Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

I will say this. The way that he was treated by some of the fans was absolutely disgraceful. But I think we can take pride in the way that the AFL handled the situation. The condemnation of the booing and the support of Adam Goodes was unequivocal - from the CEO of the AFL, to the Swans and Eagles executives, players and coaches, to other AFL coaches and his fellow players, to commentators who called the games.
Really? You haven't been following closely. What did Hawthorn and Collingwood do? How long did it take the AFL to do something.? Fremantle were hugely better than WCE in their public disavowal of the racist behaviour.

372 games - Really it says it all. I have total respect and admiration for Adam for what he has done on and off the field and football in general will be the poorer however the community will be better.

I find this 1960's ideology that we appear to have lurched back to deeply upsetting but that's for another time.

All the best Adam and I hope you remain an active voice in the community.

Im gutted and angry that we didnt have a chance to farewell him in a proper manner, because of idiots from other clubs. more gutted about Goodes than i am about losing. i could probably go on a 6 page rant, but this is not the place. i hate people some times and i hate the main board BF population.

as someone else said on this thread, his game in 2003 v PA was his best game IMO. people forget how good he was that year in particular. if he had support that year(damm injury to Ball), we would have won the premiership. it is also great that he left he was still clearly in the best 22. his last couple of weeks have been fantastic. really turned it around from the beginning of the year.

"come with the moment, come with the champion"

I literally stood in my lounge room and applauded Goodes on the official news of his retirement. He was one of those very special players on the field who could literally play anywhere and shine. Silky skills, athletic, smart footballer who inspired both on and off the field.

Congrats Adam and all the best for the future.

Congratulations to Adam Goodes on a brilliant career. It was a pleasure to follow a team that had a rivalry with the Swans when he was arguably at his best. I reckon his performance in the 2012 GF was sensational - on-field leadership and a goal after injuring his knee.

Not all fans of West Coast support the perennial booing of this champion. It was a shame that his final year was tarnished with that saga. But true footy fans will remember his execution of those silky skills, often at a blistering pace. The fact that he played in the ruck early in his career as well as a variety of utility/forward/mid roles throughout another decade is testament to the quality of his innate football brain and durability.

Always sad to see a legend go. Respect :thumbsu:
Still angry at him for the 2003 QF where his clearance/midfield work virtually single-handedly destroyed us in the first half. For a while last night it looked like he might have North fans feeling the same way.
I always think the game won't be the same when someone of his standing goes. But of course once the next season comes along there are new heroes, we're a bit fickle that way.

I had the privilege to watch Goodsey play in his 300th game live down here in Tassie and rip Hawthorn a new one.

A true legend of the game. Probably surpasses Skilton as the greatest Swan ever.

Farewell Goodsey and well done on a great career, you are a hero to us all.

I came down for that game. Met some Swans fans seeing their first live game in years. What a carnival that was. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
For Goodes sake, it's probably just as well you guys lost last night. The Eagles fans would have gone after him next week, and it would have been a dreadful way to bow out, assuming you lost. There was even a bit of it with the North supporters last night, and that was bad enough.

Love is a word often thrown around about players from their supporters. Generally, it's only sort of true. For the most part as a supporter you're really just 'in love' with how a player contributes to the team. You never usually know that much about a player personally. And often that 'love' only lasts as long as the onfield performances do.

But Goodes is without doubt loved.

I just hope he knows that in his heart. This country and this code has a long way to go. But we're not a lost a cause. And Adam done more than most to ensure that happens.

His accolades are as long as that vertical leap he first employed when he came up here as a intriguing tall defender that didn't quite fit anywhere on the field.

Any supporter reading these boards, or discovering Goodes only now in the tail end of his career, should think back on the level he achieved in his prime. He won a Brownlow as a ruckman. And then after injuring his knee, he went on to win another Brownlow as a midfielder.

In 2005/2006 the best player in football was Chris Judd. Like Goodes, his career longevity meant some have forgotten the level Judd achieved as a player. For those who've forgotten, Judd was as Ablett is now. He was the best player without a doubt in the world in our great game. And Goodes played on him consistently in head-to-head, class-to-class matchups. Adam was that good. Watching two Premiership coaches rolling the dice and playing Judd vs Goodes was truly a privilege to behold.

You never beat Goodes in his day. You just sort of had to redirect him to hurt you slightly less. Only the great midfielders reach that level of respect from their opponents.

He is the best Sydney Swan I've ever seen. As for his place in the history of the game, Bobby Skilton rates him the best South/Sydney Swans player he's ever seen. And I hold Bobby's opinion in the highest regard. That would put him easily as one of the greatest in the game's long history full stop.

I'll be bringing my kids up teaching them about Goodes and what he stood for until I die.

Respect.

Thank you, Adam.

Last edited:
One of the club's best and game's finest, and a truly champion man.

His exit is always going to mired by the ugliness of people and football, but in some ways it just reaffirms Adam's cause. Not many football players are destined for better things, but he certainly is.

