About time WA clubs used the go home factor

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Buddy used free agency but there was no go home factor. Vic clubs are sweating on Dangerfield, so its pleasing to see the WA clubs getting in for their chop.

All-Australian defender Alex Rance is the latest big man target in Fremantle’s now annual assault to win a ready-made key position replacement for veteran superstars Matthew Pavlich and Luke McPharlin.

Rance, out of contract with Richmond at the end of the season, continues to delay talks on a new deal, leaving the full-back open to approaches from Dockers management to consider a move back to his home state after six seasons and 107 games at the Tigers.

Jaeger O’Meara, Harley Bennell, David Swallow, Brandon Matera and Jack Martin at the Suns as well as Stephen Coniglio with Greater Western Sydney are all expected to be headhunted to return home.

Versatile Essendon duo Cale Hooker and Tayte Pears are others on the radar for tempting lures to return west along with Brisbane midfielder Daniel Rich and Hawthorn’s Bradley Hill.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...ers ready to raid the east&itmt=1421730063210

One football operations boss said contracts would not be a barrier after last season.

“You don’t worry about contracts, they mean nothing anymore,” he said.

That was evidenced at last year’s unsavoury trade period when a host of players still in contract switched clubs.

Good news if you are a Dockers or Eagles fan, but both need on field success to lure good players home.

Elliot freaking Yeo!

From a personal viewpoint I'd prefer the way the Eagles got Yeo was not repeated, defeats the purpose of the draft.

From an Eagles fan view, I'd like to see Rance follow his father into our colours given Murray captained the Eagles in 1989.

From a personal viewpoint I'd prefer the way the Eagles got Yeo was not repeated, defeats the purpose of the draft.

From an Eagles fan view, I'd like to see Rance follow his father into our colours given Murray captained the Eagles in 1989.
I don't really think the Eagles will chase him. If anything they may try and drive up his price a bit to force the Dockers to pay more but I think the Eagles will be busy chasing the likes of Coniglio or perhaps Rich to bolster their midfield. Those two I can see being more realistic in getting than an O'meara, Swallow or Martin but you never know I guess.

The good ol' 'go home factor'. What percentage of players head interstate and then return to their home state at a later point in their careers? I'd wager its an exceptionally small number.

In a vast majority of cases, players leave if they are not getting the opportunities they believe they deserve or the club is doing poorly on the field. Other factors, including the 'go home factor', are largely irrelevant and clubs would be silly to base their recruiting or trading strategies around such ideas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drafted, played two years, traded once out of contract...?

Tom Boyd was traded after one year while contracted, Beams, Christensen, Griffen etc. were contracted. 2014 was an ugly trade week.

If the Eagles traded Rance in, would they trade Brown out?

Jaeger O’Meara, Harley Bennell, David Swallow, Brandon Matera and Jack Martin at the Suns as well as Stephen Coniglio with Greater Western Sydney are all expected to be headhunted to return home.

They might be able to get more money at West Coast or Fremantle but as of now I think Gold Coast and GWS are a lot closer to winning flags so that might convince a lot of the above players to stay where they are.

If the Eagles traded Rance in, would they trade Brown out?

Bring in Rance as a FA. Rance won't cost WC picks or players, but will cost a chunk of salary cap.

Trade Brown for a 2nd round selection or, for an upgrade on WC's 2nd round selection - if it's not being used on a F/S selection or another trade.

Trade for Coniglio. This will at least involve WC's first round selection. If Coniglio has an ordinary year and/or is injured and misses a chunk of the year, and WC finish mid-table, WC may possibly only offer pick 8-10 to GWS. But, will WC grow a spine, stick to their guns and push this deal if Coniglio says he wants to join WC? Unlikely. Hence WC will more than likely pay more than they otherwise should've.

I don't think WC will get any of the lads from GC, and Rich will stay a Lion for life.

Bring in Rance as a FA. Rance won't cost WC picks or players, but will cost a chunk of salary cap.

Trade Brown for a 2nd round selection or, for an upgrade on WC's 2nd round selection - if it's not being used on a F/S selection or another trade.

Trade for Coniglio. This will at least involve WC's first round selection. If Coniglio has an ordinary year and/or is injured and misses a chunk of the year, and WC finish mid-table, WC may possibly only offer pick 8-10 to GWS. But, will WC grow a spine, stick to their guns and push this deal if Coniglio says he wants to join WC? Unlikely. Hence WC will more than likely pay more than they otherwise should've.

I don't think WC will get any of the lads from GC, and Rich will stay a Lion for life.

The point being the clubs need to actively promote themselves to the various managers involved. Liam Pickering was pro active for Tom Boyd knowing he was open to returning home yet happy at Sydney (my take on a conversation on the issue on Melbourne radio).

The point being the clubs need to actively promote themselves to the various managers involved. Liam Pickering was pro active for Tom Boyd knowing he was open to returning home yet happy at Sydney (my take on a conversation on the issue on Melbourne radio).

It's a fair point, but it's also one that should go without saying, as it should be standard operating procedure.

Can't see many high profile players leaving Melbourne after 8 years to go back to WA. Rance is married presumably to someone he met in Melbourne, his mother, father and sister have moved to Melbourne. Not much to go back too!

Good reasons for Rance to stay in Melbourne but it didnt stop Buddy going to Sydney.
The WA clubs need to be proactive just as the Eagles were chasing Tom Mitchell - thats the point, its not that home has attractions for some, some only.

Rance: is he hanging out for no reason?

If you guys offering Rance $10 million then you will probably get him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back