considered "male" or "unclean".
  • Though no religious scripts prescribe the practice, practitioners often believe the practice has religious support.
  • Religious leaders take varying positions with regard to FGM: some promote it, some consider it irrelevant to religion, and others contribute to its elimination.
  • Local structures of power and authority, such as community leaders, religious leaders, circumcisers, and even some medical personnel can contribute to upholding the practice.
  • In most societies, FGM is considered a cultural tradition, which is often used as an argument for its continuation.
  • In some societies, recent adoption of the practice is linked to copying the traditions of neighbouring groups. Sometimes it has started as part of a wider religious or traditional revival movement.
  • In some societies, FGM is practised by new groups when they move into areas where the local population practice FGM.

Also: http://www.endfgm.eu/en/female-genital-mutilation/what-is-fgm/why-is-it-practised/

• Cultural identity: In certain communities, where mutilation is carried out as part of the initiation into adulthood, FGM defines who belongs to the community. In such communities, a girl cannot be considered an adult in a FGM-practicing society unless she has undergone FGM.
  • Religion: FGM predates Islam and is not practiced by the majority of Muslims, but it has acquired a religious dimension. Where it is practiced by Muslims, religion is frequently cited as a reason. Many of those who oppose mutilation deny that there is any link between the practice and religion, but Islamic leaders are not unanimous on the subject. Although predominant among Muslims, FGM also occurs among Christians, animists and Jews.

Male genital mutilation isn't also being looked into? That's disappointing, I have my tongue in my cheek here but if that also isn't looked at it is a bit hypocritical to call a cultural custom wrong but one more widely accepted because of it's familiarity as right.

Male circumcision has proven health benefits and does not affect sexual performance like FGM does. Many men are circumcised for medical reasons as adults. The reason most doctors object to performing it routinely on babies is the same reason they object to pre-emptive appendectomies. Any kind of surgery carries risk, so doctors will generally prefer not to perform it unless necessary.

There is no medical benefit to FGM. It is performed purely to deny sexual pleasure to women. It is dangerous and can kill, let alone leaving many victims permanently disabled. The 2 procedures are simply not comparable.

It's a growing problem in Australia as a result of immigration from the Muslim countries in that map. Best to crack down on it now before it comes a major problem.
Pretty sure domestic violence in Australia isn't exclusive to muslims, and that historically support and prevention of domestic violence has improved since, say, the 30's. I would assume Muslim immigration has also increased since the 30's.

Islam is these peoples culture, so it's relevant to mention it. Lol at the part in bold.

863px-2013_Female_Genital_Mutilation_Cutting_Circumcision_FGM_World_Map_UNICEF.SVG.png
So? African is their race, gonna draw up any conclusions from that?

There are countless other factors to these backwards and disgusting practices that should and are being stamped out (the factors that is), but it is important not to single out Islam as an important factor (and just as important not to stereotype every single person in Africa as being culturally Muslim.) In any case it's always good to seperate extremists from everyone else in any group, because extremism always ruins everything for everyone in the scheme of things.

So it's >1% in Australia, not sure why the OP is comparing it to the issue of domestic violence here.
The OP is well known for his hatred and criticism of all things Muslim.
It is a shame as DV is a very serious issue occurring on a daily basis and I am pleased that both State and Federal Governments are doing something about it.
It would be good if we didn't view this as a single issue of FGM.

Even what might be termed "cultural violence" issues are different.

FGM is primarily a sub-Saharan African phenomenon, forced marriages come from a wider spread but especially strong in Pakistani immigrant communities.

Of course, I'm sure for some people saying "it's all Muslimz and they should be rounded up and forced to watch The Block continuously until they submit to our values" is more fun. Just doesn't display a lot of thinking ability.

Of course, I'm sure for some people saying "it's all Muslimz and they should be rounded up and forced to watch The Block continuously until they submit to our values" is more fun. Just doesn't display a lot of thinking ability.
That would just completely rob them of their intelligence.

:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure domestic violence in Australia isn't exclusive to muslims, and that historically support and prevention of domestic violence has improved since, say, the 30's. I would assume Muslim immigration has also increased since the 30's.
No one's saying it is. Women who come from cultures where being mistreated by their husbands is normal often aren't aware of the rights they have in Australia, this don't report it. As I said earlier, this was one of the reasons why the White Ribbon Day march was held in Muslim majority Lakemba, NSW, this year.

FGM is primarily a sub-Saharan African phenomenon, forced marriages come from a wider spread but especially strong in Pakistani immigrant communities.
It's not just forced marriages that are a problem with Pakistanis, it's the fact that they often marry their cousins and their children end up inbred. The UK already experience problems with this issue, due to their large Pakistani population. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-23183102

Ahh racism versus sexism, which 'ism' will win?! Victim versus victim, oppressed versus oppressed!

Feelgood V feelgood. Could be and old skool tv series.

The kind of heavyweight tussle one could expect from an ABC far left V not quite so far left version of political scruples.

Male genital mutilation isn't also being looked into? That's disappointing, I have my tongue in my cheek here but if that also isn't looked at it is a bit hypocritical to call a cultural custom wrong but one more widely accepted because of it's familiarity as right.

There are degrees of mutilation. Male circumcision is relatively minor. If you wanted to find real male genital mutilation you would need to look at our indigenous communities.

I'm sorry, but when does a slither of foreskin = a female clitoris?

One could argue that penile infections in ancient, and much less clean times could be avoided by male circumcision. It had a practical effect. Its become tradition, maybe even interwoven into religion as a good idea for the times....

I don't see any justification for removing such a large part of a womans natural sexuality in any practical or moral form.

I can't really understand why you guys are even arguing about this as just the fact that we are attempting to try & rid ourselves of these three despicable acts from our land should be a big universal thumbs up.

Why the heck do we try and make this a political/religious issue is beyond me.

I can't really understand why you guys are even arguing about this as just the fact that we are attempting to try & rid ourselves of these three despicable acts from our land should be a big universal thumbs up.

Why the heck do we try and make this a political/religious issue is beyond me.
Of course its a good thing to try and rid our society of.
Just as long as one keeps in mind that it can be used, by some, as a tool to demonize all 'muzys'.

Good on him.
As PM he is bound to finance the protection of half our population. Not really news worthy or even remotely his idea though.
$100,000,000 seems hardly enough though?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back