Academy Watch

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How many academy spots will we have left on our rookie list? Michael won't be there next year leaving Bourke and Smith.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How many academy spots will we have left on our rookie list? Michael won't be there next year leaving Bourke and Smith.

Rookie List (currently - 3 category A players, 3 category B players)
40. Isaac Conway
43. Nick Hayes
47. Zac O'Brien
44. Archie Smith (category B - QLD zone)
45. Jordan Bourke (category B - QLD zone)
46. Sam Michael (category B - QLD zone)
1 category A position vacant

TheRustyFist

Rookie
Mar 23, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
So Bourke gets upgraded and Michael delisted and we now have 3 spots available?

I think it's a little early in the season to be calling delistings. From what I can see Michael is still progressing along nicely. I wouldn't think that he's made it just yet, but if he recovers from this hamstring injury nicely and strings a few good games together, he'd be pushing for a spot in our 22, so I don't see why we'd be delisting him.

Long season ahead.

Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GSW (NBA), Maroons, QLD Bulls
Last edited:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it's a little early in the season to be calling delistings. From what I can see Michael is still progressing along nicely. I wouldn't think that he's made it just yet, but if he recovers from this hamstring injury nicely and strings a few good games together, he'd be pushing for a spot in our 22, so I don't see why we'd be delisting him.

Long season ahead.

It's Michael's 3rd year on the rookie list so he can no longer be on the rookie list after this year. Nobody is saying he'll be delisted but whether or not he does get delisted he won't be a rookie next year.

Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
It's Michael's 3rd year on the rookie list so he can no longer be on the rookie list after this year. Nobody is saying he'll be delisted but whether or not he does get delisted he won't be a rookie next year.

You can be re-rookied though correct ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
99.99% you can't spend more than 3 years in a row on the rookie list of the same club.

I thought you could but you have to go back through the rookie draft. This would be unlikely though as after 3 years players would have their papers stamped.

I thought you could but you have to go back through the rookie draft. This would be unlikely though as after 3 years players would have their papers stamped.

You can be re-rookied though correct ?

Jackess is spot on. Maximum of three years on the rookie list, after which it's promote or delist. You're thinking of the old system, where it was technically a maximum of two, but you could list them for a third year if they went through the draft again.

Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fair enough.

So anyone going to the u18's game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Fair enough.

So anyone going to the u18's game?

Wish I was. Was Clayton named for Sandringham?

Interested in how he and Roos go if so, and the academy boys too obviously.

Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
No Clayton wasn't named. Hope he's injured and not dropped. Roos is named though. Would also be interested to see Brayshaw as he has pretty big raps as a potential 1st rounder. Game is at Bond uni on GC. If it was in Melbs I would go for sure.

Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Yeah pity it wasn't in Bris

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sandy beat Qld comfortably. All Lions academy boys named in the best + Weller. Üebergang with another 2 goals

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v5/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=4138&pg=1&a=MR

Uebergang should have kicked 4 or 5. Missed a couple of easy shots. But he was very impressive.

I went to the game. The Queensland boys generally competed well. But they'd run themselves into trouble and allow Sandringham to get easy goals.

Was pretty happy with how our academy boys competed. I didn't see much of Hammelmann.

Did anyone else go to the game?

I certainly think playing games against the TAC Cup sides will really help these boys with their development.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Uebergang should have kicked 4 or 5. Missed a couple of easy shots. But he was very impressive.

I went to the game. The Queensland boys generally competed well. But they'd run themselves into trouble and allow Sandringham to get easy goals.

Was pretty happy with how our academy boys competed. I didn't see much of Hammelmann.

Did anyone else go to the game?

I certainly think playing games against the TAC Cup sides will really help these boys with their development.

I heard Hammellmann was really down on form, maybe carrying an injury?

Any individual standouts? Also heard Nick Jackson was very good holding Harry Dear despite him being in their best

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I heard Hammellmann was really down on form, maybe carrying an injury?

Any individual standouts? Also heard Nick Jackson was very good holding Harry Dear despite him being in their best

Not sure what the go with Hammelmann was. Not sure how he had gone in the previous TAC Cup matches either.

Uebergang was easily our best imo. Sounds like he has done well in other matches too.

Jackson done pretty good. From memory I think he was only on Dear for a half.

Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
What position does Uebergang play? I think his name has potential.

Üebergang is Kpf prospect - around the 194cm mark I think.

Qld has only played one other game against Oakleigh. Hammelmann and Dawson didn't play in that game as they were away with the Ais squad. Üebergang kicked 2 goals and was named in our best in that game also.

Back