Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except why is there always an assumption that it is about his race? He dives, whinges to umpires and is a dirty player, so he gets booed initially. Then the media get on it and play the race card, Goodes does interviews and does nothing to dismiss this, which people dislike. The cycle then repeats with ducks and dives, boos are released, then more race cards played.

He has actually dismissed it in the past, and said he wasn't sure why they were booing. The media kept asking the question and added the racism element to the question, at which point Goodes had to address that particular aspect as part of the question, and it has snowballed from there.

The media frames these things and they take a life of their own, particularly with social media contributing to the agenda.

The guy was booed long before any incident with the collingwood girl, whether it's his finger pointing of his players for a spray when he was standing around, his diving or his diving in with the knees into an opponent or over the top goal celebrations (which l have no problem with). He's done some thuggish stuff on the field and people calling booing casual racism are deadset off the mark largely.

I'll say this once seem it can't be comprehended by people, it is by and large not racially motivated and it's not casual racism. He is booed (not that l would boo him or any other player) and has been booed for over a decade at times because he's done some less than reputable things on the field, it's why Thomas is booed, why Johnson is booed often, they do dodgy stuff in field. All three in Thomas, goodes and Johnson do good off field stuff with the community, kudos, but they are still booed due to on field actions, not due to their racial heritage.
And they stay quiet off the field. They don't make you feel uncomfortable by talking bout race relations or any of that s**t right?
Indigenous players are fine. Just as long as they don't make too much noise.
I think this is a good comment. As a person of his profile, he really does seem to enjoy this "us against them" platform, which you would think would be unbecoming of someone anointed as "Australian of the Year". His holier than thou attitude really can't be doing the aboriginal cause much good right now. Imagine if all other aboriginal players strutted around with the arrogance of Goodes and did the things he did, the football public would he learning to detest aboriginals rather than embrace them.
So you're saying it would be alright for people to detest indigenous people if a few players behaved arrogantly?
As for us against them... a lot of indigenous people fell very angry about the way their people have been treated. If you can't understand why, I can't help you.

I think I should go see a doctor or psychiatrist or something. Everywhere I turn people are telling me that I should be outraged about this. But I'm not. Everyone is making it a big deal. But I don't think it is one way or the other. What's wrong with me?

Last edited:
I don't think you realize.

It is the way he plays the game in which makes a him a flog.

He knows he gets booed because he is a flog but hides behind the race card.

I'm not denying that there are many aspects of Goodes' game and behaviour that contribute to the public disliking him. However, there's no doubt there's a racist element to it, and I don't think a lot of the casual racists realise it.

One of the games greats celebrated a goal. End of story.

A regulation goal against sub-par opposition that was not worth celebratin (re: anyone could have kicked it).

It's like celebrating a goal scored against the flow of play despite being 120 points behind the other team. Which coincidentally Adam Goodes happened to do in last years grand final, kicked a goal and acted like Sydney were still in it despite being so far behind.

selasi.jpg

'until the colour of a man's skin is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes... there will be war (cries)'

Goodes deserves to be booed for his behaviour on the field. He should be given no special treatment due to his colour.

Try speaking up as an aboriginal and you will very quickly discover Australia's racism.
Okay. I work with Aboriginal people all day. I live in an area with a high Indigenous population. I would like top think I have a decent handle on these issues, despite being white myself. One common thread I notice is that the majority prefer to be treated equal to Caucasians. What have you experienced?

Try speaking up as an aboriginal and you will very quickly discover Australia's racism.
In certain areas certainly, but overall definitely not the case, both Aboriginal and non aboriginal people have worked extraordinarily hard to remove racism in Australia and give Aboriginal people an opportunity to succeed, much work remains to be done, but at least we are starting to move forward with progress.

No - if we see a flog we call them a flog. Calling somone a flog has nothing to do with skin colour.
There are a lot of flogs in AFL.

A lot of players seek frees (in fact pretty much all of them). A lot of players have tackled dangerously (as you know).

Only a few players have had the courage to stand up against racism. One of those players is now public enemy no 1.

It's not hard to see the connection.

He has actually dismissed it in the past, and said he wasn't sure why they were booing.

So he doesn't think its relevant when he does something on field to a team hes playing and gets boos later that game? He think its a mystery does he? Or on the return game against a side he's done something like stage a free, or slide in or whinge to umps and give the finger to fans that somehow doesn't get reported on (so protected he is) -- again, a complete mystery to him how he's getting these boos?

You know full well he knows the reasons are his actions, he just can't admit that publicly as that is giving attention to his character in a negative light. And he needs a positive media image to run for office down the line.

So indigenous people can go around doing whatever they want?

Yes they can die earlier, have lower education rates, higher imprisonment rates, higher rates of diabetes, face higher levels of discrimination in the workplace and in society.

He did a friccin dance (albeit I agree at the opposition crowd is not a good look) - you make it sound like he unfurled a DAESH flag and discharged a pistol into the crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In certain areas certainly, but overall definitely not the case, both Aboriginal and non aboriginal people have worked extraordinarily hard to remove racism in Australia and give Aboriginal people an opportunity to succeed, much work remains to be done, but at least we are starting to move forward with progress.
Adam Goodes is one of those people who is working hard to help Aboriginal people succeed. Indeed he was honoured as AOTY for the work he is doing.

