News ACT government to look into four GWS Giants games at Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to come up more and more. The AFL has to be clear on the priorities here and stick to their long term plan. For the next sereral years the priority has to be Western Sydney and growing the market there. The Canberra market is finite, and may gradually grow to at least 3 x 15K crowds a year during the premiership season. I highly doubt it will stretch to 4x15k anytime soon. The potential for 8 x 15-18k crowds in Western Sydney in the next few years is realistic in my opinion, given on field sucess.

Can't see it happening and the article doesn't exactly contain any facts, instead just a bunch of opinions of various people. Pretty disappointed that Peter Taylor came out to be quoted in the article, but given he got on the board as someone pushing the Canberra line it doesn't surprise me.

Barr is going to Sydney next month where he hopes to talk to Football Federation Australia about cashing in on the success of the Asian Cup; the Australian Rugby Union about bringing the Wallabies to Canberra; and Cricket Australia about an elusive first Test match.
Sounds like Canberra is the flavour of the month and all sports want to cash in on the Canberra market.

As long as Canberra remains our's and doesnt go back to being there for Doggies,Nth and Sid's.

My Dad lives a 20 minute walk away from Manuka. I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if more games were played there. :)

There are many things you can say about the ACT Chief Minister - but Andy does love his sport - just a pity he's a Hawthorn supporter.

They already get 4 - three and a pre-season. That's enough.

Makes you wonder though what sort of crowds would an all Canberra team get, i understand GWS is geared for the future and the upside is 1000 times the upside in Canberra but you would think that Manuka would sell out for a Canberra team.

Makes you wonder though what sort of crowds would an all Canberra team get, i understand GWS is geared for the future and the upside is 1000 times the upside in Canberra but you would think that Manuka would sell out for a Canberra team.

No. Only if they performed. Rugby League and Rugby Union can't get regular sell outs, only when they are going well. There's no reason why an all ACT would do that on a regular basis.

No. Only if they performed. Rugby League and Rugby Union can't get regular sell outs, only when they are going well. There's no reason why an all ACT would do that on a regular basis.

I think you may find that initially both teams (RU, RL) probably did sell out and went through a period of being the local darlings, of course when they were playing well.

Only if they performed is of course the key.

AF culture has traditionally been built on membership and attendance, the Canberra culture of AF is IMO far more traditional than that of Sydney or GWS and goes back to the very foundations of Canberra when many many blue collar and public servants moved from Melbourne, it leads me to believe that a Canberra team would sell out particuarly when the big Melbourne teams would be travelling there.

But we will probably never know, as Canberra will most likely never have a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you may find that initially both teams (RU, RL) probably did sell out and went through a period of being the local darlings, of course when they were playing well.

Only if they performed is of course the key.

AF culture has traditionally been built on membership and attendance, the Canberra culture of AF is IMO far more traditional than that of Sydney or GWS and goes back to the very foundations of Canberra when many many blue collar and public servants moved from Melbourne, it leads me to believe that a Canberra team would sell out particuarly when the big Melbourne teams would be travelling there.

But we will probably never know, as Canberra will most likely never have a team.

As someone who did go to a lot of early Brumbies games, particularly in 1996 when they made the grand final in their second year, the crowds were large but not necessarily sell-outs the way Wanderers games have been (for example). Admittedly I didn't go to nearly as many Raiders games but even in 1994/1995 when they won the grand final and immediately afterwards the crowds weren't consistently near capacity.

I don't necessarily agree that a Canberra team would automatically demonstrate that the old AFL tradition will win out. Firstly there's a long history of country rugby league and the schools are more rugby (league and/or union) than Aussie Rules. There's probably a proportionally stronger core of Aussie Rules followers in Canberra than western Sydney but whether it translates to bums on seats is another matter.

We'll see how the crowd goes when Geelong play GWS this year.

As someone who did go to a lot of early Brumbies games, particularly in 1996 when they made the grand final in their second year, the crowds were large but not necessarily sell-outs the way Wanderers games have been (for example).

As another Sydney data point, Wanderers' games are only running at crowds of around 13k this year after reaching 15k last year in a ground with a capacity of 21k. Patrons stop showing up when a team isn't winning - Sydneysiders are often after a night out, they're not rusted on supporters.

As a Giants fan I do appreciate the support from the guys in Canberra but make no mistake a big part of the reason GWS is taking time to take off is our disjointed identity.

You cannot be half pregnant.

I believe the majority of, if not all our home games should be at Spotless. I know Hawthorn and North shift games but they are established clubs....we need to find our identity.

Moving our home base around is embarrassing and a concession of defeat.

As a Giants fan I do appreciate the support from the guys in Canberra but make no mistake a big part of the reason GWS is taking time to take off is our disjointed identity.

You cannot be half pregnant.

