Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

On a positive note. Goodes is getting better and better with every game. His speed off the burst is too hot for any opponent to stay with him. His kicking's sublime and he can play tall or small. I'd like to see him playing more midfield if his fitness keeps improving. What the ...kind of juice did he put in those knees ? If we see the same year-long improvement we saw in 2014 he could be officially 'weapons-grade' by finals time, and he is one mother of a finals player. If he decides to go out at the end of the year he'll go out with a bang. No wonder he gets booed by opposition fans. "it's not fair...he should be dead by now" How many other teams can boast a current champ who's been playing just for them at the top level since the 20th century ? Maybe Boomer Harvey but he's not in the same league.

On a positive note. Goodes is getting better and better with every game. His speed off the burst is too hot for any opponent to stay with him. His kicking's sublime and he can play tall or small. I'd like to see him playing more midfield if his fitness keeps improving. What the ...kind of juice did he put in those knees ? If we see the same year-long improvement we saw in 2014 he could be officially 'weapons-grade' by finals time, and he is one mother of a finals player. If he decides to go out at the end of the year he'll go out with a bang. No wonder he gets booed by opposition fans. "it's not fair...he should be dead by now" How many other teams can boast a current champ who's been playing just for them at the top level since the 20th century ? Maybe Boomer Harvey but he's not in the same league.
He has a good burst of speed in a straight line, not convinced he can turn quickly though.

Keep him out of the midfield. He is an incredibly awkward "small forward" to match up on.

I will never respect the hawthorn football club. They took this issue to a new level and now every fan base in the country are joining in like sheep.

ThIs is racism and the AFL community should join forces to say - it's not ok. Instead they have hid in the gutter and what irks me the most, I am pretty sure that Eddie and his mob are happy about it.

I will never respect the hawthorn football club. They took this issue to a new level and now every fan base in the country are joining in like sheep.

It's not the club, it's the media, they shouldn't be giving it the attention that they have.

It's not the club, it's the media, they shouldn't be giving it the attention that they have.

Thats crap.

It may not be the club and I thought Lewis on 360 after the game was reasonably good (but I would actually like burgoyne and a few other leaders around that club to say a few things rather than have dermott as their public persona) but their fans are beyond feral.

Plus if anyone thinks this is the media's fault they have rocks in their heads. Its too late now. This is all pervasive. The fans across a whole range of clubs are absolutely determined to give it a go.

If I wasnt there with my 7 yo on sat night i was pretty ready to go down and give it to the whole north wing about how their hero was a bloke who sexually assaulted a girl and then shagged his best mate's missus.

It may not be the club and I thought Lewis on 360 after the game was reasonably good (but I would actually like burgoyne and a few other leaders around that club to say a few things rather than have dermott as their public persona) but their fans are beyond feral.

Plus if anyone thinks this is the media's fault they have rocks in their heads. Its too late now. This is all pervasive. The fans across a whole range of clubs are absolutely determined to give it a go.

If I wasnt there with my 7 yo on sat night i was pretty ready to go down and give it to the whole north wing about how their hero was a bloke who sexually assaulted a girl and then shagged his best mate's missus.

Fair enough, I haven't been to games in Melbourne where it's been a problem other than the grand final, and fortunately we were in a Swans bay that day, but from what I have heard, attending Swans matches in Melbourne in recent times has not been a pleasant experience.

Thats crap.

Burgoyne did say on one of the footy shows that he doesn't like it and that it should stop.
Agree with you about Dermot & Eddie, the have been on a mission to character assassinate Goodesy since he told Eddie to go fly a kite.

utmost respect for Goodsey. I believe most are just booing him now because its a fad (think planking etc..) i sincerely hope our supporters refrain from doing it next week. Sooner or later someone has to be the bigger person
I predict it will die off very soon. I have no idea who is doing the booing, nor why, but I think even idiots start to feel like idiots eventually.

Some child bogan will ask its parent bogan "why do we boo that guy when he's such a good player?" and the child bogan's bogan parent will be unable to conjure a satisfactory answer and both the child bogan and its parent bogan will sit silently, glumly, next time Goodes gets the ball as they realise that instead of taking pleasure in their good fortune at getting to watch one of the game's great champions in person, they have been merely soiling their own nest.

And thus does the the human race ever improve, in degrees too small for any existing scientific instrument to measure.

Or something like that.

ThIs is racism and the AFL community should join forces to say - it's not ok. Instead they have hid in the gutter and what irks me the most, I am pretty sure that Eddie and his mob are happy about it.

In future matches against the Hawks, the booing will reduce gradually as their crowds start to dwindle due to the retirements of, Mitchell, Hodge, Gibson & Burgoyne & they start losing more than they win.

These 4 bloke & these 4 blokes alone are what has made the Hawks so good.

They're nearly done.

Who cares about the booing, Swans supporters have taken to cheering every possession!

