Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing personal about our Board specifically, but I've been on a self imposed exile from Bigfooty this year as I decided to step back and take a breath.

It seems there's been a poisoning of the well over the last few years. I've felt the culture of footy changing around me. The whole AFL experience is coming apart and I'm not alone in sensing that.

And it's not the look of the game - which seems to be this month's hobby-horse. I actually enjoy modern footy immensely.

For me the mood around COLA, Trade bans, having some prominent Victorian club presidents effectively bullying me on a weekly basis in click-baiting drives from the pulpits their respective media outlets (how it feels sometimes), the disgraceful anti-Academy political movement which mocks the future of the code itself, the hypocrisy of the so-called 'Equalisation' policies, the general quality of the AFL media and its hopelessly compromised, agenda driven tropes, and the sense I have that the AFL commission itself is so lost in its search for the mystical 'heartland' that they have succumbed to what look like an anti-Sydney agenda from some sectors of the industry as a whole....

...all of it.

And that's just if you're a Swans' supporter. Throw in the ASADA scandal, the rise of recreational drug use in the code and all the rest and we really are seeing a whole lot of supporters under siege by the bad news the code they love the most has started to generate on a weekly basis.

I've lived with it. Laughed at it. Become angry at it. Shaken my head. That's fine. That's footy. We all move on, and at least on the weekend there's a game to enjoy.

And, hey this is all cyclical right? Carlton fans would have hated the decade after the cap infringements. Eagles fans would have hated the decline at their club after their series of scandals. North fans would have hated the relocation discussion. South supporters would have felt the same in the 80's. All supporters are inevitably destined to cop this stuff, so I'll endeavor not to be precious about it.

But nothing...NOTHING...in all my years following AR has been more disappointing than the way Goodes has been treated.

If we let Goodes go out like this, I no longer have a positive argument left for bothering anymore.

It's not hyperbole. If we let Goodes be bullied out of one of the greatest careers of the century over this rubbish, this will become a moment future generations of AFL supporters will look back upon forever in disgust.

We all rallied around the Crows this year after their tragedy. It was a great moment in our game - which gives me hope. It's time the same level of gravity was applied to this racism issue.

Personally, I'd like to have 18 club presidents and 17 opposition captains stand arm in arm forming a race for Goodes to clap him onto this field this week (if we can convince him to even play again).

But will that, or something as poignant as that happen? Or will we just succumb to the media cycle again, and let the haters drive this issue apart after a couple of days when the roaches come out and articles start dropping from the Bolts and the Divines of this world, and then the radio shock jocks will become emboldended again to reignite the victim blaming all over again?

Get it right, Aussie Rules. Get it right NOW. Enough said.

Peace.

Brereton is a racist from way back.

That is seriously disappointing then - the absolute arrow in the heart of the "its not racist its because he is a sniper and diver" argument is Tadhg Kennelly saying he played with him for twelve years and never heard him being booed" - no ******* credibility you booing campaigners

What pisses me off the most about the attacks on him about the 13 year old girl is that I was at that game, the whole crowd and even Collingwood supporters cheered when she got evicted from the crowd. The media applauded Goodes for it. And then they find out that she's a 13 year old girl and now it's wrong because she's young and didn't know better? I guess she can get away with murder then if she doesn't know better because she's too young.

I'm not having a go at the girl here, I'm having a go at the sheer hypocrisy of it all from the public.

Not a single boo and the "he's a flog" argument is dead and buried

So how about you show some concern about all those dickheads on the MB who are policing Goodesy's thoughts?

Unbelievable the s**t I've read over there that Adam is supposed to have said.

And every time I call BS and ask for evidence it either simply gets completely ignored (because people aren't going to bother with inconveniences like actual truth in their rush to boost their low self-esteem by bagging Goodesey), or I get called a pedantic librarian.

Don't go there is the simple answer. Might have a look but if it just a case of he said this so nah nah nah what is the point? And that is not policing thought - that is just making s**t up. If it is what you say that is nothing to do with what I am saying at all.

What pisses me off the most about the attacks on him about the 13 year old girl is that I was at that game, the whole crowd and even Collingwood supporters cheered when she got evicted from the crowd. The media applauded Goodes for it. And then they find out that she's a 13 year old girl and now it's wrong because she's young and didn't know better? I guess she can get away with murder then if she doesn't know better because she's too young.

I'm not having a go at the girl here, I'm having a go at the sheer hypocrisy of it all from the public.

He said he did not know she was that young and then he said he would not have been so forceful about it if he did know. What more does that bastard have to do!!!

I heard a woman on talk back yesterday say she "did not know calling an aboriginal person an ape was offensive" - and then that dickhead at Subi says the "he did not mean to be racist when he said "Get back in the zoo" and that PC has gone mad". It is at the stage now when I seriously doubt that I have understood what the apologists have to say. YOU JUST CANNOT MAKE THIS s**t UP!!!!

