Abolish the umpire bouncing the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

What the hell was Stuart Wenn doing today?

I think it was the third qtr - he bounces it in the middle, gives the Carlton ruckman NO CHANCE...Demon ruckman smashes it 30m forward.

These sort of bounces should be recalled, and the ball thrown up. This is not an isolated incident - it is becoming more and more common, they are not calling back bad bounces. Kreuzer was the benficiary of a woeful bounce against Collingwood earlier this season.

Hang on...they shouldn't be recalled at all.

There wouldn't be an issue if the AFL implemented the proper reforms that I called for in this thread some time ago.

Abolish the bounce entirely.

There is no logic in keeping it.

It is vital that they abolish it given they are now not calling back bounces which clearly favour one ruckman over the other; in some instances giving one ruckman absolutely no chance of contesting the ball and hitting it to their midfielder below.

It was part of a pathetic display from Wenn, Leppard and Mitchell today.

Random holding the balls, clear holding the ball decisions not paid. On and on and on.

If the ball goes offline, the umpires calls "play on" and anyone can contest. (It's been like this for a long time.)

Unfortunutely, not many players seems to take advantage of this in the modern game and treat it like a basketball tip-off.

All the same, Wenn has never been that good of a bouncer, despite being one of the most experienced umpires at there now.

Not only is Wenn's bouncing bad, but his umpiring too

Only 25 free kicks were paid, and there were a number of confusing umpiring decisions in what appeared to be a relaxing of the rules on player contact.
This prompted AFL great Leigh Matthews to suggest on 3AW during the second term that B-grade umpires were in charge. The field umpires were Stuart Wenn, Troy Pannell and former Saint Leigh Fisher.
You can forgive Fisher given he's inexperienced, but Pannell consistently makes baffling decisions....does he have a feel for the game? When did he take up the game/umpiring?

Once again.

This time it was the narcissistic amateur Ray Chamberlain.

Clearly quite a few of his bounces were skewed tonight and gave the other ruckman no chance.

The problem was the amateur did not call the bounce back.

Very simple solution.

Why are the AFL afraid of reform?

Forget about dinosaurs like Tim Lane and Bartlett - abolish the bounce and be done with it! No problem every contest; the ruckmen can be assured that they will get a fair crack at it.

Is it Chamberlain's ego? It would've hurt too much....on the big Friday night stage...to call it back and admit fault.

Interesting that - admit fault....ego ego ego ego ego

Leave it in you clinical sooks... throwing it up is for netball... id rather a supa goal then to go all clinical on something thats over 100 years of tradition... next thing you will want no bouncing while running or the whistle blown on an awkward bounce into the square... ban the bounce advocates are pussies... its unique...

Leave it in you clinical sooks... throwing it up is for netball... id rather a supa goal then to go all clinical on something thats over 100 years of tradition... next thing you will want no bouncing while running or the whistle blown on an awkward bounce into the square... ban the bounce advocates are pussies... its unique...

Being unique is the only thing going for it, which really amounts to nothing. Why should the umpire be required to display ball-handling skills in addition to decision-making? It can only weaken his decision-making abilities which to me is the A-1 reason for just throwing the ball up. One play is under way the ball can bounce any way it likes.

Being unique is the only thing going for it, which really amounts to nothing. Why should the umpire be required to display ball-handling skills in addition to decision-making? It can only weaken his decision-making abilities which to me is the A-1 reason for just throwing the ball up. One play is under way the ball can bounce any way it likes.

Because its his job... nek minit you will be banning the running bounce because it takes to much skill and concertration away from the already watered down code... i am truley shocked at the vlad theories some of you are toting... SOFT!

Use a unique ball bouncer etc etc but dont scrap the main traditional iconic part of the gamme ffs

Because its his job... nek minit you will be banning the running bounce because it takes to much skill and concertration away from the already watered down code... i am truley shocked at the vlad theories some of you are toting... SOFT!

Use a unique ball bouncer etc etc but dont scrap the main traditional iconic part of the gamme ffs

It's hardly the 'main traditional iconic part of the game', I mean it was once done all around the ground and hardly anyone has noticed the lack of it now it's gone, have they? Also, can you please explain at what point of the game the umpire takes a running bounce, coz I haven't seen it in all my years of watching footy. And finally , if the umpire didn't have to bounce the ball, then it wouldn't be his job anymore, that's kind of the point of the entire thread.

Apart from that, you make a good, solid (non)argument.

Could be the worst display of centre bouncing I've seen live tonight. Five recalled that I can remember but may have been more.

It's hardly the 'main traditional iconic part of the game',
I mean it was once done all around the ground and hardly anyone has noticed the lack of it now it's gone, have they? Also, can you please explain at what point of the game the umpire takes a running bounce, coz I haven't seen it in all my years of watching footy. And finally , if the umpire didn't have to bounce the ball, then it wouldn't be his job anymore, that's kind of the point of the entire thread.

