Analysis Adam goodes and the derby

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
with this dominating the news at the moment, and a sellout a real possibility for the derby, I wonder how Giants fans will react to goodes?

What do u think?

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
I personally don't care all that much. The more that is made of it, the more some opposition supporters will be tempted to get stuck in. The reasons people are booing are numerous, with some probably not even sure why they are doing it. It is impossible to solve such a complex issue. Will go away when Goodes retires.

Drezdyn

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
All Northern alliance teams
We're a different bunch of fans.

We don't boo our team as they walk off the ground after playing badly. Quite unique for an AFL crowd.

I can't see why we would boo Adam Goodes either, and I hope nobody does.

On the other hand..... McVeigh (sniper), Tippett (w&^ker who snubbed us), Buddy (w&^ker who snubbed us) are all fair game for booing and sledging.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
It's an interesting one
Of course ppl will boo him but as there will be a lot of swans fans will be there so he will be well supportedto

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I'd be really disappointed if our fans booed him.

Whilst I don't believe everyone that is booing him is a racist what this situation has allowed is for a lot of frustrated casual racists to have a cheap vehicle to vent their spleen.

This whole situation has become very embarrassing and I shudder to think how we will be looked at on Grand Final day when the red necks razz him during the parade.

Giants fans are better than that....or at least I hope so.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
On a side note I met Adam Goodes many years ago at a nightspot in Sydney, he was out having drinks with a couple of Swans team mates.

You would not meet a nicer more genuine bloke in your life. He spoke to us for 20 minutes, absolutely no ego, just a really humble young bloke living the dream playing footy.

I wish more people had the chance to see that side of him.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
We're a different bunch of fans.

We don't boo our team as they walk off the ground after playing badly. Quite unique for an AFL crowd.

I can't see why we would boo Adam Goodes either, and I hope nobody does.

On the other hand..... McVeigh (sniper), Tippett (w&^ker who snubbed us), Buddy (w&^ker who snubbed us) are all fair game for booing and sledging.

I'm glad Buddy didn't come here and I have more problems with his then manager, who is the lowest form of pond scum on the planet, than I do with him (sledging maybe/probably, booing? Nah) I didn't even know we were in the mix for Tippett so I don't have a problem with him either - he's out with a hand injury anyway from what I understand - will he be back by then?

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I hope we don't boo Goodes.

The booing of Goodes isn't pantomime, it's got malice behind it. Whether it's because he's a stager, a sniper, a flog, a hypocrite, or up himself or whatever "it's not racist really" excuse is used, it is not part of the theatre of the game.

It's ignorant and not in the spirit of the game.

We're better than that.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Id be really disappointed if giants fans booed him.For whatever reason they originally booed him indigenous players view it as rascist so people should try to put themselves in there shoes and respect him.If u were seated next to Hampton, Williams or Wilsons family would any Giants fans boo?.No way

Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Makes no difference IMO. I don't think Giants fans would have the same "passion" to boo Goodes on his own irrespective of motives. If there is booing, it'll be the expected bad call boos irrespective of which player is involved and not just for Goodes.

On a side note does anyone else think that the enormous amount of media coverage that this whole thing is getting, mostly painting the motives behind the booing as racial, is getting too much? Do we really need three articles a day on how so and so says booing is bad? Had Jetta not done his war dance celebration, I had almost forgotten about the entire saga. I think the reports are damaging the image of the AFL fan in general. The boos don't come from three or four people, there's large numbers of them and now they are all being labelled as racist in the media. That can't be a good thing, but I don't think telling people they can't boo all together will make things better either.

Makes no difference IMO. I don't think Giants fans would have the same "passion" to boo Goodes on his own irrespective of motives. If there is booing, it'll be the expected bad call boos irrespective of which player is involved and not just for Goodes.

On a side note does anyone else think that the enormous amount of media coverage that this whole thing is getting, mostly painting the motives behind the booing as racial, is getting too much? Do we really need three articles a day on how so and so says booing is bad? Had Jetta not done his war dance celebration, I had almost forgotten about the entire saga. I think the reports are damaging the image of the AFL fan in general. The boos don't come from three or four people, there's large numbers of them and now they are all being labelled as racist in the media. That can't be a good thing, but I don't think telling people they can't boo all together will make things better either.

