Academies - What would be considered a success?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some good points here ... But if you are gonna point to the feel good story of a boy from the bush getting an opportunity that he wouldn't otherwise had why is it acceptable for I dunno , 20,000 other square metres of Australian country bush towns to not be given the same opportunity from other afl clubs in other afl states? The point your making for Kennedy could be made for any states country towns. It's a kinda , pro all teams having an academy type of an argument. I get the feeling these expan teams would not at all agree to port and hawthorn having academies in their state and having first access to them at a discount , even if it meant a boy from the bush having a shot at playing football.

There are some good points here ... But if you are gonna point to the feel good story of a boy from the bush getting an opportunity that he wouldn't otherwise had why is it acceptable for I dunno , 20,000 other square metres of Australian country bush towns to not be given the same opportunity from other afl clubs in other afl states? The point your making for Kennedy could be made for any states country towns. It's a kinda , pro all teams having an academy type of an argument. I get the feeling these expan teams would not at all agree to port and hawthorn having academies in their state and having first access to them at a discount , even if it meant a boy from the bush having a shot at playing football.
Would love for academies to be all over the country

It's a rort. The idea of the draft is to ensure there is equalisation, a team on the bottom gets access to higher draft picks, that allows them to climb the ladder. Last night, Melbourne, which finished in the bottom 5, had a team in the Top 6 and one which had won a flag as recently as 2012, get a higher pick than Melbourne.

That defeats the purpose of the draft.

It's a rort. The idea of the draft is to ensure there is equalisation, a team on the bottom gets access to higher draft picks, that allows them to climb the ladder. Last night, Melbourne, which finished in the bottom 5, had a team in the Top 6 and one which had won a flag as recently as 2012, get a higher pick than Melbourne.
They wouldn't have been above you if you didn't bid

Against f/s as well?

Pretty easy to say when your clubs state is a heartland

Against f/s as well?

Father Son selections are available to Brisbane & Sydney. Father Son selections are a lot more random than academy kids, you first have to be lucky that someone that played 100 games for your club has a kid, then you can't put the organised training in them from 13 that academy players are exposed to. Comparing academy kids with father son kids is like comparing apples with oranges.

If you want a pure draft, every AFL club must have their own academy. You can't have some having academies and other clubs not, it is an AFL sanctioned rort.

Father Son selections are available to Brisbane & Sydney. Father Son selections are a lot more random than academy kids, you first have to be lucky that someone that played 100 games for your club has a kid, then you can't put the organised training in them from 13 that academy players are exposed to. Comparing academy kids with father son kids is like comparing apples with oranges.

If you want a pure draft, every AFL club must have their own academy. You can't have some having academies and other clubs not, it is an AFL sanctioned rort.

So thats a no.

Amusing

Melbourne, who has brought in plenty of Victorian players who wanted to move home? Same as pretty much any Victorian club? The academies are there for equalization, same as the draft. If it makes you feel better, just come to the realization that most of the academy kids wouldn't be getting taken anywhere near the top 10 without the academies - so it's like they never existed.

I would not call them a rort. Just a bit generous.

Annoying to see teams low on ladder get players rated below what teams are higher on the ladder are getting. The argument has been that these are players that would not have been highly rated if they had not been trained in the academy ,which I buy sometimes although in some cases I'm not sure that is a given and is a game of subjectivity and guesswork.

Would love to know how the expan clubs are raising the level of skill in their areas though...

While for gws and expan fans premierships might be the benchmark they rate their success on , if the Neafl is as s**t in ten years as it was this year I would say they are a failure. But I have different goals for what I want to see them achieve then what a fan might.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Against f/s as well?

That's actually irrelevant to the competition.

The AFL are doing it to give the northern clubs an advantage which will increase the ratings for the media which in turn increases the bonuses for the AFL execs.

Melbourne, who has brought in plenty of Victorian players who wanted to move home? Same as pretty much any Victorian club? The academies are there for equalization, same as the draft. If it makes you feel better, just come to the realization that most of the academy kids wouldn't be getting taken anywhere near the top 10 without the academies - so it's like they never existed.

