Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Academy Facebook page:

Brisbane Lions Academy

Friday at 19:28 · Edited ·

Tough day at the office for our u18 boys this arvo outplayed by a slick Sydney Swans Academy.

Final score was Swans 13.3.81 def. Lions 3.8.26

Goals: Isaiah Edwards 1, Corey Wagner 1, Reuben William 1.
Best: Corey Wagner, Daniel Henderson, Ben Keays, Isaiah Edwards.

From the Academy Facebook page:

Brisbane Lions Academy

Friday at 19:28 · Edited ·

Tough day at the office for our u18 boys this arvo outplayed by a slick Sydney Swans Academy.

Final score was Swans 13.3.81 def. Lions 3.8.26

Goals: Isaiah Edwards 1, Corey Wagner 1, Reuben William 1.
Best: Corey Wagner, Daniel Henderson, Ben Keays, Isaiah Edwards.

Thanks a lot. Just found out about the Swans academy have a facebook page as well so I checked that out as there was no information about the game on the Swans website.

I hope you guys manage to draft a few players from your academy every season. The more players from NSW and QLD in the AFL the better. Also makes Eddie's head go even more red with anger which is always fun.

What age does the Academy take in kids. I imagine Shane Woewodin's son who is playing under 12s this year would be on the radar, although we'll have to fend off the Dees for his services. My son's team played against his at Coorparoo and he's certainly got some of his Dad's talent.

What age does the Academy take in kids. I imagine Shane Woewodin's son who is playing under 12s this year would be on the radar, although we'll have to fend off the Dees for his services. My son's team played against his at Coorparoo and he's certainly got some of his Dad's talent.

I read an article of a kid who holds the record as the youngest academy kid. At just 11 years and 200 something days. He was from the Sunshine coast.

The u12s State carnival is in Toowoomba this year. Don't know if you may have the opportunity to have a look at some of the games? 3 or 4 day carnival I think. Gold park, and perhaps another field will be used.

Around under 12's is when you start getting noticed, but there is a lot to go right between then and senior footy.

Is it the 2000 Woewodin or the 2005 Woewodin though?

Last years u12s carnival at Townsville, an 11yo kid named Austin Harris was a standout. IMO he missed out on QLD selection due to a very aggressive, even violent tag being put on him. Austin found it confronting and didn't play well. He was chosen in the QLD country side to play one of the coasts teams in the last game of the tournament. The tag did a good job as far as tagging goes, but in u12s footy I think it was disgraceful. He was getting elbows, shirt fronted, pushed etc the whole bit off the ball.

This year should see him as a real standout.

Last years u12s carnival at Townsville, an 11yo kid named Austin Harris was a standout. IMO he missed out on QLD selection due to a very aggressive, even violent tag being put on him. Austin found it confronting and didn't play well. He was chosen in the QLD country side to play one of the coasts teams in the last game of the tournament. The tag did a good job as far as tagging goes, but in u12s footy I think it was disgraceful. He was getting elbows, shirt fronted, pushed etc the whole bit off the ball.

This year should see him as a real standout.
Ive seen kids tagged in under 8's. If he is that good though he will learn from last year though.

I remember our team tagging in year 6 and 7 at school. No dirty off the ball stuff though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember our team tagging in year 6 and 7 at school. No dirty off the ball stuff though.
In some instances, especially for kids who dont know the game very well, tagging the better players takes them to the ball. They learn were to run quicker than you telling them in training etc. But you need to keep the crap out of the game. Kids should play footy because it is fun.

I realise its a part of the game. But the violence of the tag was disgraceful. There were parents from Cairns (where he comes from) in tears in the grandstand. It was an ugly thing to watch, if that is what you were watching. Following in the play you didn't see it. But watching Austin off the ball and the rubbish dished out to him was atrocious.

Some of the cowardly stuff in AFL gets me pretty angry, and that's where kids get their que. Id much rather see an occasional toe to toe punch up than the continual cowardly elbows and punches while holding guernseys, etc. Why you can punch someone in the body or elbow them, and punch someone while holding their Guernsey, or push them around is mind boggling.

In some instances, especially for kids who dont know the game very well, tagging the better players takes them to the ball. They learn were to run quicker than you telling them in training etc. But you need to keep the crap out of the game. Kids should play footy because it is fun.
It's not only kids but I've given instructions to adults to play man on man (not tag) and state that they will take you to the ball and to utilise that as an opportunity to get their hands on it and not to negate.

Anyone going to the u18s Suns vs Lions on the GC today?

Like to know how a young Lion goes. 198cm forward, Wylie Buzza. Big mop of Curly hair. A clone of the big kid for North Melbourne. Uncanny resemblance... Wylies Dad worked down in Melbourne 20 something years ago......mmmmm....

Wylie in action for Mt Gravatt last season. More 'chiselled' this season apparently.

I realise its a part of the game. But the violence of the tag was disgraceful. There were parents from Cairns (where he comes from) in tears in the grandstand. It was an ugly thing to watch, if that is what you were watching. Following in the play you didn't see it. But watching Austin off the ball and the rubbish dished out to him was atrocious.

Some of the cowardly stuff in AFL gets me pretty angry, and that's where kids get their que. Id much rather see an occasional toe to toe punch up than the continual cowardly elbows and punches while holding guernseys, etc. Why you can punch someone in the body or elbow them, and punch someone while holding their Guernsey, or push them around is mind boggling.

Which teams were doing this tagging?

I was at that carnival but don't remember Peninsula playing any of the Brisbane teams.

Which teams were doing this tagging?

I was at that carnival but don't remember Peninsula playing any of the Brisbane teams.
No, Austin was playing for QLD Country in the last game against a coast side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back