I made a post on the Lions board that I think summed it up.

People aren't going to stop booing because they're told to.

People aren't going to stop thinking that those that are booing are voluntarily lumping themselves in with racists.

People might stop booing if they do realise they are voluntarily lumping themselves in with racists.

I do think that the media is going a bit overboard, but that's what they do. They aim to sell papers by pumping a massive overreaction, as they do for every little thing. They're not aiming to stop people booing Goodes.

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
I made a post on the Lions board that I think summed it up.

People aren't going to stop booing because they're told to.

People aren't going to stop thinking that those that are booing are voluntarily lumping themselves in with racists.

People might stop booing if they do realise they are voluntarily lumping themselves in with racists.

I do think that the media is going a bit overboard, but that's what they do. They aim to sell papers by pumping a massive overreaction, as they do for every little thing. They're not aiming to stop people booing Goodes.
This!

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
How is booing goodes racist though? Jobe Watson got booed to oblivion, ex players get booed, umps get booed, etc.

I think that giving special treatment to him is reverse racism.

Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
To play devils advocate for a minute.

What evidence do we have that it is racial? That every single person is booing Goodes because of his race?

Hasn't Goodes contributed to this perception that it has to be racist? He has come out and accused it of being racial? I may be slightly off with this but I hope you all kind of understand what I'm getting at here.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS

What evidence do we have that it is racial? That every single person is booing Goodes because of his race?

Hasn't Goodes contributed to this perception that it has to be racist? He has come out and accused it of being racial? I may be slightly off with this but I hope you all kind of understand what I'm getting at here.
This has been argued in every medium ad nauseum. In short, I believe it is far and away racially driven.

Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I agree that there must be some who are using it as an opportunity to tarnish Goodes because of his vocal attitudes towards improving recognition of Aboriginal culture.

But surely part of it is becoming the novelty of booing Adam Goodes because it's become a "thing" like flare bottom pants or those stickers on the back of car windows that are supposed to represent the family.

Booing will not stop, in any sport. Nor should it because I do think that boos and applause help create an atmosphere of the ground/crowd which always adds to the match day experience. But the ones at Goodes need to be minimised drastically. GG above said he'd boo a set shot, regardless of the player (hopefully opposition teams only :p). I would too. I think that's fine. But booing the the point every time someone so much as touches the ball is just not on.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Brendan Goddard said something interesting and pertinent tonight on 360 tonight (I know, I know, a rarity)

He said that even if it's not racist it's extreme bullying

Which is just as bad - we want to stamp out bullying don't we? - so whether it's racist or not - it's still unacceptable.

How is booing goodes racist though? Jobe Watson got booed to oblivion, ex players get booed, umps get booed, etc.

I think that giving special treatment to him is reverse racism.

Why do players who get booed everywhere all the time get booed?

Watson gets booed because of the drug cheat angle.

To steal from league, DCE gets booed because of his ridiculous contract and the rigmarole around it.

Goodes? He only started getting this treatment after speaking up about the girl who racially abused him, amongst other items. It's very hard to argue that it's not racist given the trigger. Yes, some people booed Goodes before that, just like some people boo other players, but the full scale whole-crowd booing that we've seen over the past few months has been triggered by him speaking out on racial issues. Given race is such a fundamental reason why this all kicked off, I find it hard to reason that somehow this booing of Goodes isn't racially driven.

No one with their head screwed on right is claiming that everyone is booing Goodes because of his race. Some media might claim it, but I've already argued that they are sensationalizing it because that's what they're in the business of doing. But at least some degree of this massive amount of booing is racially triggered, and a lot of the rest is a bunch of sheep following along because they think it'd be funny and/or they want to be part of the crowd. If that rest stopped and thought about it and realised that the reason they are booing is, in fact, being driven by racism - maybe not their's, but definitely others' - then hopefully a lot would reconsider what they're doing.

Back