Explain to me why a club like Sydney needs equalization?

I have no problem with GWS and GCS getting an academy, in fact I've completely changed my mind and I support it. Brisbane though is a bit too much but Sydney, fmd. It's just a blatant rort that they have one and have been able to get kids like Heeney and Mills cheaply.

Explain to me why a club like Sydney needs equalization?

Pass.

They need to be a bit more incompetent from time to time to stop the knee jerk reactions against them.

That's actually irrelevant to the competition.

The AFL are doing it to give the northern clubs an advantage which will increase the ratings for the media which in turn increases the bonuses for the AFL execs.
Not saying your wrong but you know this how exactly?

Just to add it isnt irrelevant. Go home factor is huge. Swans will feel it now cola is gone and they are heading South on the ladder.

Last edited:
Not saying your wrong but you know this how exactly?

Just to add it isnt irrelevant. Go home factor is huge. Swans will feel it now cola is gone and they are heading South on the ladder.

LOL, the Swans, good one. I'm all for GWS and GCS getting one, at least until they can start producing f/s kids but Sydney is a joke and a rort.

LOL, the Swans, good one. I'm all for GWS and GCS getting one, at least until they can start producing f/s kids but Sydney is a joke and a rort.
Meh. Dont really care if they have one.

Im only concerned with my own club.

Edit. Just a question though.
I keep getting told f/s is different everytime i bring it up when talking about legal draft tampering. Yet here we are being told that academies shouldnt be there for the lions and swans due to f/s.... weird.

The academies strengthen the other clubs too. With GWS, Sydney, and Brisbane not picking from the open draft in the top 30-35 (with the exception of Schache) it means that the other clubs get to take the players GWS would have taken at 10, etc. The question is whether or not the benefit to academy clubs v other clubs is proportionate, which of course it is not. Getting rid of the academies would weaken the whole comp.

Meh. Dont really care if they have one.

Im only concerned with my own club.

Edit. Just a question though.
I keep getting told f/s is different everytime i bring it up when talking about legal draft tampering. Yet here we are being told that academies shouldnt be there for the lions and swans due to f/s.... weird.

Well simply because of how f/s and academies work they are different, that's obvious. They can end up with the same result, which is obtaining kids outside of the normal channels. IS it fair that a club like Sydney can pick up arguably the best kid in the draft two years in a row very, very cheaply? I think not. was it fair that Brisbane was able to obtain Jon Brown was a f/s selection because of how the VFL killed Fitzroy? I think not. Personally I would abolish the lot, f/s and academies. Or failing that give every club who wants one an academy, but I see do the sense in giving GWS and GCS one right now.

Grow the game and all that.

Well simply because of how f/s and academies work they are different, that's obvious. They can end up with the same result, which is obtaining kids outside of the normal channels. IS it fair that a club like Sydney can pick up arguably the best kid in the draft two years in a row very, very cheaply? I think not. was it fair that Brisbane was able to obtain Jon Brown was a f/s selection because of how the VFL killed Fitzroy? I think not. Personally I would abolish the lot, f/s and academies. Or failing that give every club who wants one an academy, but I see do the sense in giving GWS and GCS one right now.

Grow the game and all that.
Is it fair that the northern clubs have mostly interstate players? Risk of go home etc

Im not saying its not just the way it is. But surely something like this just helps balance the ledger.

Is it fair that the northern clubs have mostly interstate players? Risk of go home etc

Im not saying its not just the way it is. But surely something like this just helps balance the ledger.

Is it fair that a successful club like Sydney gets all these advantages after recently winning a premiership?

That game can be played all day but how exactly does Sydney suffer? They generally don't lose players they want to keep, at least compared to the normal rate of movement, that have proven to be able to attract the most elite talent, recent success, financially strong. What part of the ledger needs to be balanced?

I keep going back to Sydney because you stated 'the northern clubs'. I have no issue with GWS and GCS getting something significant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back