Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

We were the frontier devil club in the early 2000s and Sydney are playing that role now.

Now with four frontier expansion teams it is mathematically probably that at any one time at least one of them will doing well. That club will be always used as the example of why frontier clubs don't need any assistance and the frontier clubs battling to get off the bottom (hard enough already without the unique challenges we face) will be permanently hamstrung.

That is... until we get AFL leadership with real vision that doesn't bow to the powerful elites. Early signs with Gil aren't good. Maybe the next guy will "get it"... see you all in 10 years.

Ross Oakley is not popular around these parts, and with good reason, but you couldn't accuse him of being blind to the challenges of a truly national code.

Yep, so basically the revised academy will mean we will basically never be able to get a bargain or "slider" from our region ever again.

Or I guess, we just don't nominate the QLD kid and hope to still pick him at the pick we rate him, if that would even be allowed under the AFL's new rules...which again begs the question, what is the point of any academies.

Or I guess, we just don't nominate the QLD kid and hope to still pick him at the pick we rate him, if that would even be allowed under the AFL's new rules.

"We've given these clubs these academies and they aren't even bidding on the players! So much for them wanting to develop footy in their states!"

Bank on hearing s**t like that.

Yep, so basically the revised academy will mean we will basically never be able to get a bargain or "slider" from our region ever again.

Meanwhile VIC, SA and WA clubs will continue to get bargains from their areas every year. We'd probably be better off without academies to be honest.

Yep, if the AFL does us over on this I reckon we just step away and let the AFL run/ fund the academy if wants one.

What would be in it for us to stay involved? It would be counter- productive, in reality.

If changes are brought in this season, before the results of the various academy crops can even be gauged to at least some extent, it will be beyond belief.

On second thoughts, it would be totally believable...

Would be nice to have a ceo and strong chairman around with all this going down
How would this make a difference? Are we Collingwood or Hawthorn or whoever else whinges and whines in Vic? It's a joke in all honesty. The AFL has a real problem on their hands here and they better wake up to it. Free agency is a joke, the draw is a joke, there's so many rules and changes now it doesn't look even look like it did 10 yrs ago, match review panel is a joke. I think there is a theme here!

Or I guess, we just don't nominate the QLD kid and hope to still pick him at the pick we rate him, if that would even be allowed under the AFL's new rules...which again begs the question, what is the point of any academies.

I think we would have the option in that case on not matching the assessment and punt on them being available later.

My question with these mooted changes is will the panel essentially do their own mock draft and come up with a value for every player, or will they only rate the player in question, because I can't see how you can reach a value unless you know the value of every other kid.

The point that really pisses me off is that these academies have been set up to convince kids that they'll be able to play footy in their home states and keep them from playing for the broncos or reds.

I think we would have the option in that case on not matching the assessment and punt on them being available later.

According to one of the news articles or theories the assessment would only take place after someone else had put a bid in on the kid. In that theory, the kid would be stuck going to whoever bid on him.

I say we should adopt a Spanish training method for our kids. That is their final year should be spent improving skills and getting their body ready for AFL football and they will not play any games. The Qld team would just be made up of the bottom agers (maybe not the good ones).

My read of what Barrett is suggesting - the other teams still hid and the panel works out if based on where the teams are picking whether additional picks will be required. Does it also mean that if we have two good players we will only be able to take one? Probably given all this happens before trading it probably would mean that would be the case. I could probably live having to pay more but missing out on players we develop all together would suck.

We put over a million a year into this. No way it is worth that. If they make the change the AFL should be funding the whole lot and not looking to the clubs at all.

Meanwhile VIC, SA and WA clubs will continue to get bargains from their areas every year. We'd probably be better off without academies to be honest.

Yep - but at least we'll still get unfettered access to being bent over a barrel by the VIC, SA & WA clubs whenever some kid gets a sudden case of 'homesickness'. :rolleyes:

Something tells me that part of the equation won't get addressed any time soon. I mean they bleat on about fairness for all.... but only as it suits them.

Yeah, i think dlanod is on the right track there. I don't think going into a draft, they will have a value on a player. More so, whoever bids the highest pick, that will be given as their true value, and they will determine some way for the club to make up the difference. The problem I have, is that it is impossible to combine a couple of draft picks and say a draftee is worth the equivalent.

