Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy s**t this has been a trying week of being not only a Swans supporter but a supporter of Goodesy in general.

It's almost feels like if you support Goodesy then you are un-Australian the way people have been carrying on. All you need to do is share a post about him or change you profile picture or cover photo of to Goodesy on Facebook and you are suddenly the enemy. I can't even leave the house with any Swans gear on without someone having their two bobs worth and it get's me soo riled up to the point where I'm nearly in tears.

I guess it's harder in Tasmania where a majority of the state is still stuck in the 1950's.

Not trying to get people to fell sorry for me, just need a place to vent.

Lot of people un-friended this week. People that I have worked with, went to school with to even sadly Swans supporters. Don't need my Facebook feed filled with their s**t

I must be the complete opposite. I am surprised that so many people are so quick to seize anything that supports their view and disregard or attack anything that doesn't. I'd certainly never defriend anyone just because they disagreed with me on a topic.

That definitely isn't exclusively Goodes related, it applies to so many topics. I haven't posted a single thing about the Goodes saga all week either here or on social media.

someone fills out the nomination form? not the people

Anyone can nominate who they like for AOTY. Nominations get handed to each state and territory's Australia Day Council to pick the winner for that State/Territory. The AOTY is then selected by the National Australia Day Council from the 8 State and Territory winners.

Simple three step process

Adam was nominated, the NSW Australia Day Council selected him as their state winner and the National Body did likewise from 8 candidates.

Anyone can nominate who they like for AOTY. Nominations get handed to each state and territory's Australia Day Council to pick the winner for that State/Territory. The AOTY is then selected by the National Australia Day Council from the 8 State and Territory winners.

Simple three step process

Adam was nominated, the NSW Australia Day Council selected him as their state winner and the National Body did likewise from 8 candidates.

that still doesnt answer the question of who? i thought someone might know, was it his family, an organisation etc

I must be the complete opposite. I am surprised that so many people are so quick to seize anything that supports their view and disregard or attack anything that doesn't. I'd certainly never defriend anyone just because they disagreed with me on a topic.

I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me on the issue. What I do have a problem with is being chastised by those same people that disagree with me and can't even agree to disagree with me but flat out tell me my opinion is wrong and that I'm a dickhead for backing Goodes.

that still doesnt answer the question of who? i thought someone might know, was it his family, an organisation etc

Well considering your pushing this....

it was no surprise that Goodes was selected as Australian of the Years when 4 of the 8 board members at the time (with Gilchrist as the gullible figurehead) Jason Glanville, Shelley Reys, Samina Yasmeen & Tim Soutphommasane all have a long history of working in indigenous affairs, left wing credentials and in creating the policy for the stolen generation. You would think if Gilchrist was the chair then he would have the final say but i think you will find that he was only the spokesman and not the decision maker. It would also be very interesting to know who exactly nominated Adam Goodes in the first place, i wouldnt be surprised at all if one of these 4 people pushed the agenda from the very beginning. If the 2013 board were reflective of Australia as a whole then i'll go heave. Without looking into it i would suspect the Labor government at the time had a lot to do with the composition of the 2013 board.

the question should be asked was Goodes parachuted into the position or was there a genuine process taken place

A genuine process took place, the NSW panel was selected by the NSW Premier (a Liberal - my god a member of the Right Wing) and the 2013/14 Panel was cleared by the Prime Minister of the Day for the selection between Nov 2013 and Jan 2014 Tony Abbott. So you can't get any more right wing than that. So that you drivel else where

I saw a bloke outside the gates with a sign asking people to stand and clap during the 7th minute of the 3rd to show support for Goodesy, and I cynically thought... this will never take off. I hadn't heard that this was on the cards, tbh. It was a nice surprise to see the majority of the crowd got into it. Even if they didn't know what was going on they picked it up fairly quickly and got involved.

You could see on the big screens that they panned around the crowd so I'm guessing that reflected the telecast to some extent. Was it something that was easy to pick up during the game?

Was a pretty special moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a bloke outside the gates with a sign asking people to stand and clap during the 7th minute of the 3rd to show support for Goodesy, and I cynically thought... this will never take off. I hadn't heard that this was on the cards, tbh. It was a nice surprise to see the majority of the crowd got into it. Even if they didn't know what was going on they picked it up fairly quickly and got involved.

You could see on the big screens that they panned around the crowd so I'm guessing that reflected the telecast to some extent. Was it something that was easy to pick up during the game?

Main board is bitching it about so I assume it was.

Dees all wore red, black and yellow wristbands.... Jones raised his above his head and pointed it out to the crowd after kicking the clincher.... love this game :)

Yes it was huge on telly.

I got a little bit emotional at the start of the game during the now customary 60 second countdown to the bounce, as the crowd stood and applauded while images of Goodes appeared on the big screen. After all the negativity of the past few weeks, the simple act of the crowd showing support for one of its favourite players reminded me why I love this game.

Last edited:
Hopefully the Sydney crowd's response will be reported overseas as well.

Amazing vibe at the ground. You could hear chips frying behind the stands when opposition players had set shots. Probably a once off, but that lack of booing was a statement from the fans as well which might be overlooked.

Amazing vibe at the ground. You could hear chips frying behind the stands when opposition players had set shots. Probably a once off, but that lack of booing was a statement from the fans as well which might be overlooked.

Great stuff from your club. Also with Adelaide, anyone who boos them this year is completely heartless. Hopefully Goodes is back on the field next week.

It was definitely noticeable, even the umpires didn't seem to cop as much stick but that might have been because we were getting a pretty good run from them.

It was definitely noticeable, even the umpires didn't seem to cop as much stick but that might have been because we were getting a pretty good run from them.
Yeah I can't remember getting a better deal from the umpiring in quite a while

Remove this Banner Ad

Back