Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I like Buzza a lot more than Chol. Chol does an occasional good thing but he lacks application and he seems to float through games. At least Buzza when he is around the ball really makes an impact. I thought Buzza was pretty close to the best around the ground ruck at the Champs this year bar none. When he had an opportunity to ruck he consistently dominated. With Chol and Dennis he did not get a hell of a lot of chances though. It is worth noting that when he got his Rising Star nomination this year it was one of the few games when he had an opportunity to play in the ruck.

Both players are only 198cm which is a bit short for an AFL ruck. Buzza has been an effective forward all year. Not dominating but consistently impacting the scoreboard both for himself and for his other forwards. He is the physical presence that Chol is not. In fact Chol has been completely ineffective whenever I have seen him in a key position role. I thought he was very disappointing in this regard.

Buzza I can see playing as a forward at AFL level and being an effective second ruck. I do not see Chol making it as an AFL ruck. With that said it looks very much like Chol will get the chance but Buzza may not. Personally I hope someone does give him that chance and it will be a real shame it is not us.
I agree with all the comments,having watched him at the carnival at Geelong. Good skills ,holds contested marks, and is a strong prescence.

Careful, if anyone fails to bow down and worship Buzza, I may get another abusive PM from tigernova calling us all dingos and calling me out for a lack of "even handedness" on a board that I don't even moderate on .

Careful, if anyone fails to bow down and worship Buzza, I may get another abusive PM from tigernova calling us all dingos and calling me out for a lack of "even handedness" on a board that I don't even moderate on .

Oh hey, you got one to?

Well a dingo is a brown dog...

Can anyone tell me about rolls next year? Heard his name come up a lot and was just wondering what type of player he is and how high he could be drafted ?

Rolls played a fair bit off half back this year for QLD at the Champs but I would expect some midfield time next year. Down back he did well in a link role. I was really impressed with his ability to get up the field and deliver into the 50. He is an elite short to medium kick. He has decent penetration on his kicks but it is his low drilling kicks that make you sit up and pay attention to him. He gives the opposition no chance with the kick barely getting above head high and hitting the target square on the chest.

He has a reputation for being an elite endurance athlete and there is some talk that he could give the record a run at the Combine next year. Pace wise he does not look like a burner but I did see him keep up with and then tackle a player who was elite in the speed department so he is not short of pace.

I expect him to be an outside flanker / wing who can run all day and whose elite kicking skills could really add something to our team. With the call up to the AFL Academy I would expect him to be in second round consideration at the moment. There is a fair way to go yet though. It is worth noting that he picked up a Rising Star nomination in the NEAFL this year and impressed quite a few with the performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

203, jeez. What did Keays say?
He was basically a perfect little Mediabot. Talked up the Academy and how it's developed him and the other boys. Said Mitch Hibberd from Tassie was the best opponent he had this year. Regretted not being able to play the Allies game, but was happy with his 3km time at the combine.

Basically spoke like a future captain.

He was basically a perfect little Mediabot. Talked up the Academy and how it's developed him and the other boys. Said Mitch Hibberd from Tassie was the best opponent he had this year. Regretted not being able to play the Allies game, but was happy with his 3km time at the combine.

Basically spoke like a future captain.

Is this the same bloke who rated very highly at the Combine [is that what it's called?]- and he's a Tasmanian?

Cal Twomey was discussing Hipwood on Traderadio and claims Eric is now 203cm! Yet still ran a 2.97 20m sprint. He'll be tallest bloke at the club I'd think.

Nah. I'm pretty sure that the tallest player is Luenberger. oh wait. :oops::(:cry:

yeah. Hipwood is the tallest.

Promising effort from one of our U16 Academy boys. Anyone seen him play?
http://www.aflq.com.au/round-17-qafl-rising-star-lliam-molan/

This news probably won't be particularly relevant for another 2 years but I can now confirm that Lliam Molan is only 16 this year, so hopefully he develops well in the meantime.

I'd expect Lliam to play the full season next year in the Wilston Grange seniors (AFLQ Div 1), which should have him used to playing against bigger/older opponents by the 2017 draft.

I'll just mention another Academy/Wilston Grange boy here, Lenny Christie, who played the entire season (including finals) in the WG seniors at 17. Very athletic, tall indigenous player who could be next year's Reuben William if he puts his mind to it.

Cal Twomey was discussing Hipwood on Traderadio and claims Eric is now 203cm! Yet still ran a 2.97 20m sprint. He'll be tallest bloke at the club I'd think.
I seem to recall Leuey also ran a decent 20m sprint although may have been before the days of the combine.

This news probably won't be particularly relevant for another 2 years but I can now confirm that Lliam Molan is only 16 this year, so hopefully he develops well in the meantime.

I'd expect Lliam to play the full season next year in the Wilston Grange seniors (AFLQ Div 1), which should have him used to playing against bigger/older opponents by the 2017 draft.

I'll just mention another Academy/Wilston Grange boy here, Lenny Christie, who played the entire season (including finals) in the WG seniors at 17. Very athletic, tall indigenous player who could be next year's Reuben William if he puts his mind to it.
Somebody needs to get in the ear of this young fella Lenny and give home some advice and get him to do a pre-season with the seniors. Get a really good base for the season and see where it takes him. Good news on Molan as well to have a spread of prospective academy players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back