Mega Thread Adam Goodes starring in Lord of the Flies - The only place to post Goodes stuff - Read the OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come to the conclusion that this thread is overwhelmingly occupied by racists & bullies.
This thread is full of people with differing views on a very divisive issue and a lot of all or nothing comments

But that's too hard for the media who don't want to have to talk about complex issues so they make sweeping statements that everyone is racist followed by the retort that nobody is racist
Most of the arguments on this board have been along the same lines, there is no issue or the entire blame rests with one party or my personal favorite a PR stunt organised by the AFL and NSW governments......

It's not just the media, it's seemingly most parties.

People also have this distorted view of what the media is, or should be. This kind of noble art of reporting. Finding the 'objective truth' and bringing it to the masses. While the 'media' might be seemingly more prevalent than ever before, their hold on the general narrative is much weaker than it has ever been.

That's because of the democratisation and decentralisation of media thanks to the internet - the whole power structure has shifted dramatically.

And with that power shift, the business model has changed too. The media is in the content business these days - like seemingly everyone else!

It's not just the media, it's seemingly most parties.

People also have this distorted view of what the media is, or should be. This kind of noble art of reporting. Finding the 'objective truth' and bringing it to the masses. While the 'media' might be seemingly more prevalent than ever before, their hold on the general narrative is much weaker than it has ever been.

That's because of the democratisation and decentralisation of media thanks to the internet - the whole power structure has shifted dramatically.

And with that power shift, the business model has changed too. The media is in the content business these days - like seemingly everyone else!
Media is a business, and I think they are finding it harder to convince people that they are the moral compass of society.

Unfortunately they are still pretty good at manipulating situations to keep themselves in business and pushing the agendas of their owners

Media is a business, and I think they are finding it harder to convince people that they are the moral compass of society.

Unfortunately they are still pretty good at manipulating situations to keep themselves in business and pushing the agendas of their owners

Media has always pushed agendas. Since year zero. They had much more power before the internet, because they were the voice. The authority.

The internet has had a profound democratising effect on media. It has also changed the notion of what journalism is/was in much the same way.

Pick up the Herald Sun these days. It's not a newspaper anymore. or at least a newspaper as we once knew. Almost every article is more akin to a light content piece.

And content is a voracious beast. People want it all the time, across multiple devices, various channels. And they want it fresh. So the best sort of content is self-gemerating, which 'invites' people into the conversation (Once we published stories, now we start conversations). The imperative isn't on accuracy or quality but first to market and feeding that content beast.

Having been inside these media organisations, and now dealing with them in a different professional capacity these days, the notion of them ochestrating any sort of 'masterplan', co-ordinating any kind of agenda with other parties makes me chuckle. They are run ragged just trying to continually reinvent themselves and feed their consumers.

Anyway, I muse.

Isn't it kind of mean to say that only people not from Sydney are racist.
Thats another ignorant and uniformed statement also.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I have booed Adam Goodes, but I have never booed him or any other player because of the colour of their skin, nor would I ever.

I will boo a player for an incident that has occurred in a game and if it is bad enough I will boo them for the whole game, as most supporters do, I will boo players like Buddy Franklin who left our club, I will boo the umpires. Booing is a part of football.

How is the booing of Adam Goodes any different to the booing of any other player, how is it different from the amount of booing Sam Mitchell has received this year from opposition fans? Or that the umpires cop week in week out? If Sam Mitchell came out and said that the booing from crowds had affected him in some way I doubt this kind of action would have occurred, no one would be calling a race card then. Racism does not just exisit in people of colour the very fact that a white player can be booed for their actions but a player of colour cannot be to me is racist in itself. Goodes is no differnt from any other player in the league and like any other player he is not liked by all, most players will be booed at some stage pulling the race card out only creates a level of separation.

Now I am not saying that any player should be called an ape or be told to go back to the zoo, such comments as those are not ok and should be dealt with harshly, but booing is not racisit is happens to all players in he game no matter their colour even more so if they have done something to bring about a reaction.

I am completely in awe about how far this has gone in the media, and I simply can't understand how it can be ok for every other player to get booed for whatever reason and those players deal with it and do not get the level of attention that this has received.
I booed Goodes too. I was like you. Thinking I was just booing a flog, and how dare the AFL tell me who I can and can't boo.

Problem is, it's become apparent over the last week, and reading Facebook posts, forum posts and listening to talkback that there really is some people in amongst the booers who actually do have an issue with an Aboriginal person having a voice, and bringing up the past.

No doubt, some people want to boo him because they don't like the way he plays( like you and I), but it's a fact now that a fair number of the boo's are actually people who don't like the outspoken Aboriginal who got rewarded for standing up to racial vilification.

Unfortunately, there really is a racist angle to some of the booing of Adam Goodes and that's why it needs to stop, completely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I booed Goodes too. I was like you. Thinking I was just booing a flog, and how dare the AFL tell me who I can and can't boo.

