Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell them that if they keep doing it they won't be allowed to marry their sisters.

Geez you want to live in a police state?

He has a good burst of speed in a straight line, not convinced he can turn quickly though.

Keep him out of the midfield. He is an incredibly awkward "small forward" to match up on.

Did you see his side step against Gold Coast ? Changed direction running full speed and bang. It's not just a good burst of speed. Goodes was until recently our fastest over 20m and seems to have lost little of that burst speed. Hard bloke to stop once he's moving and he's moving within the blink of an eye. Don't forget he won a Brownlow as a mid. The advantage was always that his defender couldn't go with him between mid & forward.

his ability to turn was what was suffering and still is a struggle at his worst.

His defensive chasing still lacks a bit

But the role he plays currently is perfect for his twilight years and its fantastic

Ok what do you want the hawks to do in a situation where tens of thousands are booing Goodes?

I don't want them to do anything.
That doesn't mean that the club isn't responsible for the fans.
A club can encourage fans to become members, to go to games, to buy merchandise etc etc etc but they can't encourage fans to behave positively?

I don't want them to do anything.
That doesn't mean that the club isn't responsible for the fans.
A club can encourage fans to become members, to go to games, to buy merchandise etc etc etc but they can't encourage fans to behave positively?

Sorry not being snippy or disagreeing, my genuine question is if a club is responsible for its fans (i honestly dont know where to sit on that) then what should they do? What would be a positive step? A few bad eggs yeah rip up memberships in extreme cases, but im a loss how a club handles it beyond positive commentary

Sorry not being snippy or disagreeing, my genuine question is if a club is responsible for its fans (i honestly dont know where to sit on that) then what should they do? What would be a positive step? A few bad eggs yeah rip up memberships in extreme cases, but im a loss how a club handles it beyond positive commentary

I don't think a club can tell its supporters how to support but clubs should be able to encourage supporters to behave positively.
Look at what some of the North fans did last week (asking others not to boo). Yeah people still booed, but imagine if some of the Hawks fans suggested the same thing.
The biggest problem is that idiots like Dermie and Dunstall who are hero-worshipped have been encouraging fans to boo by making provocative statements. Wonder how Dermie would react if Hawthorn told him to pull his head in???

I don't think a club can tell its supporters how to support but clubs should be able to encourage supporters to behave positively.
Look at what some of the North fans did last week (asking others not to boo). Yeah people still booed, but imagine if some of the Hawks fans suggested the same thing.
The biggest problem is that idiots like Dermie and Dunstall who are hero-worshipped have been encouraging fans to boo by making provocative statements. Wonder how Dermie would react if Hawthorn told him to pull his head in???

Yeah a strong statement from a derm or dunstall would help i think, but I think the booers are here to stay, i tend to be on the it will die down naturally wagon

Yeah a strong statement from a derm or dunstall would help i think, but I think the booers are here to stay, i tend to be on the it will die down naturally wagon

The booers will eventually boo themselves out. Or they will disappear when the Hawks start sliding down the ladder & when that happens they (the club & supporters) are going to cop it from every other supporter base for the lack of grace they have displayed in their successful years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a strong statement from Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Cyril and roughie.
"We love playing against Sydney - a great rivalry built up over recent years - it's always tough.
We love our fans - but we hate the booing of Adam Goodes.
he is a champion of our game - a dual brownlow medallist and premiership player - and a proud Aboriginal.
We greatly respect who Goodesy is and how he goes about things.
Booing him is disgraceful.
We ask our fans not to do it AND to spread the word.
It is disrespectful - and puts shame on our club."

Will never happen - but a nice thought.

Just wanted to drop in and say I love Goodesy as a player and even more for what he's done on and off the field to represent his heritage and the issues facing indigenous Australians.

It's bloody shameful how he has being treated since the incident in the Collingwood game.

A great of the game and a great Aussie.
Thanks mate, nice to hear.

I've said it repeatedly on BF, this is not a Swans thing. I'd admire Goodesy regardless of who he played for.

a clip from the young turks, a channel on youtube i follow. an interesting take from the states on the incident that started it all.

It's not so much about censoring the fans, as it is about changing the culture.

Sydney has a culture built around respect. The players and the administration treat other teams with respect and the fans follow suit (for the most part).

Hawthorn is responsible for the culture of the club and the relentless booing of an aboriginal AOTY is pretty ordinary.

In Europe, they would be playing games in empty stadiums because racism is treated seriously over there. I would like to see the same here.

