Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he showed great pride in his heritage. Not sure whether it was directed specifically at KARLton supporters, only Goodes can honestly answer that.

Only surprise was that he didn't take a dive at the end of the celebration and stage for a free.

Adam Goodes is one of those people who is working hard to help Aboriginal people succeed. Indeed he was honoured as AOTY for the work he is doing.

This has been mentioned as one of the reasons why he must be booed.

If an Aboriginal man is booed on the national stage because he advocates racial equality - we need to assume that the nation has a pretty major racist underbelly.

Yeeah ...nah - Wirrpanda never got booed.

I'm sure it is his perceived whinge factor.

I'm actually not convinced that highlighting the differences of people and treating them differently actually helps create unity, generally speaking.
That's why I said his actions at the moment are dividing people...

And they stay quiet off the field. They don't make you feel uncomfortable by talking bout race relations or any of that s**t right?
Indigenous players are fine. Just as long as they don't make too much noise.
That's a crock of crap and you know it. People in Australia have been talking about race relations a lot longer than Adam goodes being around. It's taught in schools, the history of the stolen generations and cultural tolerance is taught at the school level. This is not the 1950s anymore.

As for what they say off-field, both Lindsay Thomas and Daniel wells actively talk about their Aboriginal pride and heritage and acknowledge the difficulties that the krackeour brothers and Winmar had to put up with.

I hate the term race too on a sidenote, such a social Darwin term.

Fair dinkum. When I first saw this last night my immediate comment to the wife was "Fantastic! Good to see a bit of theatre in modern footy!"

I had no inkling whatsoever that people would react with such outrage what looked to me like a pretty authentic traditional dance (even if it was based on a fairly recent movement synthesis, I've seen enough traditional aboriginal dance to know it looked pretty authentic and well-executed).

And it's nothing to do with being a Swans fan. I can honestly say I would have said the same if Goodes played for Collingwood. (And I don't say that lightly.)

So what? You've never seen a player taunt opposition supporters? fmd. That is literally a weekly occurrence.

I just read a comment, which I can only assume was serious, calling this 'reverse racism'. I literally cannot even. Anyone who has a problem with a f*king goal celebration have a long hard look at yourselves and consider why this would make you uncomfortable. This entire thread is a disgrace.

You said it yourself, it was done to taunt the opposition crowd to give them a big * you. Although the swans were 10 goals up in a one sided affair.

If it was Milne or Ballantyne you would be calling them selfish little flogs,

It wasn't a celebration at all, if it was he would be in front of his adoring fans

Leigh Matthews started the booing with his protected species agenda and the sheep followed. It snowballs with every incident. Not about racism for the majority of people just the mob mentality of enjoying a boo usually followed with a laugh at just joining in. There are a few who really get carried away with their hate and they look mental more than anything. I just hate when somebody comes out to say hey lets not boo. Seriously, red flag to a bull stuff. It's disappointing for Adam I can only imagine by human nature that it would feel pretty crap no matter what line you take with the media to say it doesn't effect you. When it gets to this level of booing or hate it's just not funny anymore just sad.

I think some people maybe are stretching this a bit far about Goodes being a staging flog being at the core of all this ... I do not see threads on here about other "staging flogs" being filled with discussions on the player's race.

Sure other Aboriginal players have had different agendas, different way to do express themselves - but you understand that saying "Why can't Goodes be more like <insert famous Aboriginal Player here>?" is the epitome of racism ... right?

If you struggle to understand why an Aboriginal leader might use his celebrity to try and highlight his people's challenges - then that's ok, maybe you are just a bit lacking in empathy in all this?

Go and watch "A Class Divided: The Blue Eyes, Brown Eyes Experiment" if you think you understand what it is like to be a victim of racism.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's always a few with a racial motivation, but this is not the era of racial social Darwinism. People felt (not myself) that he only got the aus of the year for the collingwood girl finger pointing and not his off field work. FWIW, Lindsay Thomas gets called all kinds of names and has done just as much off field stuff as goodes. Johnson, selwood also get booed, but do plenty of good off field stuff as well.
I don't understand why he is criticized for being honoured with Australian of the Year.

What was he supposed to do? Refuse the honour because some AFL supporters might get the wrong idea?

At some point you have to realize this desperate need to hate Adam goes deeper than any logical reason. It's racism and it is ugly.

I thin Adam tries to unite people, but instead he divides them. I think he has a lot to offer the community. His heart is in the right place, but his actions are provocative. His actions at the moment are dividing people and I am sure that is not what he really wants. i hope he can find the right balance, because I do believe he has much to offer.

This is what I think ....I'm too busy with my one man comedy act to write it (don't forget tees are on sale) but I do think it.

I say this against EVERY player that does it. Heck some soccer celebrations are OTT as well. It happens all the time.

There's no point celebrating like you've won the grand final despite beating the team last on the ladder and you're already in front by a solid margin.
There's also no point celebrating like you are still in a match after kicking a goal while still 10 goals down.
Ok I will remember that for next time and boo all excessive celebrators. Can't have players enjoying themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why he is criticized for being honoured with Australian of the Year.

What was he supposed to do? Refuse the honour because some AFL supporters might get the wrong idea?

At some point you have to realize this desperate need to hate Adam goes deeper than any logical reason. It's racism and it is ugly.
As I've stated non stop for two days , there's an element of racism involved from a small minority, but he has been booed for his on field stuff (not getting into that again) long before any finger pointing.

As I've stated non stop for two days , there's an element of racism involved from a small minority, but he has been booed for his on field stuff (not getting into that again) long before any finger pointing.
Yes he was.
But since he made a stand against racism the booing has increased 10 fold. Perhaps it's not a small minority at all.

He has actually dismissed it in the past, and said he wasn't sure why they were booing. The media kept asking the question and added the racism element to the question, at which point Goodes had to address that particular aspect as part of the question, and it has snowballed from there.

The media frames these things and they take a life of their own, particularly with social media contributing to the agenda.

No doubt the media have set this whole story up. Without their input Goodes is just another unlikable football player who is boo'd, there are plenty of them. No story, move on.

But surely you can see that he hasn't exactly helped things. Doing a war dance directly at Carlton fans, knowing full well the reaction it would get, was antagonistic. Its not better than just giving them the finger.

He's had a few opportunities to be the bigger man and rarely taken it.

Im sure there are isolated incidents, but there is no systematic booing of Joel Selwood. He is considered as one of the bigger stagers for free kicks.

ue

Yes he was.
But since he made a stand against racism the booing has increased 10 fold. Perhaps it's not a small minority at all.
Maybe, l suspect it's more to do with people believing that the action of finger pointing at a young girl was over the top (I personally don't think it was) and he could have handled it differently, either that people felt others should have got aoty ahead of him.

I

Sure other Aboriginal players have had different agendas, different way to do express themselves - but you understand that saying "Why can't Goodes be more like <insert faous Aboriginal Player here>?" is the epitome of racism ... right?
(snipped for focus)

OK. But people want Goodes be more like this guy as far as the staging stuff goes:

First the was the Goodes-like defence mechanism:
GEELONG superstar Jimmy Bartel has passionately rejected accusations he took a dive to win a free kick during the Cats loss to Hawthorn on Saturday night.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...horn-in-round-22/story-fni5f6yf-1227039641373

Then there was the acceptance he may have been a massive flog about the issue:
442184-84da5014-3e0e-11e4-b47e-8d2e235f360a.jpg

Biggest issue with Adam Goodes is he takes himself way too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back