Adam Cooney joins Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh he's a bloody genius alright.
You bought in:
Cooney
Giles
Gwilt.

What a genius!!!!!
And he got for Ryder, on the last day of the trade period what he could've gotten a week ago.

Give that man a raise!

LOL Essendon are becoming a bit of a retirement village. I'm not so sure if they'll improve, Heppel adide, they haven't brought in a great deal of young quality midfielders in the past five year or so. I expect them to get run off their feet.

Gleeson, Z. Merrett, Dalgleish, J. Merrett, A. Browne, Howlett, Colyer, Melksham....

Barring an injury shortened career, I'd be stunned if any of those players failed to hit 150 games. Essendon has recruited midfielders quite well in recent years.

Happy to turn Cooney into Biggs. We get a young player who has looked promising and get rid of an older player who was embarrassing at times, looking very much like he needed to be put out to pasture.

Gleeson, Z. Merrett, Dalgleish, J. Merrett, A. Browne, Howlett, Colyer, Melksham....

Barring an injury shortened career, I'd be stunned if any of those players failed to hit 150 games. Essendon has recruited midfielders quite well in recent years.
You'd really be stunned if Browne didn't play 150 games?

Didnt everyone also say that Chapmans hammys were stuffed?

To be fair there's a lot of evidence that Cooney's knee is stuffed. Out of his own mouth in fact. Still he's a former gun and while risky, is a good pickup for the Dons. I think he's worth taking a punt on.

Got to say Adrian Dodoro is a genius.

He's been able to get a decent deal for Ryder.

He's managed to get decent ruck cover in Giles.

He's added to Essendon's midfield depth with Cooney.

Deserves a payrise.

Giles could not break into GWS ruck with Mumford having 80 year old knees

Speaking of 80 year old knees, Cooneys best comment when coming to Essendon was the Gym has soft spongy floors. That is really important for people with knees older then Jesus.

In saying that you had to do what you had to with Ryder wanting to leave. You are now into the first round which is a win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, Essendon. :)

Strange decision really

Essendon appear to be stuck in no man's land, not going to challenge for the flag in the immediate future yet continue to top up with known quantities who all have some severe limitations who don't really offer much...almost as if happy to accept mediocrity?!

Plays one good game in 10 lol top pick up essendon

Dude, your pick up hasn't PLAYED ten games yet.

That along with half your list deciding to vacate - you realise you'll be starting favourite for the spoon yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO when you consider the total player, he's the best ruck in the league.
I'll let you live in the fantasy that you once had the best ruck in the league. Being the best ruck at going forward for a goal - at not quite one a game - doesn't counter that he is not as good a ruckman as the likes of Sandilands, Jacobs, Goldstein, Lobbe, Mumford and co. Even as an all round package they are still in front cause their ruckwork is too far in front.

Good footballer, but Port aren't getting a guy who has been a superstar. Still only young for a ruckman so still has quite a bit of development to go.

I just wonder whether there is a thought within Essendon that if they want to cut a deal with ASADA, they feel their players may miss some early games in 2015. In this case they are looking at some experience players to carry on whilst this happens. With Goddard, Chapman, Giles, Gwilt and Cooney plus Daniher, Zac Merritt, Winderlich, Fletcher and Zaharakis there is enough good players to at least make them competitive in a worst case scenario.

I'll let you live in the fantasy that you once had the best ruck in the league.

Well we arguably had the best ruck in the history of the game for 378 games - so yeah.

Being the best ruck at going forward for a goal - at not quite one a game - doesn't counter that he is not as good a ruckman as the likes of Sandilands, Jacobs, Goldstein, Lobbe, Mumford and co. Even as an all round package they are still in front cause their ruckwork is too far in front.

With the possible exception of Mumford, Ryder is a superior player to all the above.

Hell, David Myers is a better kick than Ablett - doesn't mean he's a better midfielder.

Good footballer, but Port aren't getting a guy who has been a superstar. Still only young for a ruckman so still has quite a bit of development to go.

IMO Port are now flag favourites.

Yeah i think Essendon are probably favorites for the spoon at this stage, probably then St Kilda then Melbourne

Heard the same crap last year - played finals.

I just wonder whether there is a thought within Essendon that if they want to cut a deal with ASADA, they feel their players may miss some early games in 2015. In this case they are looking at some experience players to carry on whilst this happens. With Goddard, Chapman, Giles, Gwilt and Cooney plus Daniher, Zac Merritt, Winderlich, Fletcher and Zaharakis there is enough good players to at least make them competitive in a worst case scenario.
what they should have done is trade out the 17-19 or so players on their list who have to face the music with notices. then there is no forfeiting games crisis

what they should have done is trade out the 30 or so players on their list who have to face the music with notices. then there is no forfeiting games crisis

Ill informed rubbish.

Essendon has between 17-19 players on its list facing SCNs - don't post on what you clearly know nothing about.

^ Someone had to post that.

Seriously, good luck to Cooney. Fun guy off the field, will be weird seeing him in red & black.

2000 G.Richards COL
2001 L.Montagna STK
2002 B.Staker WCE
2003 T.Roach RICH
2004 M.Lecras WCE
2005 J.Anthony COL
2006 T.Goldstein NME
2007 S.Thompson NME
2008 Z.Clarke FREM
2009 J.MacMillan NME
2010 G.Horlin-Smith GEE
2011 J.Newnes STK
2012 B.Jacobs NME
2013 A.Pearce FRE
so 37 has done well for us. All 4 of those guys played finals for us this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back