I believe the majority of, if not all our home games should be at Spotless. I know Hawthorn and North shift games but they are established clubs....we need to find our identity.

Moving our home base around is embarrassing and a concession of defeat.

I would agree, however the way i saw it, was GWS shoreing up finances through the ACT Government sponsorship and at a time when Spotless was perhaps unavailable due to the show, but i too would much prefer a WS team play all it's home games in Sydney.

As someone who did go to a lot of early Brumbies games, particularly in 1996 when they made the grand final in their second year, the crowds were large but not necessarily sell-outs the way Wanderers games have been (for example). Admittedly I didn't go to nearly as many Raiders games but even in 1994/1995 when they won the grand final and immediately afterwards the crowds weren't consistently near capacity.

I don't necessarily agree that a Canberra team would automatically demonstrate that the old AFL tradition will win out. Firstly there's a long history of country rugby league and the schools are more rugby (league and/or union) than Aussie Rules. There's probably a proportionally stronger core of Aussie Rules followers in Canberra than western Sydney but whether it translates to bums on seats is another matter.

We'll see how the crowd goes when Geelong play GWS this year.

All you have to do is ask yourself this question ..... what crowd do you think a Canberra AFL team playing 4 games at spotless, the first opponent being Melbourne FC would get.

I doubt you would get a couple of thousand.

Interesting article on 100 years of footy in Canberra, which agrees with you about the strength of country RL surrounding Canberra.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/08/01/the-nation’s-capital-celebrates-100-years/

There is no doubt that GWS has in the last couple of years helped with a revival of sorts at junior level in Canberra, this is from another thread ......

in 1973

12 under 12 teams
8 under 13 teams
6 under 14 teams = 26 teams

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/110715102

in 1983

14 under 12 teams
15 under 13 teams
12 under 14 teams = 41 teams

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/131851466

in 1995

7 under 12 teams
6 under 13 teams
8 under 14 teams = 21 teams

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/14743445?zoomLevel=1

in 2007

15 under 14's
00 under 13's
10 under 12's = 25 teams

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=2552471 page 34

14 under 12 teams
11 under 13 teams
12 under 14 teams = 37 teams

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-1051-0-298773-0&a=LADDER
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-1051-0-298776-0&a=LADDER

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-1051-0-298771-0

this is not auskick, these are decent age groups to make a comparison over quite a period of time, quite clearly there has been a big upswing since 2007 and a 10% increase for the last 3 years.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...t-junior-levels.1090048/page-15#post-37813800

I think 3 home games plus one pre-season game is a pretty good deal for Canberra.

It's important that the other 8 home games remain in Sydney.

The fact that Sydney-based fans need to wait so long to see their first home game does not help. Perhaps that was accentuated this year because of the late start due to the cricket world cup.

Its irrelevant IMO.

Its all about the TV market and the business model.

Fact is little doubt GWS probably makes more money over time than in Canberra than Western Sydney. They probably get a kick back as well.

It might change if GWS hit top 4 and beyond and the Sydney crowd get on board in terms of ground audience.

I actually thing 4 games in Canberra is a smart move in a unnecessarily saturated Sydney market atm.

The argument is you would pick up a bigger slice of the Canberra, Southern NSW market prior to becoming successful enough to draw on bigger attendances in Sydney

I think 3 home games plus one pre-season game is a pretty good deal for Canberra.

It's important that the other 8 home games remain in Sydney.

The fact that Sydney-based fans need to wait so long to see their first home game does not help. Perhaps that was accentuated this year because of the late start due to the cricket world cup.

Yeah but you have the Swans games in Sydney and Canberra is only a 3.5 hour drive, maybe 4 to the oval?

All you have to do is ask yourself this question ..... what crowd do you think a Canberra AFL team playing 4 games at spotless, the first opponent being Melbourne FC would get.

I doubt you would get a couple of thousand.

Interesting article on 100 years of footy in Canberra, which agrees with you about the strength of country RL surrounding Canberra.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/08/01/the-nation’s-capital-celebrates-100-years/

I think they could attract over 4000 regularly at Narrandera. Canberra is more Union IMO so it is the type of market that could grow for Aussie Rules. Have a lot of transitional people from Victoria, WA and wherever else via public service. It would be interesting the flight schedules to because Manuka is not to far away from Canberra airport.

Taxis are expensive as hell but if AFL/Act govt could charter busses could be an attractive model for visiting Melbourne diehard supporters.

Eg. might get few thousand VICS via flights to Manuka on a AFL sponsored deal, see the capital as well. It would be interesting because it would be easier to attract visitor crowds to Canberra on special flights than Western Sydney I would have thought
Not as stupid as it sounds as the Airport has the capacity and convenience set up and is hospitality driven due to the political support activity.

you could even do it as a one-off type of event as a trial and error.

I nearly went to the GWS Melbourne match but it clashed with the Richmond Bulldogs match on Fox.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back