Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

THERE is never a lot of expectation of a 16-year-old playing his first senior game, let alone as a top-up player for an AFL club at NEAFL level.

But young Queenslander Jack Rolls not only showed he is up to the task, but impressed so greatly for the Brisbane Lions he was awarded the Round 2 Rising Star nomination.

The Morningside junior and member of the Brisbane Lions Academy was given the opportunity to play his first senior game as a top-up player for the Lions against Redland on Saturday, where he stood up well with 17 disposals as a running defender.

Rolls was identified for his potential as a 14-year-old and began training with the Brisbane Academy last year.

Lions Academy Manager, Luke Curran, said it was pleasing to see the young talent make a seamless transition into senior football.

“Normally in their first game we don’t expect too much, we just tell them to go out there and enjoy it and get used to senior footy,” he said.

“But to Jack’s credit he wasn’t over-awed by it and adapted really well and played some really good footy.

“He has worked hard over the summer with our Queensland Under-18 squad. His fitness is at a really high level and he has really worked on his body strength, so he handled the adjustment from junior footy to senior footy really well physically.

“But his decision making, his composure and his skills were really good on the weekend and that was probably one of the better games I have seen him play over the last 12-18 months.

“It’s a great benefit for our Academy program for one of our boys to be able do that.”

Rolls stood out for Queensland at the National Under-16 Championships in 2014 and will make the step up to Under-18 level this year.

He will feature in Queensland’s side to play the Dandenong Stingrays in their TAC Cup clash at Tidbold Park on Saturday before continuing his development through the Academy and NEAFL with Brisbane.

“I spoke to him after the game and he was really pleased with how he played and he really enjoyed playing at that level, so I think it’s given him a lot of confidence now and hopefully he can continue to play some good footy with the QLD team this year but also at NEAFL level,” Curran said.

“He is one of our better runners from an endurance point of view, and has a lot of things that tick a lot of boxes at the moment.

“I think he is starting to realise now that he can play some good footy and hopefully he has that motivation now to really put on a good show and prove himself over the next 12-18 months and give himself a shot at being drafted.”

The Rising Star is awarded to the most promising young talent in the NEAFL competition. Nominees must be under the age of 21 and played less than 20 NEAFL games.

Not a religious academy follower but like most Lions' fans have an eye out for those we might be interested in drafting. This is the first time I've seen Jack's name come up, is he a late bloomer? Sounds like a decent prospect nonetheless!

Late bloomer? 16 years old playing NEAFL seniors.

Badly phrased. Maybe 'is he a bolter in terms of development?' In past years there has been a few who have been on the radar for some time. This is the first I've heard of Rolls

Jack's father is a mate of mine, so I'm pretty familiar with his progress but haven't seen him play. He's doing senior at Villanova this year, excels at cricket and cross-country as well, bit of a natural sportsman.

Apparently he's highly regarded within the Academy, but no doubt the best guide to his long term prospects will be his performances as an under-ager in the Under 18 nationals (assuming he makes the team).

I think that it's great that we are adding another name to at least talk about. 2years is along time and he might develop into a nice prospect or not but at least he's putting his hand up with performances like this, especially as a 17year old.

Jack's father is a mate of mine, so I'm pretty familiar with his progress but haven't seen him play. He's doing senior at Villanova this year, excels at cricket and cross-country as well, bit of a natural sportsman.

Apparently he's highly regarded within the Academy, but no doubt the best guide to his long term prospects will be his performances as an under-ager in the Under 18 nationals (assuming he makes the team).

And I forgot to mention that, apparently, Jack did a 16.4 (or something ridiculous like that) beep test last year, an Academy record, so he certainly has the tank for league football.

There is an interview with Fletcher after the Vic Country game from last weekend on the AFLQ website. Not a great deal in it but the two guys he does mention were Lions. Wagner the standout apparently. They played him inside for the first time and he did really well finding his own ball. He also got outside well and delivered into forward 50 nicely. All nice things said about Wagner. Gareth Hunt the other one to get a mention playing in defence. Not a lot said there but he was a rock according to Fletch.

