Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the Gold Coast game, Goodes touches the ball, a germ behind me starts beating his chest like a gorilla and boos. I gave him an absolute serve and asked why are you doing that, no comeback, disappeared. People around us looked shocked someone stood up against that sort of behaviour. Ireland's statement is commendable but is 12 months too late, have left the guy out to dry when it's all too late.

Ireland's statement is commendable but is 12 months too late, have left the guy out to dry when it's all too late.

Longmire commented that they've had discussions about the best way to handle the situation as a club all throughout the year and I would assume Adam would have had the final word on that so I don't know if we can single out people at the club for not speaking up sooner.

Longmire commented that they've had discussions about the best way to handle the situation as a club all throughout the year and I would assume Adam would have had the final word on that so I don't know if we can single out people at the club for not speaking up sooner.
I agree with you on Adams stance on the final word, problem is this has been going on longer than this season, the GF for me was, besides the result the worst experience ever at a game because of the crowd

Even now I still don't know what to do with the situation. I'm skeptical that the booing will stop.
I too am not confident it's going away anytime soon. Too many bogans just think it's a bit of a lark now and will think they're channelling the Anzacs in Cairo.

But we can hope it's a watershed moment, all the while feeling for poor Adam, and while it is playing out, post messages of support for him on BF and social media (and TOTALLY IGNORE the dickhead responses - I for one am sick of arguing with morons and I now realise the one bright spot in their gnarled existences is that anyone would acknowledge their comment, and I will no longer give them that meagre validation), and send messages of support to him via the club.

Even now I still don't know what to do with the situation. I'm skeptical that the booing will stop.

Every time it's mentioned in the media it seems to get worse. Will most likely be the case again now. You can't educate these idiots and you can't physically stop them from doing it so I don't know what the answer is.

Let's just look at this little bit.

Adam is not the only guy. There are legions arguing the same.

And as for the first bit, how is that working out for them hmm? It would appear the cunning tactic that 15,000 or so people got together on the weekend and concocted over tea and scones pre game sort of backfired a tad.

I have been over the rest. I am a free speech absolutist. Not much more I can add. If you want to pick and choose freedoms and say BUT anywhere near the words free and speech you sort of deserve what ultimately follows.

Just when are finished choosing stuff do me one favour, please don't call them rights. They aren't. They are just some social construct that suits some people at this point in time.
Why are you even bringing up free speech? This issue has nothing to do with free speech. AFL games are private events. They could decide to kick out everyone who boos and it wouldn't be a violation of free speech.

No one is calling for these people to be arrested. No one is even calling for them to be kicked out. People are just asking people to stop performing what has become a clearly racially motivated action: the mass booing of Goodes. That's not to say that each individual is racially motivated, but when you put it all together it's pretty clear.

Just because someone has freedom of speech (and I completely agree on its importance) it does not mean that someone is free from judgement or even reprisal (not in a violent sense) obviously in the private sphere. That's all that is happening here.

Every time it's mentioned in the media it seems to get worse. Will most likely be the case again now. You can't educate these idiots and you can't physically stop them from doing it so I don't know what the answer is.
Educate the younger generation and wait for the yobos to die off

Well said MF, I get sick of the soft bandwagon element having a crack at Victorians
Wow. How do you know wher my support for the sydney swans football club is derived from. Very quick to label there mate.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

Miranda Devine's article today was not good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have registered to just say a few things if I may. I have read all the comments on this thread.
I saw Bobby Skilton play at the Lakeside Oval and I have had such a fortunate life so much so for that experience. Walking, hurrying with my Dad who worked on Saturday morning, catching the tram and picking up pace as we got closer to the ground. Hearing the crowd watching the reserves. The smell of the hot donuts. Filing in and finally in. Watching the inevitable defeats.
I also saw Elkin Reilly play and remember the abuse and racism. I remember my Dad arguing. Give him a go Dad would say.
I moved to Sydney and my team followed me. Broke Dad's heart that they moved from South.
Followed them on the ups and downs.
I want Adam Goodes to know this. Maybe someone will pass this on.
These days I attend a Congolese church. They are all refugees. The boys play soccer.
But the kids. They all love Adam Goodes. They know and understand what Adam is doing. Yes and they hear the monkey noises when they go out. You see they just don't hear it. They feel it. Adam Goodes is a champion. Not just on a football field. Today I am so proud of my football club.