Apart from that, you make a good, solid (non)argument.

Are you serious? After reading that i have to plead the old cliche of “Never try to argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience“

Obviously ur a little bit thick to gather the correlation of removing the spontaneity example but thats ok bruv....

How about i pose this to you... > standardizing the bounce of the ball at stoppages will become an advantage for the more skilled athletic ruckmen creating a much more stoppage prone game... we already see shitney do it and its uggggly... its already creeping into ur team lol... just leave it in ffs...

The first quarter WCE Ess and already they have recalled it a few times.

Just abolish it and be done with it!

Go ahead with the full reforms.

REFORM REFORM REFORM

Stop living with the dinosaurs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a look at the pathetic efforts of Chris Donlon in the first qtr of Richmond Fremantle.

Just no logical reason why it should be kept. Waste of energy. Quality umpires may miss out.

Appear to lose time off the clock.

2 minutes to go in the third qtr, McBurney bounces in the middle. Maric has a free tap, puts it down to the Richmond midfielder - ball goes inside 50 and a goal. Free centre clearance. Dreadful bounce which should have been recalled, a bounce which gave Fremantle no chance at all.

2 minutes to go in the third qtr, McBurney bounces in the middle. Maric has a free tap, puts it down to the Richmond midfielder - ball goes inside 50 and a goal. Free centre clearance. Dreadful bounce which should have been recalled, a bounce which gave Fremantle no chance at all.
What made it worse was the soft free that they paid to Vickery when the ball went forward. Makes it very frustrating when they back up a horrible call with another horrible call that then costs you a goal. Richmond were the better side but I was yelling at the TV at that stage.

Again a skewed bounce gifts Carlton a centre clearance, Carlton go inside 50 and kick a goal.

Not surprising it was McBurney who didn't call back the bounce - the way he talks in such a condescending manner to the players its clear his ego wouldn't allow him to admit he made a mistake. Terrible bounce.

Abolish the bounce and there is no issue!

Again in the NAB series we had lots of bounces being recalled.

I understand that lots of inexperienced/junior umpires were umpiring.

There may be many capable umpires who can't get a gig at AFL level all because they can't bounce the ball.

The AFL have started the reforms but they haven't finished them.

Umpires should be required to have one skill and one skill only - good decision making. Laughable that anyone could argue otherwise.

Imagine if the bounce had never existed and the AFL suddenly announced they were bringing it in and that they would sack every umpire who wasn't skilful enough, regardless of how good they were at their job. Everyone would rightly think it was the most ridiculous thing they'd ever heard.

Again in the NAB series we had lots of bounces being recalled.

I understand that lots of inexperienced/junior umpires were umpiring.

There may be many capable umpires who can't get a gig at AFL level all because they can't bounce the ball.

The AFL have started the reforms but they haven't finished them.
It's not a very large talent pool to fill. Some will just have to be content with being goal or boundary umpires.
Umpires should be required to have one skill and one skill only - good decision making. Laughable that anyone could argue otherwise.

Imagine if the bounce had never existed and the AFL suddenly announced they were bringing it in and that they would sack every umpire who wasn't skilful enough, regardless of how good they were at their job. Everyone would rightly think it was the most ridiculous thing they'd ever heard.
Imagine if the oval ball had never existed and the AFL suddenly announced they were bringing it in...etc.

Leave the game alone.

Imagine if the oval ball had never existed and the AFL suddenly announced they were bringing it in...etc.

Leave the game alone.

I don't think a fundamental aspect of the sport like the type of ball used is really analogous with an outdated and illogical quirk like the umpires being forced to learn a physical skill.

Everyone always says we're there to watch the players not the umpires, but then we insist on trying to train them to execute a trick with the ball like they're performing seals.

I don't see the need for the bounce - it's just a quirky feature of the game that has the potential to cause headaches if executed incorrectly. The recall rule just adds complexity to the feature, and there are the times the recall is not carried out when it should be. Throwing it up is quicker and the game gets underway with minimal fuss...

The concern that I've had for a while is that umpires generally don't get a chance any more to fine tune the skill. It's a skill that can be learned and practised - but when I had a shot at the AFL squad, I'd been bouncing the ball for about 7 years and it seemed natural then. Nowadays hardly any suburban / country leagues bounce the ball and younger umpires being nominated to the VFL have never been in a position of having to bounce. I know a few guys at VFL level who hadn't bounced a ball until they reached the VFL at which point they're supposed to be perfect with it.

It's not a very large talent pool to fill. Some will just have to be content with being goal or boundary umpires.
They're different streams. Field Umpires who don't make it don't just become Boundary/Goal Umpires. There are dedicated Goal and Boundary Umpire pathways. Actually, between Field, Boundary and Goal Umpires, required to handle 9 games a round, plus injury reserves and emergencies, they must have a squad at AFL level about the same size as two footy teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back