Adam Cooney joins Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt he'll be named every week even if fit...

Don't see why not. He doesn't need to be in the top 10 players on our list, If he is better than the 22nd then he's in. If the kids are good enough they'll force him or whoever isn't good enough out.

Giles could not break into GWS ruck with Mumford having 80 year old knees
This hasn't been highlighted being incredibly stupid yet? 17 games and averaged the second most taps in the game, Plus was top 20 in the league in tackles, that second part is huge because it shows he's not simply smacking it away and jogging around but he's a solid 100+ kilos and he's throwing his body around being an enforcer around the packs.

Mumford would walk into every other teams number 1 ruck spot bar Sandilands. What the hell are you thinking mate?

feel for the bullies but cooney was on his last legs only a year ago so if his injury flares up again the bullies have saved themselves

but to lose cooney and griffin in one hit is quite huge.

What will Cooney teach the youngsters that Watson and Chapman haven't already?

Crap argument.

I reckon' they're grabbing him for a bit of depth. I doubt he'll be named every week even if fit...
Cooney will teach the Essendon players how to win finals as well as provide influence from a highly successful culture. Something that cant be said for Chapman and Watson.

is it just me or is Cooney s**t?

Would have kept pick 30 something if i were essendon.

I think this move could re-energize Cooney, based on all the in house issues some of these guys where having this could be a fresh start to fire him back up.

Ryder is awesome because he can do a really good job of playing first ruck, second ruck or as a forward. Can't think of too many other rucks in the comp with that versatility.

A very good forward. can take a solid cluck and put them through from 50. guy's very versatile and dangerous.

Going to help Port a lot imo

I dont think Essendons list is in bad shape at all, in fact I think they could do as well as top 6 *shudders*. But this decision is a strange one.

Gwilt adds depth and comes cheaply. Giles is a no brainer and a good signing.

Western Bulldogs have been dying to get rid of Cooney for 2 years because nobody wanted him there. Heard ordinary things about the bloke.

Not to mention hes only got a few years left. Do Essendon really think they're in a window? Why else would they be signing blokes like Chappy and Cooney.

But as someone suggested. Perhaps theyre preparing in case they play undermanned early in the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your club had paid 37 for Cooney would you support the move?

Personally, I would be pissed.

I'd probably not be happy due to the position we're in, but I still rate him if used correctly.

North going for him on the cheap made sense to me. He can still play given the right role and although the whole knee thing is really crap he still played 37 games in 2013/2014. North could push top 4 (before finals) if they sort out the issues between the ears so topping up on the cheap wasn't a bad idea as long as they kept their main picks.

Given the Dons sanctions and their relative proximity to a premiership window it makes less sense to me.

People put a lot of value on pick 37. I would say we got Cooley for free since we have 17 and 20 and most likely that's all we wanted.

If your club had paid 37 for Cooney would you support the move?

Personally, I would be pissed.

It is virtually a non existent pick, we will only use two picks in the draft(17 and 21) and a later one to upgrade Ambrose from the Rookie list, we already have to demote someone else to the rookie list for this to happen so we get him for nothing really.

I'd probably not be happy due to the position we're in, but I still rate him if used correctly.

North going for him on the cheap made sense to me. He can still play given the right role and although the whole knee thing is really crap he still played 37 games in 2013/2014. North could push top 4 (before finals) if they sort out the issues between the ears so topping up on the cheap wasn't a bad idea as long as they kept their main picks.

Given the Dons sanctions and their relative proximity to a premiership window it makes less sense to me.

Why are North Melbourne any closer to a premiership than Essendon? we were leading them with 5 minutes to go in the Elimination final, they won two more games than us this year and the ledger was split 1-1 in our head to head matches. Yes they maybe marginally ahead but to say North are in a premiership window and then elude to the fact the Essendon are not is a bit rich for me.

It is virtually a non existent pick, we will only use two picks in the draft(17 and 21) and a later one to upgrade Ambrose from the Rookie list, we already have to demote someone else to the rookie list for this to happen so we get him for nothing really.

Or you could demote the same someone and then use 37 in the ND.

It's ND37 v Cooney.

The real question is, why on earth are Essendon topping up? o_O

Remove the ASADA rubbish and the list is pretty good. Top 4 good IMO, however thats obviously debatable.

And as I've said in other threads, they aren't topping up so much as filling out a quota of senior players that we can comfortably carry - two years ago the only 30+ player on our list was Fletcher.

Essendon are at the position where they should be ready to challenge, but IMO losing Ryder has killed any chance they may of had.

Not sure what Gwilt adds, and Cooney is another big ?? as he clearly struggling with injury and is just a player now.

They don't fill any weakness in the list and won't help Essendon jump from 7-8ish any higher.

Giles makes sense, I just think he ain't up to it.

IMO strange list management, they are topping up for a shot at a flag but the top ups won't add anything to the best team!

Ryder is a loss no doubt, but I think a few have very short memories. At the start of 2014, not only was Bellchambers considered our number one ruckman, but many people actually considered him the most important player on our list (ironically because Ryder was considered flakey).

The combination of an injury destroyed season for Bellchambers, and Ryders obvious emergence as an elite ruckman have skewed that view barely 7 months after it was present. A lot of 'IFs' of course, but if you assume Bellchambers is ready to go for 2015; Ryder shouldn't be as big a loss as you would think.

Gwilt, yeah I don't see him adding a great deal. However two things encourage me - first, that we were getting a bit light on for depth of senior defenders, and two, that he effectively cost us a selection at pick 62 in the ND - highly speculative anyway.

Cooney is obviously a high risk / high reward player. If he has largely overcome his knee issues, he should be a damn good addition to our midfield. If not, well we lose a second round pick (37) that we could have otherwise used.

Giles was necessary. We clearly needed a replacement ruck to support Bellchambers. We can draft one, sure - but we needed a ready made AFL ruckman and we now have one - IMO the best of our offseason acquisitions.

Come off it. Genius???

Believe it or not a couple years ago I wasn't a fan of Dodoro; but I now think he's bloody crafty.

He managed to bring in three young players last year that all look likely to have decent AFL careers despite missing our first two picks - effectively countering the first year of our draft sanctions.

Add to that this year we now have two picks inside the top 20, AND our list profile allowed us to top us with senior players - he's done a pretty good job.

He will be lucky to play more than 8 games. Bizarre pick up.

Cooney was never 'a star'. He had a good year once and failed to produce anything close to a Brownlow medal winner. Not his fault though, with crippling injuries.

He was a massive ball watcher this year.

Never a star....

adamcooneybrownlow424-424x283.jpg

Your argument is invalid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back