In Europe, they would be playing games in empty stadiums because racism is treated seriously over there. I would like to see the same here.

The booing of Goodes is s**t, and I think has an unquestionable racial element, but thankfully it is nowhere near as feral as some of what goes on in parts of southern Europe, prompting the shutouts.

The booing of Goodes is s**t, and I think has an unquestionable racial element, but thankfully it is nowhere near as feral as some of what goes on in parts of southern Europe, prompting the shutouts.
50,000 people booing. His Wikipedia page vandalized with pictures of apes. A club president and national media commentator calling him a gorilla. His position as AOTY dragged into the gutter. Literally thousands of racist comments all over social media.

Seems pretty feral to me.

In what universe is calling an aboriginal person an ape not racist???

Well, when your 13 and are confronted by a large hairy man wearing the colours of the opposition and everyone is yelling insults and booing and clapping and having a good old tribal time around you. Maybe that one?

I don't know whether she meant it as a racist slight in her heart or not. And I don't pretend to know her mind when she said it. Do you? This policing of the private mind is a disgusting blight on society.

But she was 13. I am prepared to cut her slack. Had a lot of experience with 3 thirteen year olds and they never struck me as having a nuanced view on race and the intricacies of racially colloquial terms. They were growing kids and did and said stupid things on a whim without thought or maturity or indeed of any consequence of action in mind.

Language gets co-opted for all sorts of things. I never knew ape or monkey was a racial slight until it became an issue with that Indian spinner whatshisname (ummm Harbighan?) and the Indian crowds calling Symonds a monkey and I am a hell of a lot older than 13. I thought it all bit ironic but hey......I am just an old middle class white male so by default am not allowed to point out the weirdness of it all.

But boy oh boy didn't she learn her lesson that society these days polices the private mind and puts onerous and harsh penalties for any that utter words that could be the result of badthink.

Of course she could be the Grand Wizard of the under 13 KKK Australian Chapter for all I know but again making huge assumptions as to whether some 13 old kid is racist with evil intentions and declaring what she said is always rooted in racial hatred is a tad too far for mine.

Going to watch that video when I get home and see what they say. Always like a dichotomy of views on culture. It is hard to get these days because RACIST or SEXIST or MISOGAMY or "INSERT ANY SJW/LEFTIST SCREECH FOR SHUTTING DOWN DISCUSSION" on any topic deemed closed.

Eddie is a bigger racist than the 13 year old kid

Im just tired of the anti goodes brigade saying he has no right to speak

Or im.not racist i like Michael Long

Rinse and repeat ad nauseum

Well, when your 13 and are confronted by a large hairy man wearing the colours of the opposition and everyone is yelling insults and booing and clapping and having a good old tribal time around you. Maybe that one?

I don't know whether she meant it as a racist slight in her heart or not. And I don't pretend to know her mind when she said it. Do you? This policing of the private mind is a disgusting blight on society.

But she was 13. I am prepared to cut her slack. Had a lot of experience with 3 thirteen year olds and they never struck me as having a nuanced view on race and the intricacies of racially colloquial terms. They were growing kids and did and said stupid things on a whim without thought or maturity or indeed of any consequence of action in mind.

Language gets co-opted for all sorts of things. I never knew ape or monkey was a racial slight until it became an issue with that Indian spinner whatshisname (ummm Harbighan?) and the Indian crowds calling Symonds a monkey and I am a hell of a lot older than 13. I thought it all bit ironic but hey......I am just an old middle class white male so by default am not allowed to point out the weirdness of it all.

But boy oh boy didn't she learn her lesson that society these days polices the private mind and puts onerous and harsh penalties for any that utter words that could be the result of badthink.

Of course she could be the Grand Wizard of the under 13 KKK Australian Chapter for all I know but again making huge assumptions as to whether some 13 old kid is racist with evil intentions and declaring what she said is always rooted in racial hatred is a tad too far for mine.

Going to watch that video when I get home and see what they say. Always like a dichotomy of views on culture. It is hard to get these days because RACIST or SEXIST or MISOGAMY or "INSERT ANY SJW/LEFTIST SCREECH FOR SHUTTING DOWN DISCUSSION" on any topic deemed closed.
Why apologize for the behaviour?

We all know she is just a kid but she clearly grew up in a culture that made racism acceptable. Even the president of her club felt comfortable calling Adam a gorilla.

She was the one that was caught but her family and her community are really to blame.

Which is precisely why they are booing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back