He's shouldered a lot of responsibility in his 18 years here, won us premierships from his own efforts and fighting to the bitter end in the times we didn't. 2012 and 2006 typify all the skill, brilliance and mastery of Goodes, but also the want, desire and sentiment. Captured many Swans heart's after those performances, mine included. :hearts:

It means that I've spent a bit of time feeling regret that the one time he needed us we weren't able to protect him. Not for the lack of trying, I know, but it still makes me mad.

Last edited:
In my top 3 favourite players ever, alongside Micky O and Kell, so I'm really feeling it this morning. I was able to witness his genuine care for young footballers as a teacher in a previous career. He came out to present some sports trophies and saw me training my Aussie rules teams afterwards, and then took it upon himself to come over and help the kids out in his own time. Something he didn't need to do, but he did it because as he described it to me, he always liked giving back to the sport and the community.

Thanks for being an ornament to the game Adam, you will be missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My goodness I am just shattered.

It feels wrong beyond belief that we couldn't send off someone who is possibly the greatest swan of all time.

Thinking I'll pop over to the club on Monday and put down an aboriginal flag and a thank you. Anyone else want to join? Unfortunately I think that's the only way we send him off. I think he'll forego the motorcade.

Well done to Adam Goodes. The true football supporters will always hold his achievements in high esteem. And well done to Rhyce Shaw as well. Proof that a strong culture can get the best out of individuals.

Congratulations to Goodes on a magnificent career and commiserations to Swans fans on his retirement and the loss the last night. As much as you try to celebrate their career, it's always a bit sad and hollow when a champ bows out after being a pillar of your club for so long, and knowing you'll never see them in action ever again.

I can't think of another Swan who came close to leaving a footprint as big. Maybe those South legends, Bob Skilton and Bob Pratt. Barry Round ruled for over 300 plus games at South Melbourne and Sydney. Paul Kelly during tough times in the 90s. Plugger was huge for a few years. Goodesy probably stands above them all for transcending the sport at a national level and delivering two flags.

I thought he was finished last year and was worried that he'd gone on for one year too long, but he played some great footy in his final season. Despite being on a losing team last night, he went out with his head held high. You can't say that about all 300 game champions.

Well played, Adam.

It's unfortunate that there'll likely be idiots in the crowd who won't be able to control the baser parts of their natures. That means you're probably right, and he won't do it. He does deserve the lap, though.
The "lap of honour" on Grand Final day is overrated. It's just pre-match padding because they no longer play the Under 19's and Reserves Grand Finals.

It's a chance for Grand final bandwagoners, scenesters and corporates, plus the AFL members and MCC members to give perfunctory applause to the handful of retiring opposition stars.

What about the people who really matter?

Goodes should walk a lap of honour around the SCG before round 1 next year (or half time) and take in 10 minutes of sustained applause from the people who loved him the most and cheered him for the past 17 years.

What an outstanding career, Adam Goodes. His accomplishments speak for themselves.

After this year, my respect for a lot of football fans has reduced. Thank you Adam for staying strong and speaking your mind. You always had my support and you have been an inspiration for a lot of people and will continue to be.

Good luck in the future! You will be missed.

image.jpg

I had an inkling that he was retiring when he quickly walked off the field between Reg and Ted after they had chaired Shaw off the ground. I didn't mention it to the people I was at the game with, because I knew it would probably break their hearts so soon after our season ended.

Goodes is the best to have played in the red and white. With absolutely no disrespect to all the other champions of our club, he stands tall above them all. Congratulations on a very special career, Goodesy!

One of my favourite moments was the standing ovation at the 7 minute mark of the 3rd quarter earlier this year. That was spine-chilling stuff and about much more than just football - the show of solidarity amongst the Swans fan to show support for such a legend was incredibly uplifting. Obviously there are plenty of football memories as well (too many to count), but that one will live on with me for a long, long time.

We're all very privileged to have watched his career in the flesh. In 50 years' time, people are going to compare the greats of the day with players like Goodes and us old-timers will all smugly recount watching one of his myriad of game-breaking turns.

#37 - You bloody legend!!!!

An icon of the modern game.
Great footballer and admirable Australian who endured disgraceful treatment which displayed a truly pernicious aspect of our national character.
Loved his career and the game will certainly be the lesser for his departure.Played great footy right to the last.
Thanks champ.

The most infuriating thing about the whole goodes debacle is that when you ask people why you actually dont like him, you get " ughhh um ahhhh he plays for frees"

Yet criminal drug addicts like ben cousins got a standing ovation from 43000 people and made out like a hero when he made his "triumphant" return.

Words cannot adequately describe my contempt for the people who have forced this legend out of the game

I can't believe he has retired. It's really hard to believe. Such a champion of the game. Future Hall Of Famer and Legend of the game.

Don't know who will ever wear his number again but it'll be weird seeing someone else wear it

Great champion of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back