As has been pointed out, with F/S and the academies, it is nice that these kids can play for their family club, or the local club which brought them to AFL. The academies are developing more talent, and by the northern clubs taking local talent, it has the side effect of leaving more talent in the draft pool from the tradition states. The facts show how many QLD/NSW kids are taken each year, barely anything, and letting us better develop these players and getting first rights on them only enhances the available draft pool each year. It also helps to solve the go home factor. I really can't understand how something as simple as this is being overlooked, simply trying to chase getting clubs to pay 'true value' for a pick.

Let's hope then that the general theory that Queensland kids are sub-standard is upheld by the panel, which one would assume will (as with everything else in the AFL) be Vic-based.

As long as we continue to play Div 2 in the champs our kids will always be viewed with scepticism, or as inferior, so a panel assessment system might not work much differently if it is brought in.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just about developing talent for drafts it's also about getting more people from different sporting backgrounds to come play our game. As I have previously shared with everyone here I know half a dozen people who quit high level rugby union and league (one had a cowboys contract) after being invited to train in the academy and deciding to go to improve their fitness. They fell in love with the game and are all still playing afl and not even at qafl or neafl level. I reckon two maybe 3 had the talent to make it at union or league but the academy helped them discover afl and fall in love with it. Yeah the developing talent and getting them before other clubs is nice. But getting more people involved in afl and therefore helping abolish the gayfl stereotype that existed when I first started playing afl is IMO the greatest benefit of the academy. Man I haven't heard anyone call afl gayfl in at least 4 years now. And that was almost weekly.

I just can't believe they are going to rush this through for this year. I knew the whining would cause the benefits, such as they are, to be reduced but to do it after one season of the bidding system. A bidding system that I don't remember any one at all complaining about last year.

Sydney have accidentally shafted us by having the first top quality academy prospect as well as pissing off Eddie with the cola recruits. At least when we got shafted by the AFL in our premiership years, it was because Eddie hated us winning. Now we're collateral damage.

I just can't believe they are going to rush this through for this year. I knew the whining would cause the benefits, such as they are, to be reduced but to do it after one season of the bidding system. A bidding system that I don't remember any one at all complaining about last year.

Sydney have accidentally shafted us by having the first top quality academy prospect as well as pissing off Eddie with the cola recruits. At least when we got shafted by the AFL in our premiership years, it was because Eddie hated us winning. Now we're collateral damage.

Well put.

I'm just gobsmacked by it all. I sat in absolute astonishment watching TAC Future Stars this morning at the panel's absolute naivety of the reason why academies were set up in the first place. And these people are all involved in the game at a high level and are professionals and this is the attitude of people which is pretty much the representation of the decision making types at city hall.

The game is well and truly run by a pack of effing morons.

That's prospects...Isaac Heeney and Abe Davis this year.....Next year..Callum Mills and Father/Son prospect Josh Dunkley....

That's prospects...Isaac Heeney and Abe Davis this year.....Next year..Callum Mills and Father/Son prospect Josh Dunkley....

Really it's only Heeney. People (Eddites) are pissed off about Sydney winning a premiership and then bringing in Tippett and then Franklin as well, so they got them stripped of COLA. Now they get a "free hit" on an academy kid - strip them of that too!

Davis doesn't even get mentioned this year, and next year is barely mentioned unless it's to build a case for this dicking that's going on at the moment.

I can see it affecting list turnover too. Either you have to make savage cuts to the list before the trade period to make sure you have enough rounds worth of picks to trade arbitrarily as you are unsure whether you need two picks for every academy player/father son you want to draft, or you are caught with an oversized list in trade week that takes away your bargaining power.

A lot more uncertainty, free agents being shaken loose, and yet again undesirable clubs being shafted at the trade table is all I can see coming from a system like this.

So now I wonder, do we just let these kids get drafted by whoever, then after two years they can get homesick and come home for a song? If I was in Sydney's spot, I'd seriously weigh that up.

So now I wonder, do we just let these kids get drafted by whoever, then after two years they can get homesick and come home for a song? If I was in Sydney's spot, I'd seriously weigh that up.
Maybe when Collingwood gets screwed in such a situation homesickness will finally be addressed.

Maybe when Collingwood gets screwed in such a situation homesickness will finally be addressed.

That's what I was thinking. Two months before Heeney's two years were up, look for the establishment of the 'draftee fair trade value panel'.

Still, I can't think of a way the league (read: Ed) could have it both ways here. Either we would now get to cash in on the same homesickness play, or the league would have to do something to make it easier for clubs to retain their draftees or get fair value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back