Opinion Academies and Father - Son draft changes

Should QLD and NSW teams have academies?

• Yes - they need help

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No - it is unfair

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
Jun 23, 2014
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
There are other teams?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-27/new-player-bidding-system-close

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-28/bidding-changes-kneejerk

I've linked the two articles above to highlight the proposed changes to the current system and also Greg Swann's (CEO Brisbane Lions) response to the proposed changes.

I agree with Greg Swann. Living in Brisbane I know how small the AFL pool is up here. Sure it is growing, but Rugby League and Union have a traditionally stronger pull and I know some juniors that have defected from AFL to Rugby because the competition is greater in Union and League even more so.

I think the interstate clubs should not receive any salary cap concessions, player retention concessions, CoLA or anything financial. However, if they fund an academy they should be able to draft directly from their academy pool as it is now regardless of the perceived talent available. This will keep the grass roots alive in competitive "foreign" markets like QLD and NSW as juniors can aspire through elite programs to graduate into their local team (GWS, Sydney, Brisbane or GCS).

If the academy is AFL funded then it should be open slather for all clubs. Clubs in VIC, SA and WA have such huge sway when recruiting because of the availability of young local players and rarely run into the "I want to go home" issue that floored Brisbane in 2013.

Sure it may produce the occasional draft "steal" like Isaac Heeney but that is no different from Joe Daniher, Gary Ablett Jr or even Darcy Moore via the father son rule, which I wouldn't change either.

Personally I feel a little embarrassed that Eddie, as the president of the biggest sporting club in Australia, is saying that it is unfair that other clubs invest money in a local academy to produce home grown talent. If Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton or Richmond can't attract local junior players to the club then there is something wrong at the club.

So we don’t have any Father/Sons this year and Not sure when are the Next.

Got Darcy in a Nick of Time - What would it cost us to get Moore under the New Rule?

If the academy is AFL funded then it should be open slather for all clubs. Clubs in VIC, SA and WA have such huge sway when recruiting because of the availability of young local players and rarely run into the "I want to go home" issue that floored Brisbane in 2013.

Though the Go Home Factor helped them in 2014

Personally I feel a little embarrassed that Eddie, as the president of the biggest sporting club in Australia, is saying that it is unfair that other clubs invest money in a local academy to produce home grown talent. If Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton or Richmond can't attract local junior players to the club then there is something wrong at the club.

Vic Clubs can’t get Juniors as we have no Academies for Southern State Sides

I think the academies should be AFL funded

and All Teams can put in Bids for Players.

NSW are use to have Scholarships from any club for the Juniors up there

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
So we don’t have any Father/Sons this year and Not sure when are the Next.

Got Darcy in a Nick of Time - What would it cost us to get Moore under the New Rule?

Not much, wasn't it pick 5 that nominated him and 8 used on him?

Not much, wasn't it pick 5 that nominated him and 8 used on him?

Close - Dogs put up Pick 4 for Moore and we Matched it with Pick 8 or in Offical Draft Order Pick 5 was put up and we put up Pick 9

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Close - Dogs put up Pick 4 for Moore and we Matched it with Pick 8 or in Offical Draft Order Pick 5 was put up and we put up Pick 9

Thought Brisbane had pick 4, that then turned to pick 5 which we used on De Goey:)

DERKADERRR

All Australian
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why can't we just bring back something similar to the NSW Scholarship Program in which every team had the opportunity to develop players from NSW, if they just changed it to both NSW and QLD I think that would be even better because firstly all teams get the chance at developing players and secondly you would probably see more players come through from those states. The idea of having the academies isn't what people find unfair, it's that those four teams are the only ones that can have them which pisses people off.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
They are looking to doing it live so we would of lost our Beams pick 5 comp to snare Darcy.

If it was live then wouldn't pick 6 nominated him?

Why can't we just bring back something similar to the NSW Scholarship Program in which every team had the opportunity to develop players from NSW, if they just changed it to both NSW and QLD I think that would be even better because firstly all teams get the chance at developing players and secondly you would probably see more players come through from those states. The idea of having the academies isn't what people find unfair, it's that those four teams are the only ones that can have them which pisses people off.

I loved that old System and I think it more Fair then the Academies as all teams have a Crack at these Kids and Developing Them

Jun 23, 2014
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Hmm....Maybe I should have changed the poll to:

Club funded (Like it is now) -
AFL funded (Open draft) -

Anyway I like the discussion here. Please keep it going as I'd love to hear from everyone. Explain why you voted yes or no so we can rehash this a few years when Daicos's boy is up for F/S and it costs us our first 3 draft picks to snare him.

morelli89

Team Captain
Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't mind the whole points system with the draft picks, But father-sons should have a bigger discount (like 40%) and then keep the academy players at 15-25%. Id rather the AFL run the academy's so everyone has access, but this way is atleast more fair than it is currently

Have been suggesting this since the academies started.
Give Syd/GWS/Suns/Bears the "choice" zones but set up zones for every other club. The clubs can then put time & money into them & may get a bonus in the future.

At least then we are really doing what the zones were intended for, promoting AFL, providing a different sport avenue for kids & improving the overall draft pool.

Anyone would think the way it's set up now it was just to give freebies to those particular teams.:rolleyes:

I don't believe that throwing the integrity of the competition out the window in order to 'grow' will get us anywhere, and I'm not convinced that there's any evidence to suggest that these academies have had a real impact.

What's the point in growing the competition if it's unfair and ingrained with corrupt political decisions? They need to find a way to legitimise this so that it doesn't laugh in the face of their ever growing commitment to equalisation, without throwing us 'reasons' that it should be done and ignoring the big picture.

Ricky90

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the academies absolutely must remain. In their current form? I'm not convinced.

I certainly don't like how Sydney picked up Heeney and Brisbane picked up (s**t, can't remember his name but he played for Aspley) - both good players, and were had for a bargain!

Anyway, it needs revision.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-27/new-player-bidding-system-close

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-28/bidding-changes-kneejerk

I've linked the two articles above to highlight the proposed changes to the current system and also Greg Swann's (CEO Brisbane Lions) response to the proposed changes.

I agree with Greg Swann. Living in Brisbane I know how small the AFL pool is up here. Sure it is growing, but Rugby League and Union have a traditionally stronger pull and I know some juniors that have defected from AFL to Rugby because the competition is greater in Union and League even more so.

I think the interstate clubs should not receive any salary cap concessions, player retention concessions, CoLA or anything financial. However, if they fund an academy they should be able to draft directly from their academy pool as it is now regardless of the perceived talent available. This will keep the grass roots alive in competitive "foreign" markets like QLD and NSW as juniors can aspire through elite programs to graduate into their local team (GWS, Sydney, Brisbane or GCS).

Sure it may produce the occasional draft "steal" like Isaac Heeney but that is no different from Joe Daniher, Gary Ablett Jr or even Darcy Moore via the father son rule, which I wouldn't change either.

I think you're missing the point. Vic/SA/WA clubs dont have the right to start their own academies, and if they did, they certainly wouldn't get draft concessions to draw from them.

Father/son picks are few and far between. A club might be lucky to get 2-3 good prospects in a decade. Sydney finished second, got the best mid in last years draft for pick 18, and they're likely to pick up two more this year who are also very highly rated, one via father/son.

I have little issue with the academy changes, as it forces the clubs to pay a fair price. I do think that the father/son discount should be more than the academy though, as it is a wonderful niche our game has that encourages the romance of having multiple generations play for the one club, and every single club has access to father/son picks sooner or later, whereas academy players come through every year.

Back