Problem is, it's become apparent over the last week, and reading Facebook posts, forum posts and listening to talkback that there really is some people in amongst the booers who actually do have an issue with an Aboriginal person having a voice, and bringing up the past.

No doubt, some people want to boo him because they don't like the way he plays( like you and I), but it's a fact now that a fair number of the boo's are actually people who don't like the outspoken Aboriginal who got rewarded for standing up to racial vilification.

Unfortunately, there really is a racist angle to some of the booing of Adam Goodes and that's why it needs to stop, completely.

I can see where you're coming from Echols, and as I don't get to games now, whether I boo or cheer is irrelevant. However, I started going to watch the Hawks in the mid 40s, and booed the vilians (opposition} and cheered the heroes (Hawks.) I would always applaud good play, and spectacular marks from either side.

Does Gil want all the booing to cease, or only that which is directed at Adam Goodes?

Media has always pushed agendas. Since year zero. They had much more power before the internet, because they were the voice. The authority.

The internet has had a profound democratising effect on media. It has also changed the notion of what journalism is/was in much the same way.

Pick up the Herald Sun these days. It's not a newspaper anymore. or at least a newspaper as we once knew. Almost every article is more akin to a light content piece.

And content is a voracious beast. People want it all the time, across multiple devices, various channels. And they want it fresh. So the best sort of content is self-gemerating, which 'invites' people into the conversation (Once we published stories, now we start conversations). The imperative isn't on accuracy or quality but first to market and feeding that content beast.

Having been inside these media organisations, and now dealing with them in a different professional capacity these days, the notion of them ochestrating any sort of 'masterplan', co-ordinating any kind of agenda with other parties makes me chuckle. They are run ragged just trying to continually reinvent themselves and feed their consumers.

Anyway, I muse.

Muse away..by mere fact..In a sense we are the media and the medium..right here. As Marshall McLuhan stated ..The medium is the message.

Folks - Please just accept the bold comments above. It couldn't be any more cut and dried than this.
Regardless of whether you like him or hate him - if you want to defend the right to boo him - you are complicit in the breeding of racism whether you see yourself are one or not.

Last edited:
Muse away..by mere fact..In a sense we are the media and the medium..right here. As Marshall McLuhan stated ..The medium is the message.

Glocalisation is where it's at!

Culturally speaking, I reckon the internet has changed the world mroe rapidly and more profoundly thatn just about anything else.

The effect it's had on every aspect of our lives, from business to social to romantic to power structures is phenomenal.

And change is happening so fast, you kind of don't know it's happened unless you're taking notice or it's pointed out.

Folks - Please just accept the bold comments above. It couldn't be any more cut and dried than this.
Regardless of whether you like him or hate him - if you want to defend the right to boo him - you are complicit in the breeding of racism whether you see yourself are one or not.
Wrong wrong wrong.

I agree with echols on so much of what he said in his post, but

It is RACIST and patronising to single out a person and say you can't boo him because he is a different race to the people you CAN boo.

It smacks of "They're a happy folk aren't they? Don't they sing so well? And they dance so beautifully with all their clever little designs on their faces. It's amazing how they survived in this harsh environment. Gee and they learned to read as well. So clever."

Either all the booing stops for every one, or it doesn't. Patronising someone by protecting them purely because of their race is racist.

Imagine two kids come to school and one doesn't do his homework and the teacher yells at him and gives him some mark against his name. Another kid comes in late and the teacher asks for his home work and he hasn't done it either, but it's OK, because of how difficult it is for him at home.

the first kid is white the second is aboriginal. The teacher is a racist. Regardless of the fact that the second kid is the child of two doctors, and the first tried to do his homework on the back of a napkin in a bar while his single mum was pole dancing.

Personally I think people should think about why they boo in the first place and whether it makes the world a better environment by doing so.

If you leave this world in a better state than it was when you entered it, you have made a positive contribution to it.

Does booing achieve this?

Goodes' race, your race, my race they are irrelevant. The only thing we should be considering is "Is booing right or wrong" Goodes is irrelevant.

I can see where you're coming from Echols, and as I don't get to games now, whether I boo or cheer is irrelevant. However, I started going to watch the Hawks in the mid 40s, and booed the vilians (opposition} and cheered the heroes (Hawks.) I would always applaud good play, and spectacular marks from either side.

Does Gil want all the booing to cease, or only that which is directed at Adam Goodes?
I would think Gil and others are well aware that the booing of Goodes can be seen from many angles, one of which being racism, unlike those booing Boomer, SJ, Ballantyne etc.

It may only be a small minority who boo due to his race, but it's still there.

That's why they've taken a stand.

I would think Gil and others are well aware that the booing of Goodes can be seen from many angles, one of which being racism, unlike those booing Boomer, SJ, Ballantyne etc.

It may only be a small minority who boo due to his race, but it's still there.

That's why they've taken a stand.

In my opinion, it's a massive over-reaction, and instead of properly analysing the situation, they took a knee jerk reaction.

Hypothetically, what would happen if the next time we played in Sydney, Cyril got a similar reception to Goodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back