Abbott wants the Govt to be able to strip citizenship status

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Here.

So many questions.

Who will decide? What process will be in place? What crimes will trigger this process? What happens to those whose citizenship is stripped? What assurances does the public have that this law won't someday be extended to other crimes?

Or is this just bluster to get some of his more unthinking Liberal voters all frothed at the mouth, and the actual legislation proposed will be weak?

Earlier this year, Tony Abbott announced the Coalition would amend the Citizenship Act so that dual nationals could be stripped of their Australian citizenship if they have been promoting, supporting or taking part in terrorism.

The Coalition is looking to expand that plan to reach those with sole Australian citizenship.

"I'm not going to go into detail because we'll have more to say within a few days," Mr Abbott told reporters in Brisbane.

"People who are fighting with terrorist groups overseas or who are engaged in terrorist activities here in Australia are effectively taking up arms against us and it's very hard to imagine that we should allow to remain in the bosom of our country people who are trying to destroy us."

Do they get their money back for the test etc ?

why not take the vote of those poms who refuse to take out citizenship on principle ? oh thats right they're howards battlers.

I cant understand a bunch who refuse citizenship on principle, yet enjoy all the benefits, then cheer on a psycopath who wants to strip the same thing off other groups.

its a myth that the pre 1982 poms assymilated better than other ethnics

Well done Tony, you have my vote.
I just don't know why people who hate the west want to come here or why they stay like this arse wipe.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-...ding-sheik-omran/story-fnubfp6c-1227365820475
Australia’s most senior Salafist cleric says if he knew then what he does now, he wouldn’t have come at all. On a Saturday night in Coolaroo, an industrial northern Melbourne suburb where more people consider themselves Muslim than any other religion, the sheik speaks with disappointment, a tinge of bitterness and overwhelmingly a deep sense of dismay. He says he feels like a foreigner in his own country.

Try fitting in Mr Sheik Mohammed Omran instead of preaching hate and I'm sure you will be accepted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Tony, you have my vote.
I just don't know why people who hate the west want to come here or why they stay like this arse wipe.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-...ding-sheik-omran/story-fnubfp6c-1227365820475

Try fitting in Mr Sheik Mohammed Omran instead of preaching hate and I'm sure you will be accepted.

I dislike a lot about the west and I was born here, raised here, and have no intention of leaving...what would you like me to do? oh, I'm not Muslim or religiously affiliated but I am smart enough to realise that the Middle East problems are caused by the west and US meddling. We created this mess with our little foray into Iraq 12 years ago, now we have to go back and start again because nobody contemplated this would happen.

America has been around for a little over 200 years and has been at war for almost all of that time..that should tell you something!

err, because as crazy as it may sound a good deal of those being recruited are youth's who are easily brainwashed and do not realise the mistake they've made until it's too late. Let them face justice here, whatever that maybe, but I don't think slamming the door completely shut will solve the issue.

and bringing them back could provide agencies with a great deal of information.

oh, and the government is about to announce this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-25/government-to-announce-anti-terror-coordinator/6493614

ahh...Islam and terror, always a poll winner

Yay!! We now have a Minister for Counter Terrorism. Let's hope he does a better job than the Minister for Women.

we'd need to have some terrorism to counter for the counterterrorism minister to be useful, right?

I dislike a lot about the west and I was born here, raised here, and have no intention of leaving...what would you like me to do? oh, I'm not Muslim or religiously affiliated but I am smart enough to realise that the Middle East problems are caused by the west and US meddling. We created this mess with our little foray into Iraq 12 years ago, now we have to go back and start again because nobody contemplated this would happen.

America has been around for a little over 200 years and has been at war for almost all of that time..that should tell you something!

You have a short memory. The Middle East has been a hot spot since the collaspe of the Ottoman Empire. Perhaps you should read the bible, war been raging in Judea and Samaria for thousands of years.

You have a short memory. The Middle East has been a hot spot since the collaspe of the Ottoman Empire. Perhaps you should read the bible, war been raging in Judea and Samaria for thousands of years.

read the bible? the whole effing mess comes back to religion so why would I want to read the bible, Qu'ran or Torah for that matter?

Yeah, people who blame America for all the world's wrongs conveniently forget that other people are completely able to * things up for themselves without outside help.

Yeah, people who blame America for all the world's wrongs conveniently forget that other people are completely able to **** things up for themselves without outside help.

yeah..I seem to recall a Donald Rumsfeld being all chummy with a fellow named Saddam back in the early 80's when the US was backing their dirty war against Iran. USS Stark ring a bell, not much happened there either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back