One bad thing out of this shameful episode is the redneck nuff nuffs coming out of the woodwork and flood talkback radio, and the comments section of the newspapers, Facebook , Bigfooty etc. Why aren't there more comments/calls supporting Goodes ?! It has gotten to the stage where i just switch off when SEN or some other radio stations open their lines up, and i just ignore comments on Facebook etc.

I have registered to just say a few things if I may. I have read all the comments on this thread.
I saw Bobby Skilton play at the Lakeside Oval and I have had such a fortunate life so much so for that experience. Walking, hurrying with my Dad who worked on Saturday morning, catching the tram and picking up pace as we got closer to the ground. Hearing the crowd watching the reserves. The smell of the hot donuts. Filing in and finally in. Watching the inevitable defeats.
I also saw Elkin Reilly play and remember the abuse and racism. I remember my Dad arguing. Give him a go Dad would say.
I moved to Sydney and my team followed me. Broke Dad's heart that they moved from South.
Followed them on the ups and downs.
I want Adam Goodes to know this. Maybe someone will pass this on.
These days I attend a Congolese church. They are all refugees. The boys play soccer.
But the kids. They all love Adam Goodes. They know and understand what Adam is doing. Yes and they hear the monkey noises when they go out. You see they just don't hear it. They feel it. Adam Goodes is a champion. Not just on a football field. Today I am so proud of my football club.
You beauty, good on you. Happy to find this one

What was it ? gave her a fair spray on a FB message and that b@@@@ Panahi has a s**t read in the Herald-Sun

Just said that only Goodes can stop the booing by apologising

One bad thing out of this shameful episode is the redneck nuff nuffs coming out of the woodwork and flood talkback radio, and the comments section of the newspapers, Facebook , Bigfooty etc. Why aren't there more comments/calls supporting Goodes ?! It has gotten to the stage where i just switch off when SEN or some other radio stations open their lines up, and i just ignore comments on Facebook etc.
There seems to be a common theme on FB, the worst seem to be women or Hawks

Haha, looks like Mark Robinson is pissed off with Rita Panahi ,,,

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dont pray for me <a href="https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi">@RitaPanahi</a> .... Don&#39;t even talk to me</p>&mdash; Mark Robinson (@Robbo_heraldsun) <a href="">July 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This whole thing is s**t house and reflects badly on our nation.

Ken Burns the Civil War guy did a great documentary about Jack Johnson called "Unforgiveable Blackness" how white people have a hard time accepting an assertive black man.

Also people forget that prior to the rumble in the jungle whitey hated Ali because he was "divisive" but they loved Joe Lewis because he never mentioned the 400 years of oppression that African Americans had been through and did all the nice patriotic things during the war.

What I find incredible is that the "I'm not a racist but" callers list that (1) he was Australian of the Year; (2) he pointed out that young girl for calling him an ape (it is unquestionably established that he had no idea how young she was when she did it) and (3) that he said that watching "Utopia" made him feel ashamed about being Australian as reasons for not liking him - astonishing the lack of insight some callers have.

Seriously disappointed with Brereton - surely someone whose parents come from Ireland would realise about the legacy of oppression. Anyway just wanted to let you know that we are with the Sydney supporters - if he retires because of this it is an indictment on our nation. BTW pretty good article on the Drum for your edification: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-...goodes-are-we-even-aware-were-racists/6653108

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Docherty: Adam Goodes is a champion of the game. From a player&#39;s perspective, I&#39;d love to see the booing of him stop.</p>&mdash; Carlton FC (carltonfc) <a href="">July 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Remove this Banner Ad

Back