Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Bottom aged kids often are quiet in their first champs. Rolls didn't get a heap of it but there were enough glimpses there for me. Playing as a small defender I thought his run from behind was pretty good and his delivery into the forward 50 was excellent. He delivered quite a few low pin point passes which I loved to see. If he ups his production (which would be natural against his own aged group) and maintains the quality of his disposal I see him as being very draftable.

An elite runner with top shelf kicking skills. I am putting my hand up to take him.

Qld win the Div 2 Champs even with a couple of the Australian under 15s from last year out. Ballenden was named the best in the two final games and was named as Qld best.

I did not see any of the games so I can't say who looks like a prospect. But Ballenden as a ruck who can go forward sounds handy.

Qld win the Div 2 Champs even with a couple of the Australian under 15s from last year out. Ballenden was named the best in the two final games and was named as Qld best.

I did not see any of the games so I can't say who looks like a prospect. But Ballenden as a ruck who can go forward sounds handy.

Like Jack Clayton, who made U15 Australian teams in AFL and cricket list year, Ballenden is also an excellent cricketer who was bowling at 125km + at 15.

Personally, I like these all-round sportsmen as draft prospects, the academy really seems to be kicking into gear now as a long term driver of prosperity for us.

Like Jack Clayton, who made U15 Australian teams in AFL and cricket list year, Ballenden is also an excellent cricketer who was bowling at 125km + at 15.

Personally, I like these all-round sportsmen as draft prospects, the academy really seems to be kicking into gear now as a long term driver of prosperity for us.
I'm fortunate enough to get to watch Jack and Connor each week at club level, both are extremely talented and have the ability to go all the way if they choose to. Most young blokes Connor's size are still trying to work out how their body works but he moves extremely well for a guy his size. Hopefully Jack can get on top of his glandular fever and get back on the field in the not too distant future, he's a jet.

There were another couple of indicators at the national U12/U15 schools championships last week that the standard of junior footy in Qld is definitely improving at a rapid rate.

The U12's beat WA, and really pushed SA, in the pool rounds.

In the semi-finals of the U15's Qld actually led Victoria at the last change and only went down by 10 points, with the Vics then winning the final in a cakewalk.

Obviously lots of Lions Academy (or future academy) boys in those teams, and I reckon that we're a good chance of seeing prospects like Keays, Hipwood and Allison coming through from the Academy on a regular, if not annual, basis from now on.

There were another couple of indicators at the national U12/U15 schools championships last week that the standard of junior footy in Qld is definitely improving at a rapid rate.

The U12's beat WA, and really pushed SA, in the pool rounds.

In the semi-finals of the U15's Qld actually led Victoria at the last change and only went down by 10 points, with the Vics then winning the final in a cakewalk.

Obviously lots of Lions Academy (or future academy) boys in those teams, and I reckon that we're a good chance of seeing prospects like Keays, Hipwood and Allison coming through from the Academy on a regular, if not annual, basis from now on.
Agree 100% Judge. The critical key for all this to continue is for AFLQ to ensure grassroots footy in QLD is strong and is growing every year. The % increase they beat their chest about looks good but I have my doubts that the state of grassroots footy is as good as they say. Its important we keep the kids in footy wherever possible and convert non playing afl kids over to our great game. Keep focus on that and afl will continue to get stronger in QLD despite the other codes.

Invitees from the combine are announced. All Qlders are our boys:

Queensland
Mabior Chol Yeronga
Eric Hipwood Aspley
Ben Keays Redlands/Morningside
Corey Wagner Aspley
Reuben William Wilston Grange/Zillmere

(Thanks Bishop)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised Chol and Wagner got invites. Probably an indication of how weak the depth of this draft is.
IMO Nate Dennis is a bit unlucky not to get an invite to the combine. On the other hand, Buzza needs to show continual improvement throughout the rest of the year to be even considered for a rookie selection. (not there yet!!!) :thumbsdown:
IMO Wagner especially deserves to be going to the combine. His efforts so far this year have been pretty good and consistently high. Good on him.:thumbsu:

This just means that 5 clubs don't think he should be picked up at the National Draft.

16 thought the same thing about a certain Tom Rockliff and he goes OK ;)

Also a fair chance we weren't one of the nominating five for any of them. ;)

Your a ****** ,shouldnt we be happy Brisbane got 5 to combine

tumblr_m9i4mhLffp1qg0vi9o1_r1_500.gif

Caleb Daniel has a long road ahead of him to be an AFL player at 167cm, Boomer Harvey always had exceptional footy smarts, skills and an amazing turn of speed. Daniel was impressive but he ran around by himself, he will get closer attention this week. Daniel dominated at under 18s level, I don't think Dyson has done the same. He is an impressive underage footballer, I struggle to see how this will transfer into senior footy.
I don't really agree with that last statement one bit, considering Budarick after being sidelined all pre season last year with injury after injury, played for Labrador in the QAFL , had a regular spot starting on ball for a very strong team and also ran top 3 in their B & F after missing the last 5 games with an ankle problem. Although the standards are different between the AFL and the QAFL are far apart ,Budarick has shown that he can compete with the older bodies which has really helped him going into his draft year. A clear stand out of the Suns Academy IMO and should be considered by a few clubs, promising talent.

I don't really agree with that last statement one bit, considering Budarick after being sidelined all pre season last year with injury after injury, played for Labrador in the QAFL , had a regular spot starting on ball for a very strong team and also ran top 3 in their B & F after missing the last 5 games with an ankle problem. Although the standards are different between the AFL and the QAFL are far apart ,Budarick has shown that he can compete with the older bodies which has really helped him going into his draft year. A clear stand out of the Suns Academy IMO and should be considered by a few clubs, promising talent.
Budarick is a good honest player who is very dangerous around goals. Suns would be crazy not to pick him up.

Not sure if this has been answered already but can the same team bid on academy players with the same pick if the first has been matched
for example: collingwood bid on keays with pick 14 and we match
Collingwood then bid on hipwood with pick 14
Am i missing something?

Not sure if this has been answered already but can the same team bid on academy players with the same pick if the first has been matched
for example: collingwood bid on keays with pick 14 and we match
Collingwood then bid on hipwood with pick 14
Am i missing something?

You're not missing anything - they can indeed, although it's pick 15 in the latter case because we would have moved up to pick 14 to take Keays if we matched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back