Retired #17: Adam Cooney - Announces retirement and has cleaned out locker

Remove this Banner Ad

Handled that really well. They pushed him for an answer on the Dogs and I think he was 'respectful' whilst making it clear that he no longer considers himself a dog.. perfectly handled. Then they pushed the ASADA angle and I think he played it with a straight bat which was great.

Pisses me off that he has to deal with it.. cause lets face it.. he, along with 20 other guys on our lis (yep half of them) have nothing to do with the ASADA stuff.. at all.. and yet the media still carry on like it is the only news about EFC.

Also, I've heard a couple of players suggest they don't give a toss about the ASADA stuff.. I think AFL players understand the 'media cycle' more than anyone really.. they know that most of the crap printed is just that.. crap. So I think that helps them understand that it is just noise.. they are probably really glad it wasn't them.. but other than probably don't give two shits to be honest.

Is great to have yet another 'face' to present to the media.. a definite upgrade on bumbling, mumbling big man R... something.

Whom speaks like a stupid person.

News Flash.. Zaka, Fletcher, Goddard, Winderlich, Chapman would all be ahead of him for *that* role.. in worst case situation...

In fact I think Goddard would be that far in front right now..

News Flash.. Zaka, Fletcher, Goddard, Winderlich, Chapman would all be ahead of him for *that* role.. in worst case situation...

In fact I think Goddard would be that far in front right now..
that's a caro-esque news flash

Coons is great, nobody at the dogs wishes him ill. Hope he goes on to play a good couple of seasons for you.
Grif was labouring with a back injury he got in the preseason for most for the year which seemed to get better in the last third or so. Its perfectly possible he will belt out 3 or 4 tip-top years for GWS. Depends on the nature of the injury I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus, switching between the Ryder thread and the coon thread whilst not concentrating fully makes me think you are all really bad racists.

On this, do you reckon we can get the CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE chant in the Dreamtime game whenever he gets the ball or all of next year to avoid racial connotations?

As to the comparison to Stanton.. statistically wise.. yes Cooney and Stanton were similar this year.. last year Cooney was significantly better than Stanton.

Both were taken in the same draft, Cooney at #1 and stanton at #13.. Cooney is 6 months older than Stanton.

If you take out the injury years in 2010 and 2011 where the dogs chronically mismanaged his knee.. Cooney has been 'better' than Stanton, statistically, in every single year.

There are some on this site that defend Stanton to the hilt.. and laugh at suggestions he might be out of the best 22.. and yet we bring in a BETTER model.. and suddenly he is 'too old', 'past it' etc etc... I notice the same 'age related' commentary isn't done about Goddard, Stanton, Watson etc etc...

Cooney still has 2-3 years of good footy ahead of him and we got him free. I think, personally, he takes the spot of a guy like Howlett/Kommer and he is a significant upgrade on both those options.

Telling you that Stanton was a bit better than Cooney in 2014 - You've got to remember that Cooney even spent time as SUB.

Look at 2013 - Both players had similar seaons,though Cooney's best impacted more on games.

I loved the interview. Cooney was quite dismissive of what he considered to be poor questions - And he was to the point with his answers - Hope he plays like that on the footy field.

I'm guessing they'll play him forward

Very excited what he can bring to the club, hopefully the change of scenery and how much he wants to be here directly influences his on field performance! Seems like a great bloke that will fit on quite nicely with the group.

Telling you that Stanton was a bit better than Cooney in 2014 - You've got to remember that Cooney even spent time as SUB.

Look at 2013 - Both players had similar seaons,though Cooney's best impacted more on games.

Why are people comparing the two anyways? Cooney is probably pushing Howlett out for a midfielders spot anyways. Maybe Colyer

A friend of mine is close to cooney and apparently the reason he chose essendon over north was due to the hangar have a spongy floor which will be better for his knee. The dogs are also paying a part of his salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back