ACL 2014-Final 2nd Leg KO 4am EST

Remove this Banner Ad

i personally got sick of constant mentions of monetary and financial differences between us (Aust.) and them (others).

i remember in our (Aust) failed forays into the ACL, commentators (same ones we are hearing today) discuss the financial inequalities in discussion about our teams losing.

That's because it so significant, Lippi makes an absolute fortune coaching Guangzhou and that club has the ability to attract far better players than any A-league team could ever be capable of. I'm not saying that its an adequate excuse for ACL exits (ultimately you play with you've got, as WSW showed), just that its a big factor that Australian clubs have to compensate for.

Amazing effort by WSW, really hope they can go on and win it! Not only are they are relatively new club (68 competitive games in their history?) but they've seemingly made the final with a fraction of the resources of the bigger ACL clubs (an unfortunate reality due to our market size and the presence of a salary cap). Poppa really showing he's a quality manager in the making too.

Just a question, last night they mentioned the prize money that WSW were playing for and now I believe they get to keep all of it. When Adelaide United went to the final they had to split it amongst all the A-League clubs, when did this change? :mad:

Just a question, last night they mentioned the prize money that WSW were playing for and now I believe they get to keep all of it. When Adelaide United went to the final they had to split it amongst all the A-League clubs, when did this change? :mad:

Maybe that was a directive from the FFA in trying to help out other fledgling clubs at the time? Or were Adelaide maybe (at the time) still partly/fully owned by the FFA? Given WSW are under private ownership, maybe that could be a possible reason?

Was changed this year.

That's because it so significant, Lippi makes an absolute fortune coaching Guangzhou and that club has the ability to attract far better players than any A-league team could ever be capable of. I'm not saying that its an adequate excuse for ACL exits (ultimately you play with you've got, as WSW showed), just that its a big factor that Australian clubs have to compensate for.

more $ = more attraction for best/better players, agree. excuse for losing, but no dramas when winning.

a bit like the thread on the afl board containing suggestions home ground advantage for vic teams in grand finals is significant. however 2 years ago when swans won it wasnt mentioned.

anyway i respect your opinion in all things football, always have. i have a different view to you, but life goes on and we hope for a wsw win!

oh if they do win, and say sydney fc win the a league title, imagine the shitfight between the fans. oh a-league title >>>>> acl etc

more $ = more attraction for best/better players, agree. excuse for losing, but no dramas when winning.

a bit like the thread on the afl board containing suggestions home ground advantage for vic teams in grand finals is significant. however 2 years ago when swans won it wasnt mentioned.

anyway i respect your opinion in all things football, always have. i have a different view to you, but life goes on and we hope for a wsw win!

oh if they do win, and say sydney fc win the a league title, imagine the shitfight between the fans. oh a-league title >>>>> acl etc

Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from as well. I don't think I could live with Bling FC winning the A-league though, that'd be a step too far.

Definitely BS that they get to keep all the $$$, yet we pretty much gave up 90 or so % of it, and after that we were struggling financially. :mad::mad:

Knowing the (E)FFA they'll probably change the rule again if we happen to make the final again...

Definitely BS that they get to keep all the $$$, yet we pretty much gave up 90 or so % of it, and after that we were struggling financially. :mad::mad:

Knowing the (E)FFA they'll probably change the rule again if we happen to make the final again...

I bet they had to pick a season where it happened to be CCM, WSW and MV competing to change it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point was that Adelaide were struggling to cover costs of travel and had to split the prize money, now WSW are likely to make financial gain out of it. Just a coincidence that it happened this season. Also the fact that we played in the FIFA club world cup, which if I remember correctly had a decent chunk of prize money as well, which was also split.

And why would they rig it when it resulted in all the other clubs getting the same prize money anyway, in saying that WSW's match will probably be rigged seeming they're playing Al Hilal.

Stop being a sour puss, its changed for the better deal with it the past is the past just coz Adelaide had to split it in 08 shouldn't mean every one else should going forward.

FFA been at fault for a million things in the past. Put it behind you and move on its changed for the better.

Ok point taken, I agree teams should keep the money just not sure why it all of a sudden changed this season when the FFA were all always talking about equalisation in the A-league

Just read this article this morning. While I agree it might have been a bit unfair for Adelaide to share it's profits, it seems it could be part of the FFA's strategy to try and help all clubs. The bit below is probably the most relevant to this:

"Each of the A-League clubs will receive a portion of the funds from the Wanderers sale. That, and the purchase of Melbourne City for $12 million by English Premier League giants Manchester City earlier this year, Gallop says, shows there is value in the A-League licences held by owners.

That theory will be tested in the coming months, with Tinkler keen to sell the Jets and stakes in the Central Coast Mariners and Melbourne Victory also on the market."

For any club's fully/partly owned by the FFA that are sold, you'd expect some of that money to be distributed amongst the other clubs.

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/profits_boss_david_gallop_says_half_3j9KA814vfkHJCJJzQ6WML

Geez i hope Spiranovic plays tonight, clean sheet absolutely vital tonight

if it's a scoreless draw then the opposition will feel confident of winning on their home turf.

nothing but a wsw win will do.

I tend to disagree, i think we are more than capable of winning it away, no doubt we have to go into the away leg with a lead but our defence is going to prove most important for us tonight.

If its a draw over two legs whoever has more away goals wins
Example:
Game 1: WSW 1 - 0 Other Mob

Game 2: Other Mob 2 - 1 WSW

Its 2-2 but WSW have 1 away goal vs 0 so win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back