Keays and Hipwood to come back for the game this weekend against the Dandy Stingrays at Redlands. Anyone looking for something to do on ANZAC day could head out there and have a look. Any reports I am sure would be greatly appreciated.

One example that impressed me about the Hammer was in the final v the Hornets a couple of seasons back when that grumpy old man, our one and only Bushy, tried to ruffle the young fella with a bit of solid body on body, not necessarily when the ball was anywhere about.

Just brushed him, did the Hammer. Most impressive.

Glad to see Hammelman improving this year. Was wondering if Keays played yesterday vs the stingrays and if so how he went if anyone knows?

Glad to see Hammelman improving this year. Was wondering if Keays played yesterday vs the stingrays and if so how he went if anyone knows?

He did, and by reports he had 30+ touches but interestingly was not named in the best. Wagner named BOG for QLD which is a great sign. He has flown under the radar a bit young Wagner in recent times, will be interesting to see if he can start stamping his authority, he is a terrific young player and I have always rated him highly. Just needs to win a bit more footy, so damaging when he has it in his hands.

He did, and by reports he had 30+ touches but interestingly was not named in the best. Wagner named BOG for QLD which is a great sign. He has flown under the radar a bit young Wagner in recent times, will be interesting to see if he can start stamping his authority, he is a terrific young player and I have always rated him highly. Just needs to win a bit more footy, so damaging when he has it in his hands.
Thanks for that, 30+ really? Yeah that is an interesting one about not being named in the bests. I think I've heard Wagner a couple of times already this year which is good. If you were at the game what did you think of Weitering? Did see he was named in their bests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for going onto your board like this but I think Brisbane might have an interesting dilemma when it comes to Keays. For arguments sake lets say you finish last (I hope you don't but it is a possibility).

The easy solution is

Bid pick 1 for Keays. 3000 points - 750 points = 2250 points. That means you get 750 free points so you will be given pick 26.

However, if Brisbane don't bid pick 1 on Keays you could wait for another team to bid and then use your other picks. For instance if someone bid pick 5 on Keays that is

1878 points - 25% = 1408 points

Assuming you finish last that will mean

pick 19 - 948 points
pick 37 - 483 points

= 1431 points and in compensation you will get pick 72

That will mean you could keep pick 1 and get Keays.

Sorry for going onto your board like this but I think Brisbane might have an interesting dilemma when it comes to Keays. For arguments sake lets say you finish last (I hope you don't but it is a possibility).

The easy solution is

Bid pick 1 for Keays. 3000 points - 750 points = 2250 points. That means you get 750 free points so you will be given pick 26.

However, if Brisbane don't bid pick 1 on Keays you could wait for another team to bid and then use your other picks. For instance if someone bid pick 5 on Keays that is

pick 19 - 948 points
pick 37 - 483 points

Brisbane don't bid on academy players. They respond to other bids. And I don't believe you have the option of matching a bid with a pick higher than the pick that was bid by an opponent.

So if someone bids pick 2, we can't reply with pick 1, even if we wanted to.

Not that any of this is likely.

Thanks for that, 30+ really? Yeah that is an interesting one about not being named in the bests. I think I've heard Wagner a couple of times already this year which is good. If you were at the game what did you think of Weitering? Did see he was named in their bests.

I wasn't at the game, have heard all of this second hand, I did notice that Weitering started down back, however I think it would be hard to guage his performance given that Qld's forward line is quite average (Hipwood being raw, the rest unremarkable)

The easy solution is

pick 19 - 948 points
pick 37 - 483 points

Ironmonger nailed the major problems:

- We don't bid on Keays.
- If we get pick 1, the best that he can be bid as is pick 2 because we won't bid on him.
- If he has pick 2 bid on him, the picks that can be used to match are later picks as we'd have already used pick 1.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-27/new-player-bidding-system-close

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/biddingsystemfeedback.pdf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back