This has been mentioned as one of the reasons why he must be booed.

If an Aboriginal man is booed on the national stage because he advocates racial equality - we need to assume that the nation has a pretty major racist underbelly.

They scream flog because he has a cry about being booed last week then this week specifically targets crowd members who booed him earlier in the game. It wouldn't matter if he was white, black, hispanic etc he would still be considered a flog.
Did he have a cry about being booed?

From what I recall, the media asked him why he was booed, and he said he didn't know why. He said it didn't worry him, but it did affect his family and friends.

To be honest, I'm not even sure if he even went as far as to ask people to stop doing it...

Last edited:

People in this country aren't as much as racist as they feel a need to be outraged by something...

And this thread highlights this point exactly.

I have never seen such bullshit outrage. How precious are some of you blokes that you are outraged at Goodes's little jig last night. It's as if it's a personal insult.

A regulation goal against sub-par opposition that was not worth celebratin (re: anyone could have kicked it).

It's like celebrating a goal scored against the flow of play despite being 120 points behind the other team. Which coincidentally Adam Goodes happened to do in last years grand final, kicked a goal and acted like Sydney were still in it despite being so far behind.
So what??
Should he ring you after each goal and ask for your approval for the appropriate level of celebration?

I'd love someone to put together a video of all the 'sniping', 'whinging', 'dirty tactics' etc etc that Goodes does week in week out.

Shouldn't be hard to get heaps of quality footage given how often it apparently happens.

Maybe it could be worthwhile doing something similar for say, Sam Mitchell or Joel Selwood, 2 universally respected players.

I reckon you could find plenty of cheap shots and whinging from this 2 as well, without having to look too far.

Last edited:
Adam Goodes is one of those people who is working hard to help Aboriginal people succeed. Indeed he was honoured as AOTY for the work he is doing.

This has been mentioned as one of the reasons why he must be booed.

If an Aboriginal man is booed on the national stage because he advocates racial equality - we need to assume that the nation has a pretty major racist underbelly.
There's always a few with a racial motivation, but this is not the era of racial social Darwinism. People felt (not myself) that he only got the aus of the year for the collingwood girl finger pointing and not his off field work. FWIW, Lindsay Thomas gets called all kinds of names and has done just as much off field stuff as goodes. Johnson, selwood also get booed, but do plenty of good off field stuff as well.

There are a lot of flogs in AFL.

A lot of players seek frees (in fact pretty much all of them). A lot of players have tackled dangerously (as you know).

Only a few players have had the courage to stand up against racism. One of those players is now public enemy no 1.

It's not hard to see the connection.

One also stood up, acted like a sanctimonious twit, was awarded a prestigious honour in a publicity stunt, hides behind his race and has a history of being a dirty player, but let's not focus on any of that because he's heroic because of his colour.

You're right. Not hard to see at all.

I thin Adam tries to unite people, but instead he divides them. I think he has a lot to offer the community. His heart is in the right place, but his actions are provocative. His actions at the moment are dividing people and I am sure that is not what he really wants. i hope he can find the right balance, because I do believe he has much to offer.

So what??
Should he ring you after each goal and ask for your approval for the appropriate level of celebration?

I say this against EVERY player that does it. Heck some soccer celebrations are OTT as well. It happens all the time.

There's no point celebrating like you've won the grand final despite beating the team last on the ladder and you're already in front by a solid margin.
There's also no point celebrating like you are still in a match after kicking a goal while still 10 goals down.

So he doesn't think its relevant when he does something on field to a team hes playing and gets boos later that game? He think its a mystery does he? Or on the return game against a side he's done something like stage a free, or slide in or whinge to umps and give the finger to fans that somehow doesn't get reported on (so protected he is) -- again, a complete mystery to him how he's getting these boos?

You know full well he knows the reasons are his actions, he just can't admit that publicly as that is giving attention to his character in a negative light. And he needs a positive media image to run for office down the line.

I was specifically responding to the question "why hasn't he dismissed it", referring to being booed due to racism. I said he has attempted to downplay it, by saying he wasn't sure. I'm saying he wasn't the one who specifically put racism on the agenda when he was asked why he gets booed, the media did.

If he had suggested reasons why, I'm sure multiple things would have crossed his mind, including his staging, including his sliding/dirty play, and including racism. But he did the respectful thing by playing a straight bat. And what player do you know that's come out and said the fans were booing them because they're a dirty sniper? That would be a ridiculous response, regardless of whether it was obvious or not.

Your question is ridiculous and showed you missed the point

I thin Adam tries to unite people, but instead he divides them. I think he has a lot to offer the community. His heart is in the right place, but his actions are provocative. His actions at the moment are dividing people and I am sure that is not what he really wants. i hope he can find the right balance, because I do believe he has much to offer.

I'm actually not convinced that highlighting the differences of people and treating them differently actually helps create unity, generally speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back