Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

I was bitterly disappointed that Goodes wasn't going to break the record at the SCG in instead will do it in Tasmania but so be it. It's an incredible achievement to play so many games in as little time as he has. Could push the 400 mark. If I had to guess, I'd say he will pull up just short but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him make it.

One of the more remarkable athletes this game has seen and one of the best players of the modern era. I've been lucky that I've been able to watch his entire career as he came into the side just as I got into the Swans as an 8 yo. But watching him blossom has been an absolute joy and he'll go down as one of the Swans' best 2 players of all time (nobody can surpass Bob Skilton).

HOF bound for sure.

Some of Adam's achievements in an amazing career (so far)

• 2 Grand Finals (2005, 2006) for 1 premiership (2005)
  • 2 Brownlow Medals (2003, 2006)
  • 3 Bob Skilton Medals (2003, 2006, 2011)
  • 4 All Australian selections (2003, 2006, 2009, 2011) - first one was as a ruckman!
  • AFL Rising Star 1999
  • Sydney co-captain since 2009
  • Named in the Indigenous Team of the Century
  • Represented Australia in International Rules 2001, and captained the team in 2010
  • Represented Victoria in State of Origin 2008
  • Fastest player to 300 games
  • 303 games including 20 finals across 10 finals series (99, 01, 03-08, 10, 11). 356 goals and 156 Brownlow votes.
  • 204 consecutive games between 1999-2008. The 2nd best streak after Jim Stynes' 244.

Not bad considering he went at pick number 43 in the draft.:eek:

I think he's pretty dirty and complains more than any player in the AFL over the past 5 years, but I respect his talent.

I think he's pretty dirty and complains more than any player in the AFL over the past 5 years, but I respect his talent.

Are you kidding? He is one of the most respected players by his peers - you know the ones he plays against. Champion player and person, he can complain all he likes he is our captain. Give credit where credit is due. He will be a legend and the word "dirty" does not come into it. Unbelievable.

Not bad considering he went at pick number 43 in the draft.:eek:

Jimmy Hird went higher. #79 infact!

Who cares where you're drafted. It's a great career to overcome such hurdles and adversity along the way. Shame on the AFL for suspending him a couple weeks ago. Nothing in that slide vs PA.

Enough with the dirty/sniper crap. If it was a 'Do you like Adam Goodes thread?' then I'd leave it, but not a fan of milestone threads full of posts bagging the player.

Bit pissweak AG, the OP does ask where posters rate him, pretty hard to rate people immune from criticism.

I didn't think that post was that bad, I don't think he's dirty but he can appear to crack the sads at times.

Great effort to break the record, I'd have him top 5 in the last decade.

I don't like him at all, but still have massive respect for him. Amazing player.
Great effort to be a clubs games record holder.
I would say he is a top 5 player of the last 10-15 years. Definitely.

The old chestnut........."I don't like him at all, but"...........is something I don't quite understand when it comes to Goodsey. Quite entitled to your opinion by the way! Now here's mine!

I'm curious when I hear this from Doggie supporters! Did & do you still feel the same way about Barry Hall? You know him? He's the bloke that got booed by your mob every time we played. The same bloke that whacked Chris Grant behind the play. The much loved true club great, Chris Grant...........but now not anywhere near as much loved as Bazza!!

On the dirty player scale, where do Doggies have Goodesy compared to Bazza?

Just curious!

Cheers!:)

Oh by the way!

You are one of the best of all time Goodesy & you are one of the gentleman of the AFL.......on & off the field!
You play the game the way ALL supporters would want their players to play. Hard & fair. You sometimes get it wrong, but when such a big bloke can play small as well as tall, this will happen from time to time when one registers 300 plus games!

Refer to Dustin Fletcher!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like him at all, but still have massive respect for him. Amazing player.
Great effort to be a clubs games record holder.
I would say he is a top 5 player of the last 10-15 years. Definitely.

Pleas explain.
I can understand this with guys like Ballantyne, but how could someone say this about Goodes?

Pleas explain.
I can understand this with guys like Ballantyne, but how could someone say this about Goodes?

I can't speak for that poster, and I suspect Goodes is a great bloke in real life, but as someone who watches a lot of Swans games (because they were all that was on TV here before this year) Goodes can often come across as petulant on the field with his protesting for free kicks. Often it seems to be at the expense of applying pressure to the man with the ball or contesting the ball.

I can't speak for that poster, and I suspect Goodes is a great bloke in real life, but as someone who watches a lot of Swans games (because they were all that was on TV here before this year) Goodes can often come across as petulant on the field with his protesting for free kicks. Often it seems to be at the expense of applying pressure to the man with the ball or contesting the ball.

Yep, just like other blokes such as Buddy is, Richo used to be. There are plenty of others too. Honestly not sure why Swans supporters care if he's liked or not by others - they have no choice but to respect his quality of play though.

Back on Goodes, Paul Roos is on record as saying that he thinks Goodes can reach 400 games, and as he reaches towards the end of his career can prolong it by playing as a full forward a la Bernie Quinlan.

Yep, just like other blokes such as Buddy is, Richo used to be. There are plenty of others too. Honestly not sure why Swans supporters care if he's liked or not by others - they have no choice but to respect his quality of play though.

Guess it comes down to the fact that he has been so good for so long and is not rated that much by media ie Melbourne media. He is often overlooked, where other players are praised beyond belief. I mention Judd, Ablett and Buddy ( I am not at all disparaging these players they deserve the wraps they get) to name a few. Goodes does not walk on water but for Swans fans he is very special not only for his playing ability but for the person he is. Its not a matter of not liking him its the crap that comes for different quarters ie sniper, dirty, petulant or whatever.

Should've broke the record last week at the SCG tearing North apart, it's not like he snapped a guys leg....... Yes I'm bitter.:mad:

The thing that is dumb about the Goodes hate on BigFooty and to a lesser extent the media, is that people have these huge double standards. We just got done having a week long Dustin Fletcher love-fest a couple of weeks a go. Obviously he's a legend of the game but he's got a record twice as long as Goodes. Fletcher's been cited for tripping like five times now. But when he does anything it's just wily old timer.

Judd's an eye gouger.

Richo was one of the most petulant team mates of the modern era, but hey he was a character in a really crappy team so who cares?

I'm not even saying those players/incidents are horrible unforgivable things. But there's a double standard. Goodes hasn't been perfect over his career, but his 'indiscrections' are so overhyped. He bumped into Hird's back a few times and clashed shins with Surjan, what a monster!

Guess it comes down to the fact that he has been so good for so long and is not rated that much by media ie Melbourne media. He is often overlooked, where other players are praised beyond belief. I mention Judd, Ablett and Buddy ( I am not at all disparaging these players they deserve the wraps they get) to name a few. Goodes does not walk on water but for Swans fans he is very special not only for his playing ability but for the person he is. Its not a matter of not liking him its the crap that comes for different quarters ie sniper, dirty, petulant or whatever.

Or to look at it from the reverse perspective.

You (and other swans fans) are complaining that the rest of the footy world doesn't rate him as highly as you (and presumably the Sydney media) all do.

I got used to it some time ago. The fact people feel the need to target his character generally means they rate him as a player.

Our club has had some absolute legends pull on the red and white over the years... Skilton, Lockett, Pratt, Williams, Nash, Kelly. Goodes name doesn't look out of place next to them.

Champion player of recent times and no wonder the high regard he is held in especially by Swans fans. I suspect just about every follower of AFL would love to have A Goodes in their lineup. Pardon the pun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back