Didn't think at the half way mark I'd be saying this but Goodes is in fine form and if it continues isn't the certain end of year retiree I thought he was. Hell I think an earlier thread was even calling for in season retirement. Current form causes massive headaches for the opposition, looking forward to also adding Heeney to the forward line mix later in the year once his fitness returns. Heeneys presence will make Goodes even more dangerous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i actually find the people who moan about the way he plays, what he apparently gets away with etc and "undeserved brownlows" and all that crap more annoying than the booing or the race issues

Ugh i just dont know how to feel about this i feel there is nothing nobody can do and i just feel the more times it is brought up the worst it will get.

Does it make me a bad supporter to say that im tired of the whole Goodes booing ordeal.

I feel its best to let this thing die on its own, not sure Ireland comments help here :(

Doesn't make you a bad supporter just as those booing are not bad people or racist.

Hell if the AFL most msm sites and other "authority figures" told me not to something harmless then I would do it just to spite them. Especially if it involved a player of a team I don't support.

If everyone shut up about it for a few weeks it would dwindle and die down a lot of its own accord until he staged for another free, which thankfully, seems to be on the decline with him anyway. He will always be booed now regardless. All we are talking about is the extent which will be higher if spoken about and less if ignored which Goodes himself keeps emphasising.

Fair enough, I haven't been to games in Melbourne where it's been a problem other than the grand final, and fortunately we were in a Swans bay that day, but from what I have heard, attending Swans matches in Melbourne in recent times has not been a pleasant experience.
Essendon @ Etihad last year was horrendous. Serious filth were I was sitting. Handful of bogan "blokes" getting stuck into the beers (& smuggled in spirits), loudly assessing females around in comparison to their "f**kability meter" and of course, racially abusing Jetta, Buddy & Goodes at every single opportunity. I reported it but the security guards didn't want a bar of it... Pretty sure they were having a laugh along with them to be honest.

And you think the booing started at the Hawks game this year... I'm pretty sure whenever Adam went near it that night all you could hear was the sound of boo.

Really sad way to "support" really.

Essendon @ Etihad last year was horrendous. Serious filth were I was sitting. Handful of bogan "blokes" getting stuck into the beers (& smuggled in spirits), loudly assessing females around in comparison to their "f**kability meter" and of course, racially abusing Jetta, Buddy & Goodes at every single opportunity. I reported it but the security guards didn't want a bar of it... Pretty sure they were having a laugh along with them to be honest.

And you think the booing started at the Hawks game this year... I'm pretty sure whenever Adam went near it that night all you could hear was the sound of boo.

Really sad way to "support" really.

Essendon boo their own.

Goodes has been booeed for years

People hate that he won australian of the year

They never boo the scientists who win it while they work though

Exactly ... this started with Andrew Bolt and his ilk over the Australian of the Year honour, which Goodes did not publicly ask for, campaign for or in any way covet ... he was honoured for his commitment to indigenous issues and his pride in, and speaking up for, his race. His critics are horrified that he dare CONTINUE standing up for indigenous issues and pointing out facts and truths of the history of this country that vast sections of white Australia still cannot accept (very similar to the treatment of Scott McIntyre for voicing unpalatable truths about our military history), so Goodes is seen as "divisive"?
I'd argue those denying him, criticising him and trying to censor him are the ones being divisive ... and I say this being one who in the first place disagrees with the idea of elite, highly paid athletes (or actors, celebs, politicians, etc) being named something as all-encompassing as "Australian of the Year".

Now the Goodes critics are being led by McGuire, who has tried to turn the "war dance" issue into a way of deflecting his own core problems with Goodes and the Swans club, some of which are specifically linked to McGuire being caught out in his own "casual racism" moment. He said Goodes' dance was too "aggressive", "inciteful" and "not a good look", yet he and almost every former player now in the media defends any incident of on-field brutality as "nothing in it", "just a good hard bump", etc, in essence, a defence of violence. Goodes' actions were not violent ... you can argue they were several things but there was no violence.
McGuire has always made a very public, vocal display of pride in his "roots" ... Scottish (i think, certainly British) working class parents who came here and started afresh, and himself a "Broady boy made good" ... yet apparently he and so many others resent Goodes and begrudge him his pride in his own roots and family history.

One simple question to McGuire: would you have been so vehemently opposed to the "war dance" had it been performed by a Collingwood player?

I could go on about this whole subject, it's been sticking in my throat long before the booing became this weekly issue, but ... sighhhhhh ...

I don't agree.

If 50,000 people boo a champion of the game, it would be negligent if the media didn't comment on it and look for the reasons behind it.

No one else cops the same abuse.

And sorry to push the point - but it is the club. It's the culture that the club has allowed to flourish.

In Europe, clubs that foster racism are punished with empty stadiums. I would like to see the same here.

And sorry to push the point - but it is the club. It's the culture that the club has allowed to flourish.

In Europe, clubs that foster racism are punished with empty stadiums. I would like to see the same here.

which club sorry mate? Hawthorn?

Yes.
In sports that have troublemaker fans, the powers that be have taken the stance to hold clubs responsible for fan behaviour.

Ok what do you want the hawks to do in a situation where tens of thousands are booing Goodes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back