Dude, what in the HELL are you talking about? No one is policing s**t. Adelaide supporters who boo Goodes on the weekend will be absolutely free to do so. They will not, however, be free from people assuming they are doing so for either racist, racist-enabling or hurtful reasons and verbally confronting them about it. That's the essence of free speech.

FFS say or do whatever you want but you don't get to police people's response to your awful behaviour.

You mustn't have been keeping up on current events because they will NOT be free to boo. They have been pre-judged and are labelled as racist if they do so and they haven't even done it yet!

What if he elbows Tex in the head. Can they boo then?

I really don't think you get the concept of the private mind and policing of same.

Speech free absolutist drawing the line at when everyone booing Goodesy is called racist?
Kinda arbitrary line you are drawing there.

I have no idea what this means.

Not sure I ever drew any line. I am pains to say I am against arbitrary lines everywhere that are moveable on a whim.

The fact that not everyone that boos him is not a racist in any sense of the word sort of renders your comment moot wouldn;t you say?

I don't see this as an issue of rights. It's an issue of character.

Do we as Australians have the character to show Respect to the original owners? Do we as Australians have the character to see the truth of our own history?

The aboriginal community have made a stand around Respect and Adam Goodes is standing right in the firing line of the public backlash. There is nothing that can stop this now, as it is a conversation that the country has to have.

Now we are getting somewhere.

This is the crux of it.

Western liberal democracy relies a lot on subtle public mannerisms and norms. That is all we should be asking/demanding or whatever it is. There are ways to act in polite society and ways not to. Remind people of these things over and over again and make them reflect on that.

Creating too many different groups and differentiations with rules and threats will not do a lot - hence the last few months.

david%2Bpope.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mustn't have been keeping up on current events because they will NOT be free to boo. They have been pre-judged and are labelled as racist if they do so and they haven't even done it yet!

I really don't think you get the concept of the private mind and policing of same.
The essence of free speech is a right to respond to speech with speech. You're the only one policing people around here, telling them they have no right to react negatively to negative behaviour by painting them as pseudo-fascists.

If I want to believe or say that people that continue to boo Goodes are racists or racist-enablers that's my right.

I have the utmost respect for Adam Goodes and I feel terrible that the constant, unwarranted abuse directed at him may cause him to leave the game. He is a champion footballer and a strong role model for Indigenous Australians who forces people to look inward and address ugly truths that they would rather stay hidden.

I'm sure some people who boo him aren't doing so because they are racist, but because they are part of a mob mentality. It's a sad reflection on society when it is more socially acceptable to boo someone than it is to stand against the abusers. I hope that this doesn't break Goodes because I feel like he has a lot more to give, but I can understand why this may be the last we see of him as a footballer.

The essence of free speech is a right to respond to speech with speech. You're the only one policing people around here, telling them they have no right to react negatively to negative behaviour by painting them as pseudo-fascists.

If I want to believe or say that people that continue to boo Goodes are racists or racist-enablers that's my right.

Oh dear. You really do not understand any of this do you.

Respect your different opinion but I'm struggling to grasp what you're getting at.

The act of booing Goodes every time he touches the ball systematically and aggressively has been deemed by our president and others in the football community as racist. It doesn't mean that people at the game don't have the freedom to boo, it just means that other people may perceive them as racist. People still can act however they like but they need to understand that some actions will influence other people's perception negatively and reflect poorly on their image and character.

People have the freedom to boo and others have the freedom to denounce what they think is poor behavior.

As supporter off an opposition club always disliked you guys, but had admiration how you went about your footy and the running of your club. Well done to the club and his close family for turning Adam into the outstanding person he has become and leader of his people. Hope he stays tough enough to see this out. Good luck.:thumbsu:

Now we are getting somewhere.

This is the crux of it.

Western liberal democracy relies a lot on subtle public mannerisms and norms. That is all we should be asking/demanding or whatever it is. There are ways to act in polite society and ways not to. Remind people of these things over and over again and make them reflect on that.

Creating too many different groups and differentiations with rules and threats will not do a lot - hence the last few months.
My naive hope is that at some point Australian's will become interested in aboriginal wisdom. They have an extremely successful heritage and we have a lot to learn from them.

As supporter off an opposition club always disliked you guys, but had admiration how you went about your footy and the running of your club. Well done to the club and his close family for turning Adam into the outstanding person he has become and leader of his people. Hope he stays tough enough to see this out. Good luck.:thumbsu:

How many dual Brownlow medalists have their been - his career has been an ornament to himself, to his people and to his sport. Might have dived a bit and sunk the knees in occassionally but does that discount everything else - I think not

How many dual Brownlow medalists have their been - his career has been an ornament to himself, to his people and to his sport. Might have dived a bit and sunk the knees in occassionally but does that discount everything else - I think not
It apparently does when you add it with standing up to racism

My naive hope is that at some point Australian's will become interested in aboriginal wisdom. They have an extremely successful heritage and we have a lot to learn from them.

NZ have done a better job of incorporating indiginous culture into their national culture. The easiest way of doing it to incorporate white fellas into the attachment to land and the dreaming - a lot of farmers have been doing it for years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back