Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you feel like booing him for that? Gee can't imagine why you'd have a problem with someone showing some black pride. Gotta put those uppity aboriginals back in their place eh
They booed him earlier in the game and he did that just to stick it up those who booed him

Steve Johnson and Joel Selwood are two players from the Cats who get booed consistently. Why are boos aimed towards Goodes always deemed to be racially motivated when he is the only indigenous player who gets booed consistently? Guy comes across as a massive attention seeking flog.

on a weekend when people are meant to be coming together, he makes a stupid, selfish gesture which does nothing but separate people and push people apart.

Can only imagine that someone like Michael Long would be pretty embarrassed about this

We wouldn't even be having this discussion/debate if he'd just play the bloody game

We wouldn't even be having this discussion/debate if he probably wasn't subjected to a whole lot of differential and abusive treatment because of his race. I'm pretty sure that would be where the separating people and pushing them apart is coming from.

As I linked in the game day thread this is one from 2008 and you can see from a long time back people starting to get a bit of jack of the way he goes about it on the field. http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/goodes-surely-must-go-this-time.452485/ - Great player, but he is snidely dirty with some of the things he does.

There is no doubt his relationship with the public got much more testy since the 2013 indigenous round. He does bring light a lot of issues that are very much worth discussing, but he comes across with a very much holier than thou attitude and doesn't mind getting on his soap box. Modern Australian society is not a big fan of people who come across that way.

There are definitely some closet racists who are jumping on the bandwagon purely for that reason and are disguising it as something else. But if it were purely racial then why are the public not so frosty to the likes of other indigenous sports people who speak out about indigenous issues - Cathy Freeman, David Wirrpanda, Nova Perris, Arthur Beetson etc. These people all speak/spoke about the same or similar issues but get a much more receptive attitude from the community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People claiming that Goodes is inciting some fans by a show of indigenous pride.

Same people claiming that crowd isn't racist.

Weird how someone who isn't racist would get incited or offended by a show of indigenous pride
It's crazy right.

He celebrates his culture, or overtly identifies with it and people freak.

What about him being proud offends or threatens people?

I think that what he's done is really able to fit in with whatever anyone's preconceived notion of the bloke is.

If you think he's a noble proud aboriginal man, then it's a defiant spit in the face of those who sledge him. If you think he's an A-grade flog then it can definitely be viewed as a floggish act.

I don't really have a problem with the act itself; I'm all for players not being robotic and showing some personality to in and of itself no problem with it whatsoever. But it does fit in with my preconceived notion of him that he is trying to make it all about him - for the second year in a row he's made a public stand to coincide with the indigenous round, to try and turn it into being all about Adam Goodes rather than a celebration of what the indigenous people bring to the game

Firstly I have only ever booed one player (Tippet for receiving a soft free kick) and I've given it to the umps a few times.
With Adam Goodes, most of the booing is in response to how he plays the game, I think most see him as a great player and for this reason his diving and playing for free kicks gives the crowd reason to boo, Pretty much every footballer has been booed, its a natural part of our great game.

I know some boo Goodes for the Australian of the Year award but that is misdirected as the award is granted by a committee, by all means question the merits of the award but that should be directed at the people on the selection committee.

Goodes should cop a fine for his actions towards the Carlton fans, his actions were overly aggressive, (not that I want to be seen defending Carlton people ;)) its a pity that a Yarran or someone didn't get in his face to make the point.

I don't mind seeing different goal celebrations, would love to see our Irish boys bring out the jigs when they kick goals.

To be honest, I don't mind Adam speaking out. I wish more women would speak out about how being female is portrayed - if a player squibs a contest, he's a "pussy", if a player sooks he's told to "stop being a girl". Why is being female seen as being so negative?

It just means we have to think twice about what we yell over the fence. I have no problem with booing every so often (just ask Jay Schultz, Jack Riewoldt, Jared Polec, Matthew Pavlich, and Lindsay Thomas. Can't stand any of them) just be careful what you say. Although I do have a problem with people jumping the gun, I called out "DUCK!" against Sydney one game and my mother ripped me a new one, even though it WAS a ducked tackle that the umpire missed and I didn't see anything racist about it.

Although I'd like Adam Goodes more if he'd have a bad game against Joel Patfull though...

Pretty sure we just witnessed a well thought out political statement rather than a reaction to to some opposition fans booing him there. Its no coincidence that this is Indigenous round. I think Adam wants to be remembered with the likes of Nicky Winmar for an iconic aboriginal statement more than anything else.
The difference between the two is that the world was against Winmar, while Goodes is against the world.
They will never be the same.

Australia is a racist country - fact. The booing of Adam Goodes is a manifestation of the casual racism & tall-poppy syndrome (that is another matter in itself) in Australia. I have no doubt that you casual racists boo him because you think he is a tosser, what concerns me is why you think he is a tosser...

Indigenous man takes pride in his heritage and does a traditional war-cry tribute and a concerning amount of people scream "flog". People, try and dress that up any way other for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back